Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should soon have Doom: The Boardgame Expansion Set (with its deathmatch rules)

Is there any point in also picking up Frag Gold or does one game make the other redundant?

crossposted to the Doom: The Boardgame Expansion Set forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever played the basic Doom game once, so I can't comment on the differences in rules. However, there's a distinct difference in flavor. Frag is a pastiche on deathmatch style play, with over the top weapons and special cards that emulate players enabling cheats or hacking the server.

From what I recall of Doom, it's more about recreating the default experience of marines fighting demonic invaders. If it's just about PvP play, you're probably fine sticking with Doom as is. In this instance, getting Frag really only makes sense if you want that meta level, where you play a person playing a computer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
While Doom is an all against one team match against the monster player, Frag is a simplistic and fun "battle royal" where you should shoot each other and where it's a big luck of the draw to see what cards (weapon/armour) you get.

Biggest problem with Frag is that nobody wants to attack, so all stand in their corners until someone gets fed up and rushes forward… and gets shot and mangled, and then it's havoc broken loose. The first player to break the ice doesn't benefit, though…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
While Doom is an all against one team match against the monster player, Frag is a simplistic and fun "battle royal" where you should shoot each other and where it's a big luck of the draw to see what cards (weapon/armour) you get.

The expansion to Doom adds a (Team) Deathmatch and CTF mode to the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Lewis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Good at learning, useless at playing
badge
No secret message here
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what Andrew is after is a comparison of Dooms deathmatch and other multiplayer modes to Frag, not the 'singleplayer/co-op' experience given by the main game.

With this in mind, I'd say that Doom gives the superior game experience. Not only are you adding to the main game, but you gain a not-unpolished 'multiplayer' variant. The rules for Doom are tried-and-tested, and translate surprisingly well into a deathmatch environment.

Your question, however, was not 'should I buy the Doom Expansion' - you seem to have bought it already. If you want to know whether or not to buy Frag as well, I'd say leave it for now.
Play the Doom multiplayer and see what you think of it. If it scratches that itch, then you've got two great games in one, and if it doesn't then you can pick up Frag at a later date and see if it does it better.

On the down low, I don't think it will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks all

Murray grasped my query rather better than I worded it :)

my Doom: The Boardgame Expansion Set arrived today and I haven't played it yet - I'm wondering whether Frag's take on deathmatching is sufficiently different to be worth owning as well.

I think I'll keep Frag Gold on my 'interested' list in case I spot a deal on it and get to know Doom first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Royal
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frag plays quite a bit faster than Doom. I would consider it to be a light hearted filler game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.