Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm thinking of getting some Scrabble tiles to build a game with. For some reason I don't own a copy of this and would like to know the dimensions of the tile. If anyone could give me the answer I'd appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfury wrote:

I'm thinking of getting some Scrabble tiles to build a game with. For some reason I don't own a copy of this and would like to know the dimensions of the tile. If anyone could give me the answer I'd appreciate it.

Google is your friend:

In inches: 3/4 x 13/16 x 3/16

(from http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6197544 )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Starfury wrote:

Google is your friend:

In inches: 3/4 x 13/16 x 3/16

(from http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6197544 )

Thanks for the info.

It's amazing on a game map how the difference between 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" counters can cause problems...sort of like the 3 bears story. One's too small, one too big, and one just right. I've got some 3/4" overhead tiles and when placed on the map they're just a bit too big in some areas. The 1/2" fit well...but they're just too small and look wrong on the map. Guess I'll have to spring for the 5/8" counters or find another workaround.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
I don't know what kind of game/tiles you're wanting.. but wanted to mention that I was just at Blick's, they have cool individual mosaic tiles there. Less than 1" square, numerous colors and patterns.

It made my mind wander to gaming ;-) - these wouldn't be good for a game like Scrabble, but might be interesting tiles in a more fantasy-oriented game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
I don't know what kind of game/tiles you're wanting.. but wanted to mention that I was just at Blick's, they have cool individual mosaic tiles there. Less than 1" square, numerous colors and patterns.

It made my mind wander to gaming ;-) - these wouldn't be good for a game like Scrabble, but might be interesting tiles in a more fantasy-oriented game.

I've seen the square mosaic tiles at Michael's. The game I'm putting together is Advanced Civilization. While the mosaic tiles are nice...each player has 55 tokens (9 possible countries), 9 cities each, 4 boats each, and 2 scoring track markers. The original cardboard counters are 5/8" square. Scrabble tiles are only 1/8" more but on some of the map spots 5/8" is pushing it. I may end up going with the scrabble tiles just because of the weight and they way they'd look; I'll order them directly from Hasbro since it's the cheapest way (other than thrift stores) to get them. I'm also considering getting some of the settlers of Catan style boats to use with the game and some Catan city type wood bits to use too. Add character to the game. Once it's done I'll post pics and the files used to make the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should only take you a couple weeks to find enough in thrift.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BigD145 wrote:
It should only take you a couple weeks to find enough in thrift.

I went to 2 today and no scrabble sets or anything that would be similar. Tomorrow is a local flea market; I'm going there to hunt for scrabble sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also want to keep an eye out for Sudoku. Some box sets have very light, square (unlike Scrabble), wooden tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You might look at the unfinished wood in stores like Hobby Lobby. They have little wood square and circles. Sometimes they have 50% sales too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
There are people who buy Scrabble sets to sell the tiles on ebay to scrapbookers and the like. They are referred to as Scrabble Ghouls zombie in the thrift list circles.

If you are having trouble finding a set to scavenge parts from try ebay. 200 tiles go for pretty cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Tile Ghoul myself.devil PM me if you need some, I'll sell/trade cheaper to a geek.

Also a tip I read says an old deluxe scrabble with the lift off top, plus two standard sets will make a montage game set for you with a little sticker work. Its also reversible/non-permanent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.