Popular Tags: gotw [+] later [+] GofTW [+] [View All]
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An Introduction to your GotW #209

After my turn as GotW #208, there were several BGG users that I considered asking to be the next GotW, because I noticed that there were several great contributors on the list of Top 20 BGG Awarded Contributors who had not yet had the honour of being GotW. But my first choice was another name that probably all of us have seen around the site at one time or another, and I'm grateful that he accepted. Almost certainly you will recognize his avatar! His impressive credentials include:
* He's been an outstanding contributor for more than two years.
* He has initiated the "Great Thumbing Project", an ambitious effort to view every single image on BGG and thumb when appropriate.
* He's an unceasing advocate for high quality images, and has created numerous tutorials to assist other users improve their photography
* His own photographic contributions are outstanding, and he even has a website dedicated to quality board game photos.
* He faithfully runs the Picture Picks contest every month.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your GotW #209:
Gamephotos!

N/A
A Biography of your GotW #209

Here's his biography, in his own words:
Gamephotos wrote:
Like many children of the 1960's, I was introduced to board games alternatives to Monopoly and Scrabble in my early teens - games like Diplomacy, Black Box, Mine A Million, and Blast Off! - and this budding interest in gaming was overwhelmed by the new kid on the block - Dungeons and Dragons. So began a 15 year affair with AD&D, war games and board games, with many 'study' hours devoted to Apocalypse, Civilisation, War of the Ring, Ace of Aces and Kingmaker.

Leaving university meant getting married, a lot of moves, having children and a complete lack of time for gaming in any form.

Eventually, in 1999, we moved to an area where we intended to stay for a long time and things started to settle down, but the area is sparsely populated. Computer games were getting better and this filled the gaming gap for a while, but it just didn't scratch the itch of face to face gaming.

Well, in January 2006, we eventually got to the point where the children didn't need so many taxi rides and the odd weekend wasn't filled with kids activities. This prompted me to see if there were any local gaming groups that played the sort of games I had at the back of the cupboard - I wasn't looking for wargamers, or role players, or Games Workshop figure collectors.

As luck would have it, there was a group about 50km away which met on Saturday afternoons and this was close enough to attend. At the same time I discovered BGG and my gaming hobby took off again in a big way.

With the wealth of new games released in the last 10 years, there was a lot of catching up to do, which isn't a chore, but it's a bit frustrating that there aren't enough hours in the day sometimes.

BGG kindled my interest in photography and I slowly got into game photography in a big way - a hobby that I'll be pursuing for a long time to come.

Nowadays, I get to game at least twice a month, and that's at least 240 hours a year. When not gaming, I'm planning photo shoots, trying to encourage others to enjoy photography, and learning more and more about photography.

I have been asked to be GotW before, but didn't feel the time was right. As some will know, I'm recovering from a bout of depression and when asked this time, I decided to say yes.

Although I've not added much to BGG this year, I am planning a series of Geek Lists that will cover every aspect of game photography and I'll be taking a lot more photographs in the coming months.

2 truths and a lie:

1) I'm a semi-professional photograhper in the real world.

2) My handmade Belgian chocolates are very reasonably priced and much appreciated, especially the alcoholic ones.

3) I provide a range of IT support services to a number of businesses.

Some Contributions of your GotW #209

I highly respect Gamephotos for his wonderful contributions to game photography on BGG, his efforts to elevate the standard of images, his generous offers to give others all the help they need to accomplish this, and the positive encouragement he has given other image uploaders. He has also courageously shared some of his own personal struggles so if you have anything harsh to say about the man you would do well to first read that post and stick your head in a bucket of cold water.

Want to know more about Gamephotos? You can read something about his history here. Read his heartwarming thoughts about a special gift of friendship here. But most importantly, check out his many outstanding contributions on the subject of photography. Here's a few lists to get you started:
Meta List: Gamephotos' Lists On Game Photography
Meta List: Image Picks By Gamephotos
An Invitation To View The Art Collection Of Gamephotos

Some Questions for your GotW #209

To get the ball rolling, let me start with 10 questions that your GotW #209 can respond to at his leisure, when time and opportunity permits:

1. Your avatar features one of your images that has garnered 150 thumbs. Can you tell us about how this memorable image came to be, how you accomplished it, what inspired it, and how it came to be your avatar?

2. One of your most-thumbed images features an "Elusive Golden Meeple Found At Remote Monastery". Can you share anything more about this Golden Meeple, and this particular image?

3. Of the game photos you have taken yourselves, which ones might be your 10 personal favourites, and why?

4. As a result of a lifelong interest in board games and an interest in photography, you have created your own website, www.boardgamephotos.com, which documents an amazing amount of high quality game photos in a beautifully organized fashion. How many of your photos does your website currently feature, and at what stage of this project are you currently at? Do you have any further plans or ideas about how you will develop this further?

5. Which photographers on BGG do you admire the most? Are there any particular photographic contributions that especially stand out?

6. How did the Great Thumbing Project originate? What is its current status, and how do you go about doing it?

7. On more than one occasion you've shared some interesting statistics about images and thumbs on BGG. Are there similar projects that you are currently working on?

8. You have added quite a few items to the BGG database. Can you tell us anything about your own game collection?

9. Can you share something about your taste in games? Are there any favourite genres or types of game that you especially enjoy? What games might be in your theoretical top 10?

10. How often do you play games, and do you have some people that you play with regularly? What are the last five games you played, and can you tell us about them?

Congratulations, and have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOOOOHOOO first post!!! Grats Gamephotos!!!! laugh

Question: have you ever considered making a game from your photos (either a homemade copy of a pre-existing game or creating a game of your own?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Keep up the good work. Ender had many good questions so I can't think of any right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Choice!

So Gamephotos - which is your single favourite photo on BGG:

1) That you took

&

2) That someone else took?

Thanks for all the great photography geeklists!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent choice.

Quote:
...there were several BGG users that I considered asking to be the next GotW, because I noticed that there were several great contributors...

Was the final decision a photo finish?

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hurrah, hurrah - a Brit at long last.

Good luck and enjoy your week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent choice - congratulations, GP!!!

My question for you:

11. Although you run the picture pick contest each month, you do so very objectively. Strictly off the record - what's your favorite type of photo on BGG? And what's your favorite contest entry ever?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!! Again a great pick for GotW! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick McElveen
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Mmmmmm..... Beer. Glug glug glug....
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations--most well deserved!

Question: If you could give people just one piece of advice about how to take good close-up photos of game components, what would it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Denholm
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the honor, and thanks for all the great photos. Here's a purely mechanical question that I haven't managed to dig up an answer for - how many photos do you have to contribute to become a Golden Image Uploader? Silver? Platinum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on another super GoTW selection! thumbsup

Question:

What is your most and least favorite game mechanic and why?

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gamephotos wrote:
This time I accepted as my situation is different. For those who don't know or are too lazy to follow links above, I'm recovering from a bout of severe depression, so I'm more able to respond to questions and my emotional state is much more stable than it's been for nearly 3 years.

gamephotos wrote:
So, I've accepted being GotW and I'm ready to respond to questions

Edit: Found my (Cylon)voice again and must immediately point out to Gamephotos new masterpiece in simplicity and subtle asymmetry (hope to see it on the frontpage soon...):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can hardly believe he was not GotW already!

CONGRATULTATIONS to an institution and a generous, very helpful geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Congrats dude!

I read a thread of yours a while back mentioning game photo contest that were themed. Any more on the thought? (Or are they already going on and I've just missed them..)

Anyways, one of my regular questions..

If you could live in/at the setting of any board what game would it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Long time no speak but congratulations.

Nice to note I am amongst a fair contingent of my favourite geeks as well. You draw a quality crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Hope you have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was totally sure you've been geek of the week at least 100 weeks ago. Amazing choice for GotW!

Questions:
1. I guess you take photos of other things than board games as well. What kind of subjects/themes do you prefer when not photographing board games?
2. You've taken many photos and watched many photos of board games. I guess by now you have preferences when it comes to the look of the games. Are there any board game artist styles and/or artists that you like? Which games do you think look best? Which good games do you think have a terrible artwork?
3. What is the method you use for the random participation prizes at the picture picks competitions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I concur, how have you not been GotW before, congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Osborn
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised he'd never been Geek of the Week before! It's about time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Gamephotos, both on being nominated as geek of the week, and on being able to accept... You are truly deserving of the accolade.

I would first like to thank you for everything you have contributed to the 'geek, both in terms of contributions made, but also all the great discussion on game photography you have brought to us... all the advice on photography and the editing tips, as well as your tireless dedication to thumbing photographs. You have inspired myself, and countless other amateur game photographers to really improve the quality of what we submit, and helped us to do so.

Secondly, I have a few questions that I have been known to ask Geeks of the week...

1) If you could pick 1 Best New game of the last 12 months, what would it be and why?

2) If you were only allowed to keep 5 games from your collection, but knew that you would always have enough time, and the right number of people to play any of them whenever you wanted, which 5 games would you keep?

3) If you were asked to recommend a game to a family of say 3 or 4, knowing that they would have to learn the game themselves (without any input from yourself, or any other game geeks), what game would you pick?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations. Good to have a British geek of the week. Maybe this is the start of the next British invasion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice, great avatar, great contributor.

I may have more questions later, but thought I'd get my usual 10 (from Pivot/Proust) in asap:

1. What is your favourite word?
2. What is your least favourite word?
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? (or, what's your favourite drug?)
4. Whom would you put on a new currency bill?
5. What sound or noise do you love?
6. What sound or noise do you hate?
7. What is your favourite curse word?
8. What profession would you not like to do?
9. If reincarnation exists, in the form of which plant, tree, or animal would you like to return?
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

Enjoy your week, Gamephotos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JM G
Guadeloupe
Moule
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could not be more deserved...
Sinceer congratulations! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Excellent choice. Enjoy the week!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.