Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Coene
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The subject pretty much addresses the question at hand. What exactly clarifies something as appropriate for the "sessions" section and not simply a "comment"? Is it just a longer and more detailed version of a comment, yet without quite being as structured as a review? And isn't a review just a summary of how you felt about a session?

Pardon my noobiness, I just want to get involved without annoying the mods (I love that they have to clear anything you post though). Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Grelis
Australia
Surry Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
HO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll probably get varying responses on this depending upon individual points of view. I see it as this:

1) Comments. A summarized impression a game, usually a sentence or two. "Like the graphics, gameplay a little stilted in 3 player. Looking forward to playing 4 player" kind of thing. Some people will write a full blown review in a comments section although it is not so common.

2) Session reports. Is a retelling of gameplay. Sometimes elements of a review will be included such as a description of game mechanics or components. This can be quite a creative medium, there are many examples of people writing in character, journal entries from a soldier at the front etc.

3) Reviews. These tend to be more technical. A description of the game components and mechanics as well as the writers opinion of the quality of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coene
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response! So it seems that the actual differences between the three lie more within the presentation than the content. Just different approaches at discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Grelis
Australia
Surry Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
HO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No presentation and content really.

Below is one of the most famous session reports on the geek. Hilarious and thematic, it gives a feel, an impression of the game but doesn't review the mechanics or components. It doesn't present the writers opinions of the quality of the game itself so is no way a review. It is an excellent session report though:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/24697

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Muzza wrote:

Below is one of the most famous session reports on the geek. Hilarious and thematic, it gives a feel, an impression of the game but doesn't review the mechanics or components. It doesn't present the writers opinions of the quality of the game itself so is no way a review. It is an excellent session report though:

Indeed, an excellent session. However one shouldn't need to try duplicating that feat just to get a session report accepted. A bare bones approach, such as http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/34265, is just as valid a contribution to the site.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Li
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can probably get a good feel of the differences by picking a few of the more popular games that you're familiar with, and reading all of the reviews, session reports, and comments for those games.

IMHO, an opinion expressed in a review (especially negative ones) will draw a greater reaction than an opinion elsewhere. A review implies, in a way, that you are a critic, and if you are a critic you must be able to speak authoritatively about the game (at least in some people's minds). So a controversial opinion in a review may generate a stronger response from readers. Also, some people seem to rely on reviews for game purchases more than other comments, so the stakes (to some, at least) are somewhat higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Grelis
Australia
Surry Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
HO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes quite right.

In contrast a good review is something like this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/36731

Much more technical detail and opinion. Like the session report I listed above this is a top rate example, there are many humbler versions that are also worthy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coene
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, all of these are great responses you guys. And by the way, MMM, nice Bills badge. GO SABRES! (I'm from Rochester originally)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Muzza wrote:

Indeed, an excellent session. However one shouldn't need to try duplicating that feat just to get a session report accepted. A bare bones approach, such as http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/34265, is just as valid a contribution to the site.

-MMM

Although personally I'd say a session report should have a little more than THAT one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really good of you to ask, and I'm not sure anyone's really given a concise answer:

Comments: Whatever you want to say to other people about your feelings about a game. (Unmoderated, unrewarded,)

Review: Detailed opinion about the game--any play of the game: indeed, what you expect play of the game to be like in general. (Moderated, rewarded.)

Session: A report on a single play of a game. (Moderated, rewarded.)

The only thing I'd add is that the minimal session report Octavian linked to is scoring based. They do not have to be. They could be tactical, strategic--even psychological. A number of viewpoints are possible and useful. What doesn't qualify is, "Oh, wow, like I played Amun-Re with Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, and it was like totally kewl!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coene
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my belief that the phrase "totally kewl" is never appropriate under any circumstance. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.