Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read that each booster contains 1 rare, 7 fast commons, and 7 slow commons, but are they balanced in any other way? Or is it otherwise totally random? For example, can I shuffle all my boosters together and have each player randomly grab 2 rares, 14 fast commons, and 14 slow commons, and expect a fairly balanced game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Kitner
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much yeah. If these cards were in any other game, they would be broken. However, playing them against each other they are completely balanced.

Case in point. I just got my box of Time Wars (the expansion set for Epic) and decided, instead of just ripping them all open, I would try playing a couple of sealed 2pk games with my wife.

Over the weekend, we played our first 2 pk sealed game and it was very close. It could have really gone either way and I really enjoyed playing that way. I didn't have to think so much about deck composition and balance and was able to just play on a reactionary basis. Sort of like firing from the hip if you know what I mean.

So, yeah, to answer your question, I would believe the cards are pretty balanced out of the packs, even though they are random.

I hope you enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a more subtle seeding to the common cards in the boosters that is important on a competitive level...for example, 99% of all boosters have exactly one common featuring "stop target card" in the text. This means that in sealed 3, you and your opponents are pretty much guaranteed to have exactly three "stops" which can be an important strategic consideration in a long game. If you're just playing for fun though, it won't be a big deal to just take a pile of fast commons and a pile of non-fast commons and go nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.