Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
keenan kahnemouii
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue

So we got a DVD board game for fans of the NBC TV show “The Office”. The idea is simple roll the die and move you player to Michael Scotts office while collecting “Shrute Bucks” for completing challenges and correctly answering questions. Sounds simple enough right…. WRONG! The game play is weak, board design flawed and the trivia at times has nothing to do with the show at all.

Let me start from the top. When you open the box you get some pretty nice game pieces all in a firm and nicely laid out package. You get a huge choice of characters pieces from the show to play as, although there is no difference in whom you pick other than playing as your favorite person. You also get a die, way more “Shrute Bucks” than you’ll ever need, double sided instructions, DVD and a game board.

The DVD and board are a mess however. The DVD although it is narrated by Paul Lieberstein who plays Toby the HR guy in the show, it is the only source of question leaving the game entirely dependant on its content. Unfortunately the DVD material is poorly put together. The trivia is loosely and some time not even based on the show and only spans the first 3 seasons of the show. Also the DVD has a “how to play” feature that contradicts many rules on the printed instructions.

The Board is just as bad. There are several icons that corresponded to a challenge on the DVD menu. These range from answering a question related to a clip, finishing a line from a clip to multiple choice questions. The worst is a category that has you perform an action, for example find a labeling device and label 5 things in the room. This completely brings the game to a stop and is about as much fun as plowing a feild in a beet farm. I found myself along with the other players confused and disappointed as we felt more like rats in a maze than employees of Dunder Mifflin.

As we played for what seemed hours we quickly found many flaws with the game play mechanics, which were compounded by the confusing rules. In order to win the game you must land on the “Michaels Office” space on the game board with 20 “Shrute Buck”. The odds of this happening are very slim. While playing we made several passes over the winning space forcing us to go around the board again and again. We soon all felt like we were stuck at a party hosted by Angela.

I don’t recommend this game to anyone, especially fans of the show. The game was long and dull, the content was lame and there were very few funny clips from the show. Along with the badly written rules and poor lay out of the game board I must insist that no one buy this game, in fact I will give you 20 Stanly Nickels if you promise me to stay away. Final answer, this game is hard to swallow…. “That’s what she said”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mewmew wrote:
Final answer, this game is hard to swallow…. “That’s what she said”

You get a thumb for this quote alone, but you could have simply written this review as:

FACT: This game is inferior in every way possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fowers
United States
OGDEN
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
This game is really bad.
Like "Geneva convention prohibits using it to get information from prisoners" bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.