Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Others have posted this already, but as I was openly skeptical in a number of prerelease threads, I think it's appropriate to eat my crow more publically...

$100 is not an unreasonable price for this game, component-wise.

There's no need for me to do a comprehensive component review, as others have done so already. I'll just point out a couple of things that I'm particularly impressed with...

1) Versatile and detailed minis - The minis are beautifully detailed, just as nice as any other GW fig, which is leagues beyond FFG stuff. Not only that, but the color and the finish of the plastic is such that they'll look good even if you choose not to paint them. This was a big hang-up for me - I'm an OK painter but don't particularly enjoy it, and didn't want to feel like I had to spend dozens of hours painting before the game would look acceptable. I think I'll probably do a relatively simple paint job eventually, but I'm perfectly fine playing with them unpainted until then. I also appreciate that the figs assemble cleanly without glue or extensive knife work. I was fairly careful with mine (since I might paint eventually) and spent several hours cutting, cleaning, and assembling them. But if you just wanted to play quickly, you and a friend could clip them out and put them all together inside of an hour, and they'd be fine. You don't have to be into minis and modelling to get these minis looking great.

2) The board/chits - Calling this material "cardboard" seems almost unfair, as no other Euro or AT title has anything remotely in the same league. Not only is it beautifully printed and finished (glossy, embossed in spots), but it's also near-perfectly die-cut. Even sharp corners (like the sides of the Marine Entry Point markers) punch cleanly with no nubblies (unlike, say, the little blood drops in Titan). And the artwork on the board is not only detailed, but highly varied - you're not just looking at 4 copies of the same cookie-cutter corridor.

3) Rulebook and Mission Book - While I'm not convinced the rules couldn't use a tad more detail to cover corner cases, they're at least very functionally and attractively laid out. I had no problem following the flow of the game from a brief read of the rules and no really significant questions. Unlike some popular games (Agricola and AH come to mind), the booklets manage to be colorful and thematic without those flavor elements getting in the way of understanding the text.

I make no comments as to the gameplay value of Space Hulk - I never played the earlier editions, though I did play Advanced Space Crusade years ago and will be playing SH tonight. I certainly don't buy the it's-a-bargain-compared-to-the-$50-terminator-boxset argument often promoted. Nor will anyone convince me that GW is not making a significant profit on this game, despite the component quality, given the size of the print run. GW is in it for the money, which is fine, but they did at least make something to be proud of here.

Compared to competing big-box minis board games, $100 is a fair price for what you're getting. I admit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree that the tile pieces are ridiculously nice. Thick, glossy, and so well die-cut. I think it was a pretty solid value for the money, compared to the prices for some games recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree on pretty much everything. The one thing that I've really established from this set is this:

There is no reason for GW to ever make a metal miniature again, at least if they're trying to claim quality of sculpts. The sculpts on these minis are fantastic, and the fact that they're snap fit models is even more impressive.

I've love to see characters start to be in plastic. One can hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the biggest reason the price is not unreasonable is that the old editions, with inferior components by far even assuming you could find a mint copy, went for that price or more on ebay at the time the new edition came out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zz huang
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I agree, but if I had to nitpick I'd say the board pieces are a tad too glossy and the mini's a bit too fragile to store in the box without some sort of specially designed holder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wittdooley wrote:
There is no reason for GW to ever make a metal miniature again, at least if they're trying to claim quality of sculpts. The sculpts on these minis are fantastic...

No argument on the quality of detailing, but I'd still prefer metals for painting and durability. Metals are also cheaper to manufacture in smaller quantities, which I'm sure is why GW still uses metals for the low-volume figs. For SH, plastics also make sense in order to get the colors. But for high-end modelling work, I think you can make reasonable arguments either way.

Quote:
...and the fact that they're snap fit models is even more impressive.

Agreed. Not only are they snap-fit, but they fit in such a way that the mold lines are very well concealed. Most of them wouldn't require putty even if you were going for a fairly nice paint job. Very slick.

Black Knight wrote:
And the biggest reason the price is not unreasonable is that the old editions, with inferior components by far even assuming you could find a mint copy, went for that price or more on ebay at the time the new edition came out!

I don't see how eBay prices are relevant to the question of whether the price point is reasonable, especially since I'm just talking about material quality. If Valley Games had rereleased Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage and Titan at $100 price points, they'd be dead already. Just because a company has a great game doesn't mean consumers should happily allow themselves to be gouged on the price.

zzajizz wrote:
...the mini's a bit too fragile to store in the box without some sort of specially designed holder.

Yeah, but there's no good solution there. Make the minis simpler and the modellers howl. Include an insert worth a damn and the price will be insane. I do think that GW could have paid a bit more attention to one or two bits on the Terminators that are especially damage-prone when cast in plastic. For example, the little eagle on my sergeant's head was already bending off by the time I got him off the sprue, despite being reasonably careful with knife and clippers. There's no way it's going to survive repeated playings. If I paint him, I'll probably pin it even though that's a PITA. It seems like it could have been made a bit stronger without looking bad, and that would have been nice for those of us that won't be using foam inserts. But that's definitely a very minor complaint.

edit: typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zz huang
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
tppytel wrote:

Yeah, but there's no good solution there. Make the minis simpler and the modellers howl. Include an insert worth a damn and the price will be insane. I do think that GW could have paid a bit more attention to one or two bits on the Terminators that are especially damage-prone when cast in plastic. For example, the little eagle on my sergeant's head was already bending off by the time I got him off the sprue, despite being reasonably careful with knife and clippers. There's no way it's going to survive repeated playings. If I paint him, I'll probably pin it even though that's a PITA. It seems like it could have been made a bit stronger without looking bad, and that would have been nice for those of us that won't be using foam inserts. But that's definitely a very minor complaint.

I had to improvise my own cardboard inserts to partition the mini's area from the rest of the components so that at least they wouldn't be crushed. Even with that I have to be careful when handling the box as the mini's are lying rather uncomfortably in a jumbled heap within the partitions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I have to admit that in the beginning I had a fairly negative outlook on the Genestealer pieces, mainly the sculpts, not so much the wacky terrain poses. But having had a better look at them, I have to say they look pretty good for the most part. And the Terminators all look good mostly.
The board pieces are unusually thick and should stand up well. They are though a bit too glossy m'thinks still. But that gloss would have looked great had the tiles all been the innards of a Tyranid ship! The debossing is a neet stunt, but we could have lived without it and the extra $$$ it added to the cost.
Rules are good for the most part. (Not keen on the restricted LOS on the Terminators...) Missions are good from what I was demoed.

Is it worth 100$ US? Yes and No.
Yes: in that its got *a-lot* of nice components and some pretty darn solid rules that were, amazingly enough, not tinkered to death. Just tweaked here and there. Sculpts look good, Board tiles looks good.

No: in that this edition is plagued with problems. Things Im honestly surprised slipped past GW considering their usual thrust for quality. Packing was sub-par and this dominoes into other problems. Some of the figures are alot more fragile than you expect from GW minis. Worse yet are the number of reports of missing components or even more severe, badly assembled components. Tiles should *NOT* be coming apart! For some another low point is that these are all with integral bases, making them perhaps problematic for use with 40k. Toss in there the appalling fact that *TWO* of the genestealer sculpts are missing arms and things get moreso perplexing as to what went wrong here. For some the lack of any sort of real customizability may be a drawback. Of course personal preffrences and or modelling skills will make some of these flaws either correctible or not a problem.

Due to the lack of propper packing none of these boxes are reliable mint in the shrink. Its akin to a certain action figure line that due to mismanagement at the factory, many of the pieces are endangered. Worse yet, *all* of the second print are now BIB, Broke in Box, due to the figures literally destroying themselves in the box. Same with some older minis. Mint in box still in shrinkwrap - these things are dissolving away due to interaction with the foam padding.

If you can look past the flaws and/or oddities, or fix the problems and/or breaks on your own then Yes. Its likely worth it.

Flaws and all its still a very well done set.
Thank you GW for definitly impressing me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I quickly improvised a foam insert which is very cheap. I always have 3mm thick foam sheets for print and play projects and I just cut a couple in stripes, assembling them together by making cuts along them in opposite sides. The final size of the insert is about the same size of the manuals, and all the other components fit well around it. I want to cut some square pieces to further divide each square in the grid in 2 triangles because I have to fit two minis in each, but that shouldn't be a problem until I decide to paint them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell that to the Aussies who live with ridiculous FX conversion rates:

US$99 = AU$125 tops at today's rate.

Here it's AU$165...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.