Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The glory symbol is represented in the rulebook and on the game components as an "X." I wonder why they did this.
First of all, I'm not sure what it necessarily links with. Why is glory an "X?" Hmmm... can't think of any reason.
Second, when getting your glory chips, most people would think of them as a Cross and arrange them thus; this is the natural reaction by many. Now a Crusader's Cross - which is what the glory symbol looks like turned 45º - as opposed to an "X" is a great symbol for "glory." Most great powers colonizing new lands spread Christianity with their conquests, and colonizing the Mediterranean et al would be a perfect fit for the Crusader's Cross because the spread of Christianity and the Crusades were considered glorious.
So, we see that the glory symbol turned 45º is a great thematic symbol for "glory" as opposed to an "X." So now the question is: Did Zman choose to make it an "X" because they needed to be "politically correct?"
Or is it coincidence? It looks so much like a Crusader's Cross, I have a hard time thinking it is the latter.

If this is controversial, and you hate that fact, forgive me; but I'm curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the X stands for xpansion, or xplore? The arrows on the ends of the X made it look more like expanding your territory to me. Because certainly the theme makes expansion seem glorious.

Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
It looks like the stylized "fortress" symbol used on some old maps to indicate fortified settlements. Seems perfectly appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
It looks like the stylized "fortress" symbol used on some old maps to indicate fortified settlements. Seems perfectly appropriate.

OK, sounds good. But I still think that they could have found a prettier symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
OK, sounds good. But I still think that they could have found a prettier symbol.

I generally feel this way about at least one counter type in nearly every game with counters that I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
Now a Crusader's Cross - which is what the glory symbol looks like turned 45º - as opposed to an "X" is a great symbol for "glory."

In many secret societies there are secret symbols that only reveal themselves when looked at in a secret way. You might want to start looking over your shoulder, as revealing the secret way of looking at secret symbols in a secret society can be dealt with quite harshly. And not actually being in the secret society doesn't exempt those outsiders who just happen to be too clever for their own good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
And not actually being in the secret society doesn't exempt those outsiders who just happen to be too clever for their own good.

I can't help it; I'm a Go player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.