Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
... Research Level
... Population Size

I have had a quick look through the forum and FAQ and couldn't find an answer (or at least one I understood)

Does the first one mean the current +Research Rating, or the current absolute total value of Research ?

Is the second the count of all my yellow markers on the different buildings, available workers, happiness markers, military units?

Also, I am assuming my understanding of 'civilisation strength' when it comes to other events and aggressions means my Military Strength?

We have played this game as a 2-player a number of times (but with big gaps between) and always get a rule wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwrigley wrote:
... Research Level
... Population Size

I have had a quick look through the forum and FAQ and couldn't find an answer (or at least one I understood)

Does the first one mean the current +Research Rating, or the current absolute total value of Research ?

Which cards talk about "Research Level"? I don't recognize that term. There are cards that talk about the level of your labs (meaning 1, 2, or 3), but I think the term you're looking for with this question is Research Rating. And that is your research-per-turn figure. I can't think of any Event cards that care how many light bulbs you have accumulated.

Quote:
Is the second the count of all my yellow markers on the different buildings, available workers, happiness markers, military units?

Yes, if by "happiness markers" you mean "discontent workers." Your population is all the yellow beads that have made it out of your yellow bank (and are still out).

Quote:
Also, I am assuming my understanding of 'civilisation strength' when it comes to other events and aggressions means my Military Strength?

That's right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Super!
Thanks for the quick response

I checked the cards, and yes you are correct - it is the Level III 'Impact of Science' card and it refers to the 'science rating' - so from your response this = the +Research marker.

cheers

PS my wife beats me hands-down at this game. I blame the fact that I have to supervise all the moves/ checking the correctness of both our civilisations ... so don't have time to work on my strategy!

The other difficulty I have is the availability of mine and farm upgrades - seems to me if you fail to grab these you are in trouble, and then are reliant on 1-off events to get extra resources.

Great game though ... and she is willing to play again - bless her!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome.

And yes, if you get shut out of both the Level I and Level II upgrades for either your mines or your farms, you are probably out of the running. But the danger of that happening is much greater in the 2-player game than it is with 3 or 4. And if you can build the Ocean Liner Service early enough, that can bail you out when your farm tech is woeful.

Re: your excuse for why your wife beat you, I have in fact noticed that I don't play as well when I'm introducing the game to new players, or helping someone who has played only once before. I end up watching their play too closely and thinking about their strategy as much as my own, and sometimes I come up with better ideas for them than for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.