Subject: Scene It! Star Trek Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
keenan kahnemouii
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hesitant to purchase a Scene It! game. It always seemed to me that Scene It! was a simple game, more of a novelty item than a game, in fact that’s why I bought the Star Trek edition. I couldn’t have been more wrong. This is a great game. It’s fun, fast and at times very challenging, even for the biggest Star Trek fans. Not to say only Trekkies are welcome; many questions are related to a clip that you view beforehand. Of course being a fan will defiantly give you the edge.

When you open the box you will find many top notch and well design game pieces. You get 4 player pieces in the shape of Federation vessels that are plastic or metal if you bought the deluxe edition. A game board that can be folded for short or longer game play. Although I suggest you skip the short version, the game ends way to fast. You also get trivia cards that come with a card holder. The cards have 3 questions on the front and the 3 answers on the back. You also get more of these cards if you bought the deluxe edition. There are also reference cards, “Prime Directive” cards, instructions, 2 different dice and a DVD.

The content on the DVD spans all 5 TV shows and 10 movies, not counting the new 2009 Star Trek movie. There is so much martial and a huge variety of questions, ranging from answering a question related to a clip, finish a quote, and identify a character based on clues given. Some of the more challenging parts are deciphering anagrams or guessing who’s in a blurry picture as it comes into focus. After several times playing I saw a few clips repeat themselves but the question were different, if all clips have at least 2 questions the replay value on this game will be high. But the DVD is not the only source of trivia; there are also the cards that have 3 different questions on them.

The game play flows very well, and the rules are simple. Players roll both the numbered die and a category die, move the number of spaces on the number die and answer the question from the category on the category die. If the roller answers correctly they go again, if not they pass the dice to the left. The first player to make it to the end of the board and correctly answer the final question wins. The game play can be altered several ways, by landing on a “Warp Speed” space or by receiving a “Prime Directive” card. Answer a question while on a “Warp Speed” space and you can move double the number you roll on your next turn. Receiving a “Prime Directive” card can be good or bad though, causing you to move ahead or backward any number of spaces or losing a turn altogether. There is even a category called “All Play” where every player has a chance to steal an answer.

The material and detail that has been put into this game is incredible. This is a must for anyone that enjoys any facet of Star Trek. My fellow Trekkies and I found ourselves reminiscing about old episodes and presently surprised by the depth of content that game provides. Scene it! Star Trek is a great way to explore the Final Frontier all over again.

If other Scene It! games are composed the same then I recommended you get one now. I think I’ll get the Seinfeld one next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Witzany
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The questions seem to be disproportionately from the later series than from the original, so it won't be much fun if your Trek interest is largely from the early years. Thank the gods for the trivia category about the real world--non-Trek things the actors had appeared in--or I would have lost very badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I would buy it if it was based entirely on the original Star Trek...no hesitation (yep, a Trekkie )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Witzany
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harumph! I, sir, am a Trekker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Well, I should really have said a Spokie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keenan kahnemouii
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played through all 20 preset games now and I can say that there are an even amount of questions for all the shows and movies. I disagree with the tought that there is less TOS trivia than say TNG. Where ar there is more content with TNG, they have a good even playing field with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keenan kahnemouii
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

I would buy it if it was based entirely on the original Star Trek...no hesitation (yep, a Trekkie ;) )

Try [url] http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3419 [/url] Star Trek The Game, it's straight TOS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.