Subject: Eagle: Fighter assignment timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Bracey
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing Eagle, after playing Lion, and the fighter assignment feels odd to me.

Because the rule book (but not the map event chart, I note) requires you to assign fighters for the current and the next time segment, the turnaround of fighters is often longer than in Lion.

For example, fighters who returned unharmed from an 0600 raid go back on the clock at 1200. But they can't take part in a 1200 raid, unless you have no raids at 1000. If you had a 1000 raid, you would have to choose your 1200 raid's fighters at 1000, before you got the 1200 fighters back.

Is this really what was intended?

If it is, it's still worth noting for the next errata that the event chart on the board is in error - that only says you assign fighters for the current time segment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, because a fighter Gruppe that has just returned from the clock may still be assigned to that slot's raids. Have another read through - it all works out. Also, don't forget that you're free to inspect the Gruppen stacked on the clock, so you can decide what will be an appropriate assignment according to the Gruppen at the base and the ones on the clock for that time slot.

Ugh - the rule book does a much better job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the designer the same question on CSW, and he confirmed it. While it's possible for a fighter gruppen to fly 3 raids a day, they'll usually only fly 2. I like to think of it as problems organizing fighters for another raid while you're still dealing with some already in the air. For thoughts on the implications of German fighter assignment, see here. I find the puzzle of structuring your raids in time and space (well, location) and composition to be the most fun of the Eagle player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I see it now. The last paragraph of 5.3 in the Eagle & 2-player games.

I've been interpreting that as only applying to each Gruppe's chance to be added to the raid instead of each raid's chance to have a Gruppe added.

Bizarre...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.