Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
My son and I decided it was time to try some HaloScape with our HaloAction Clix. My son is 7 and being the weird father I am, I don't let him watch or play M rated video games. That being said my son is a big Halo fan so I figured this would allow him to play Halo in an age appropriate manner.

We created a map based on the Blood Gulch multiplayer map from Halo.

We used some custom Heroscape unit cards I purchased off eBay. These turned out to be quite unbalanced. Most of the Covenant are melee or 1 range units and most of the UNSC are long ranged units.

We drafted two armies using the points on the cards, my son was Covenant

I was UNSC

The game went pretty quick I defeated my son by taking control of the key glyphs that push my advantage even further.

We played a second game where we drafted two 1000 point teams. We took the points from the back of the original HaloClix cards. Then I sat down and whipped out a couple of Heroscape stat spread sheets for the units we picked. We mixed up the unit selection much better and added snipers, rocket launchers, fuel rod cannons, plus my son had a Hunter that ran around causing a lot of damage.

The stats I slammed together actually work pretty good, there were still some minor balance issues but it was a much better game than the first.

The game lasted about 4 hours, with us breaking for snacks, dinner and other small distractions. We ended up calling the second game a draw as it was getting late. The map was great for both games and actually felt quite Halo-ish.

I need to sit down and create some more balanced stats for all of the available HaloClix units. But I see some real potential for translating some of the video game options to Heroscape, VIP, Capture the Flag etc.

My son then indulged in some post action play on his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel,

Anything that gets you playing time with your seven-year-old has got to be great.

Regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever seen the Halo boardgame? The unit cards are very similar to HS cards and are easily adapted. Actually, the game is much better if you use HS rules instead of the cruddy Halo ones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the files, I have used them to help me build some custom stats for Master Chief, special abilities and all. I have yet to try them out (and it probably won't happen anytime soon)soblue. Anyway I plan on building more stats for other units soon. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks like fun.

I really admire that you don't allow him to play the video game. Kudos to you. It does of course beg the question of how he became a big Halo fan? Was he introduced to it by the miniatures or did he pick up the comics or novels or ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Osmosis?

I don't really know, he has seen the game boxes around the TV. Halo is maybe reaching that point where everyone knows what it is.

I remember when Halo 3 came out and I mentioned it to him for some reason he says to me "Oh yeah, everyone in my class is talking about it", this is when he was in kindergarden. My jaw dropped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Bucheger
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Okay, I don't care how old this thread is, I have to leave a comment.

You. Are. EPIC!

Concerning kindergartners knowing about Halo, it's likely that a lot of those kids had older brothers and sisters who were careless enough to let them watch the gameplay.

But concerning Halo's M rating, it should have been T. Sure there's blood, but it's usually not red, or even human blood. The only reason it needs the M rating is the Flood. I was 17 when I first actually sat down and played Halo and the Flood scared the bejeebers out of me (still do three years later). But even still, I congratulate you on not allowing him to play Halo at his young age (what is he, 9 now?).

I also have to comment on your 'Scape rendition of Blood Gulch. You did a really nice job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
commodore vendari wrote:
Okay, I don't care how old this thread is, I have to leave a comment.

You. Are. EPIC!

Concerning kindergartners knowing about Halo, it's likely that a lot of those kids had older brothers and sisters who were careless enough to let them watch the gameplay.

But concerning Halo's M rating, it should have been T. Sure there's blood, but it's usually not red, or even human blood. The only reason it needs the M rating is the Flood. I was 17 when I first actually sat down and played Halo and the Flood scared the bejeebers out of me (still do three years later). But even still, I congratulate you on not allowing him to play Halo at his young age (what is he, 9 now?).

I also have to comment on your 'Scape rendition of Blood Gulch. You did a really nice job.

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.