Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Dupuis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time we've played the second mission, one of my friends used some legionnaires to block the entry way of the Doomtroopers. Considering that only one team came in and that the Dark Legion was second to be played, we ruled that the dark legion player couldn't place his guys in order to block the only entry way of the mission since it glitched the game. Alternately we also suggested that the players could start their turn by an attack on those guys.

How would you rule on such an exception?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rule that the DL player, on this mission only, must leave two squares at the edge of the map where the DT's come on the board. This would leave a one-square gap between the Legionnaires and the entering DT team.

This would have the effect of being similar to the official rule that states that--when revealing force cards on a newly-explored map tile--the DL player cannot place his forces adjacent to the entering DT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at my copy here I see the following.
First off, all the Teams move before the Legion, so it should be impossible to block them off that way. There is no Legion token.
Secondly, the mission rules state that you cannot place reinforcements in the #2 Sector where the Doomtroopers enter from, so again it cannot be blocked off that way either.

ADDENDUM: OOPS! Found the reffrence. The Legion player DOES use the inactive corp token as their turn indicator. See below for commantary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Looking at my copy here I see the following.
First off, all the Teams move before the Legion, so it should be impossible to block them off that way. There is no Legion token.

This is incorrect. First, the Legion token is whichever token is drawn (or decided) at the beginning of the mission to designate the DL player. Second, turn order is always random. It's possible for the DL player to go twice in a row. The pertinent rule is below, under the section Sequence of Play "The Rest of the Rules" in the rulebook:

3. The player whose marker is drawn takes a turn. Once the player's turn has been completed, select another marker.

This refers to all players, including the DL player. Nowhere do the rules make an exception for the DL player.

Omega2064 wrote:
Secondly, the mission rules state that you cannot place reinforcements in the #2 Sector where the Doomtroopers enter from, so again it cannot be blocked off that way either.

This is true regarding reinforcements, but it's still possible to block the entrance point with the troops provided by the Force Card(s) in the sector. Reinforcements aren't necessary to pull off the maneuver described by the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually. Found a better reffrence.

Page 12 - SECONDARY MISSION CARDS entry it instructs the Dark Legion player not to play their token when drawing for secondary missions. So the token must be in play. I'll correct my initial statement on that. hmmm.

As for placement to block the entrance point/s during the Force draw.
Since that tiles entry point is very restricted and, normally, you cant get a trooper past the entry to that little hall. You can just say that the Legion units cannot be placed on those 8 spaces. Otherwise you run the risk of having not only the Legion, but the Doomtroopers block the entrance for team 4!

You'll either have to probibit Legion placement to block the entry, or allow the entering players a one time movement through just to get ON the board. Technically the Doomtroopers waiting to get in are right on the other side of that entry square so the Legion shouldnt be able to place there nomatter.

Lastly you can allow the Doomtroopers stuck "outside" to fire on the blocking Legion players to clear the passage.

One way or another the Legion player should not be allowed to block an entry point.
Either Dissalow placement that would do so, or allow a "get on the board" move through, or allow off board units to fire on the blockers.

Theres still that problem of possible friendlies blocking the entryway. So a one time move through is the easiest solution as you'll have to possibly do it any how.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group did something once to help this problem.

I can't remember exactly what it was, but here is the jist of it.

Since the Corps have to excape, then it must be because they are already in there. We allowed the Corp players to start the mission ON the tile, instead of off of the board. We made a rule that each character had to be at least 4 spaces from the stair tile, to make sure it wasn't just like giving each Corp player a free turn to run. We also did something else to help the DL player, but I can't remember for the life of me what that was.

I do remember that we had a great time.

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.