JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We picked up Funny Friends last week, and got a chance to try it out Friday night. While we didn't totally fall in love with it. My wife and I both enjoyed it. Discussing it afterward, we talked about what worked for us, and what didn't. My wife said she REALLY enjoyed the variable goals in the game, and that you are not working towards the same thing every time. The other game she mentioned that has this, is Fluxx, which I guess has REALLY variable goals.

To note, we felt that this mechanic was different than multiple paths to victory. For example one of our favorite games is Stone Age, which has several different paths to the same goal (most VP).

What are some other games that feature this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Antiquity - you choose your victory conditions.

Careers - I've never played, but as I understand, you choose your victory conditions.

ZÈRTZ - 4 different victory conditions possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nomic changes the rules constantly - including the victory conditions. I am not sure that this is what you are looking for, but unlike Fluxx, where all possible rule changes are already on cards, in Nomic you design them yourself. It is incredibly difficult to master, but it is one of those super-games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W*m L**naerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps BANG! fits this category. At the beginning of the game you are dealt a rolecard: either Sherif, deputy, renegade or outlaw (depending on the number of players there are more outlaws ect) and depending on your role your goal in the game differs.
Sherif:
*copy paste*
Four different Roles are available, each with a unique victory condition:

* Sheriff - Kill all Outlaws and the Renegade
* Deputy - Protect the Sheriff and kill any Outlaws
* Outlaw - Kill the Sheriff
* Renegade - Be the last person standing

It's a simple game but with a high replayability factor.

If you play with two Mr. Jack might be interesting. One player is Jack The Ripper and has to try to stay free until the end of the game or escape from White Chapel, the other player is the detective and has to capture Jack before the night is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a PBEM Nomic game for awhile, but the traffic was WAY too high. After I got to work on a Monday and saw I had 300 messages to catch up on, I knew the chances of me surviving that would be slim.

We have and play Bang quite a bit. I would say that it does in fact fit the variable goals criteria. We play two players a lot, so I would certainly like to see some more that play two well.

A few good suggestions so far! Mr. Jack has been on my "To buy" list for quite awhile!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
I was in a PBEM Nomic game for awhile, but the traffic was WAY too high. After I got to work on a Monday and saw I had 300 messages to catch up on, I knew the chances of me surviving that would be slim.

I was in a pbem of Nomic myself, once, but there were only seven players, so it wasn't as excessive. Didn't have a chance to win, either, though. Cool game concept anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Illuminati has a basic goal that everyone goes for, but each player also has a unique goal that is (in my experience) the more common way to win. One group (the UFOs) even has a variable unique goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooo I've wanted to try Illuminati for quite awhile! I used to play the CCG for a bit. Still have a good sized stack of cards. This is different then that, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Tales of the Arabian Nights you can sort of decide how you'll win. Not that it seems to matter... I've never played it, but it seems the game is more about telling a great story than about winning, but it does have "variable" victory conditions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, there are too many games that have this mechanic. I will throw you a game that I've played that does this quite well.

The game I am talking about is Shadow Hunters. In this game, two teams are after each other, with a third team out to do their own goal. However, the identities of the players are kept secret. Everybody has a unique ability, but it can only be used when they reveal themselves.

The goals range from dying first(!), not dying to killing three people. It's simple, fast, easy to learn and most of all fun. I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal

Michigan
msg tools
mb
Nexus Ops

You win with 12 victory points, but you draw cards that tell you how to win the victory points. Sometimes it's by destroying certain types of units, sometimes it's by controlling certain types of terrain. And obviously (or perhaps not), you decide which types of units you purchase with your resources: do you buy 12 humans to mine your mines and give yourself a huge resource boost for next turn, knowing that they also stink at combat, 1 dragon that is powerul as all-get-out, but limited in that it can only be in 1 place at one time, or any of the four other types of units whose cost is proportional to power?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More awesome suggestions! Keep em coming!
Nexus Ops and Shadow Hunters were both already on my to buy list, but are now much higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many games that have two sides that play differently. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking about:

- Fury of Dracula (second edition), where one player plays Dracula against the other players as vampire hunters
- Lord of the Rings: Sauron, an expansion for the cooperative Lord of the Rings, adding an evil player
- Descent: Journeys in the Dark, where one player is evil overlord, playing against the adventurer players
- Any "traitor" game, where one or more players have secret hidden objectives; Betrayal at House on the Hill, Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, Shadows over Camelot
- I haven't played it, but I think the variable player powers in Dune includes some different ways of winning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard good things about Tribune: Primus Inter Pares, although I haven't played it.

Aton has you working towards the same 3 different goals, but any one one of three will do.

Naturally, many asymmetric games have differing goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dipping into the loony labs bin...

Chrononauts - each player has a specific timeline goal, a 3 artifact goal, and a generic 10 cards in hand goal.

Aquarius - each player is trying to connect 7 cards of their element. Of course, there is that pesky 'swap goals' card...
_________

Does Taluva count? Be the first player to complete blah, or blah, or the other blah. (man it's been a while since I've played this).

Enemy Chocolatier? 1st player to 20 points or complete your secret recipe. Better with more players imo.

Attika? connect 2 shrines or place all tiles first. Although the 2 shrine connection is more of a threat to make your opponent be inefficient with placing tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick C
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Chrononauts, and btw, you only need to do ONE of the 3 above goals...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
In Dicke Kartoffeln you can either go for an economic or ecologic victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
Ooooo I've wanted to try Illuminati for quite awhile! I used to play the CCG for a bit. Still have a good sized stack of cards. This is different then that, right?

If you've played the CCG, you have most of the basic rules down. The regular version is much better IMHO without the deck building aspect of the CCG because the good groups that are available tend to be fought over a lot and people can gang up more easily against the leader. It does take longer to play, and I don't recommend you play outside of the 4-5 player range, but has been a blast and is still in print because it works very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World has each player take on the role of an evil god trying to ruin the world in each his own way. There are several different ways to end the game, and each player progresses toward that end in a different way. Very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Watching the Downtime town review of Chaos in the old world was partially what spurned this question. Sadly, I doubt my wife would ever play it...

grant5 wrote:
Chaos in the Old World has each player take on the role of an evil god trying to ruin the world in each his own way. There are several different ways to end the game, and each player progresses toward that end in a different way. Very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I wouldnt count Chaos out for your wife just yet!

My wife is special! (she likes games and enjoys horror movies) but the mechanics wouldnt be the turn off here. These machanics are as euro as the come with some VERY simple combat rules. if you were to look at this game, like I did the first time, and make a judgement, you would think it was a war game. It is not even in the remotest, its more of an area control game with very cool euro elements. I have found this game really deep and very impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadlands: The Battle for Slaughter Gulch

You roll a D6 at the beginning of the game to see what the end game condition is.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:

Well, yes and no. The basics are largely the same: take over or destroy groups, with uncontrolled groups being easier to affect but less valuable than ones controlled by your opponents. The specific numerical values sometimes changed a bit between the two games, and some cards only appear in one or the other. You can also play with CCG cards from a common deck (One With Everything rules, maybe? I forget the name they used.), and I actually prefer that to the original game. YMMV.

klz_fc wrote:
If you've played the CCG, you have most of the basic rules down. The regular version is much better IMHO without the deck building aspect of the CCG because the good groups that are available tend to be fought over a lot and people can gang up more easily against the leader. It does take longer to play, and I don't recommend you play outside of the 4-5 player range, but has been a blast and is still in print because it works very well.

For myself, I prefer the CCG rules. The math tended to be a little simpler, mostly. But it's a minor preference: either game is good, and both provide examples of variable goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.