United States
Cedarburg
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night a meddlesome hero with the Mistrusted corruption card:

"You may not gain more than 1 favor during each future turn"

wanted to receive two favors from another hero in a trade. Our issue was whether "gain" was a keyword that applied only to situations such as meeting a character (the only place we could find the word "gain"). Or, does the corruption card prevent more than one favor from any and all sources for that turn.

I say they are capped at one regardless of source.

Help?

Sincerely,

sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stoichi wrote:
I say they are capped at one regardless of source.

This is how we've been playing it. Sucks if you other corruption cards and have the mission to have no more than 1 total or need to collect 5+ Favors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say you're right.

There are several cards which control favor (both directly and directly) such as "Desparing", "Mistrusted" and "Isolated". Each card seems to have a varying effect based on a)which hero gets it, b) the heroes' mission, and c) the point in the game at which the hero receives the card.

There are times when this card could be a game winner for Sauron, and others when it would be no more than a minor inconvenience for the heroes. Until a FAQ entry tells us otherwise, I say play it literally.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be slow, but I'm wordy.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:

There are times when this card could be a game winner for Sauron, and others when it would be no more than a minor inconvenience for the heroes. Until a FAQ entry tells us otherwise, I say play it literally.
TK

I agree with the interpretation here, and also w/ the analysis: often it's crushing, sometimes only minor.

I got "mistrusted" last night, and it was a major burden, especially since it's so darn hard to get rid of it.

Sometimes the game is going to be really hard, sometimes it'll be on the easy side. IMO, part of the fun of a quest-type game is seeing how things unfold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played that the hero may not gain more than one favor per turn regardless of how many favor the hero already has. So, if a hero consults with a character he/she may only gain 1 favor instead of the normal 2.
IF they consult with any more characters or complete a quest to gain favor that turn they may not gain any more favor than the 1 they have already gained.
IF they consult with a character or complete a quest to gain favor on the next turn they may gain 1 more favor instead of the normal 2 again.
IF they trade with another Hero and they have not gained any favor that turn they may only gain 1 favor from that hero.

This corruption card is not like Distraught which says "You may never have more than 7 Hero cards in your hand". It is not saying you may never have more than 1 favor. It is simply saying that you may not gain more than 1 per turn.

Otherwise it would impossible to get rid of the corruption since Mistrusted takes 2 favor to discard.

If some FAQ comes out to clarify this card then great, but until then, this is how our group has interpreted Mistrusted. Just my two coppers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pollock
United States
Cedarburg
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! I've edited my original question to reflect that I did believe a Mistrusted character could receive one favor each turn, but no more than one favor. There are enough games that make serious use of keywords to cause us the original confusion.

sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Contrary to other posters, I don't think "You may not gain more than 1 favor during each future turn" limits your ability to receive any amount of favor from friendly players who give it to you. I think "gain" only refers to favor that you accrue through game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Contrary to other posters, I don't think "You may not gain more than 1 favor during each future turn" limits your ability to receive any amount of favor from friendly players who give it to you. I think "gain" only refers to favor that you accrue through game play.

Strict reading of the rules would seem to agree with you David.

"Favor can be gained from a variety of sources, such as by
completing Quests, consulting with characters, and collecting it
from locations on the game board. When a hero gains favor, he
takes the appropriate number of favor tokens from his location
(or from the “Favor and Character” area if provided by a card)
and places them on his hero sheet." (p. 24)

But then again, hero with that Corruption card is "Mistrusted" so maybe other heroes would not be willing to trade with him . And you do have the neat term "such as" in there, which is open-ended and has caused discussions in Arkham Horror threads. There is of course the "Isolated" Corruption for no trading or consulting IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pollock
United States
Cedarburg
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for weighing in, David. I guess I'll have to wait for a FAQ covering this as I can see this going either way.

sauron

DaviddesJ wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had this question come up in a game last Sunday. We ruled as you did, only allowing the hero to get one favor per turn, regardless of the source. After all, if Gandalf mistrusts you, why should another hero trust you?

That player became a monster/minion fighter and an influence chain breaker for a few turns. In a 3-hero game, is wasn't as big a deal to have one hero limited on favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
We had this question come up in a game last Sunday. We ruled as you did, only allowing the hero to get one favor per turn, regardless of the source. After all, if Gandalf mistrusts you, why should another hero trust you?

But you didn't insult the other hero's mother like you did with Gandalf !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.