Subject: Where can I find gaming partners? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I just moved to TN from Chicago and I left all my friends behind. Finding nerds like myself to play Board games/Video games etc. with is impossible without a lot of luck or a little help.

I'm 27, I live just SE of Nashville, and I need some ppl to nerd out with. I love strategy gaming of all kinds. Anyone know a way to make this happen? Playing Talisman with my dad and GF gets lame pretty fast considering neither of them are interested in Orcs, Elves or Questing for booty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are location-specific forums here on boardgamegeek. You could use them to try ot find gamers in your area.

Otherwise, take a look in any local gaming / hobby stores. Often people put notices on a wall in the store if they're looking for fellow gamers. (And if that isn't the case, then ask if you can put up a flyer yourself!)

I think you can also search users by location here on BGG... if so, you could see if anyone in your area has similar gaming tastes and send them a geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the searching by location:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/users.php

(You can get there from the "Misc" tab above - Misc -> Find Users.

Also here's the "Southeast" Forum:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/21/region/1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Bingo.

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Welcome! Step one is to visit this thread, the keeper of all knowledge gamestore --> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366

I have been to The Game Keep (near Nashville) and it was heavily trafficked by the ne'er-do-wells you're looking for.

Best bet is to post here like you have and go to a local store or two to see who's hanging around. Once you find a person or two that's local you'll likely meet more, some of which will suit you.

It won't hurt to fill out your profile a bit too so people can see what you're interested in.

One last thing. Tap on this --> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/users.php You may be able to find someone nearby to chat with online if nothing else, and they may be able to tune you in to what's nearby.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Yeah, I stopped in to a game store closer to me named Nord Games. Had a long chat with the guy behind the counter about this subject and he stated that I should go to Yahoo! groups or some such. I grilled him about his gaming preferences and he said he had a nice group of friends he played with. I kept trying to drop hints that I'd be interested in gaming with him and his buddies, but he just didn't seem to get it.

I'm not looking to venture out to nerd meetings to play weekly games, I'm just looking for a couple guys/gals (gals must be fugly as to not piss off the GF ) to invite over to the house for the occasional game nights and possibly make some lifelong friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any luck with Meetup.com? How are the game conventions in your area?

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Yeah, again, I'm not gonna go to any conventions or local meetings. I DID however find the filter system on this site that allows you to search for members in your area via zip code and Google maps. I found a couple guys by me and shot them some mail. 2 have replied.

I'm not really into venturing out for "meetings". I'm just looking for guys to hang out with. I'm not looking to make board gaming a huge part of my life, it'd just be nice to have some friends who share some of my own nerdy interests. basically whereas most guys here are looking for groups to play board games with, I'm looking for 2-3 guys who I can eventually call friends who just happen to share my interest in gaming.

If any of you live in the SE Nashville area shoot me some mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking the other day about how ironic it is that with all of our "social networking" and instant access to virtually any person on our continent, that it is more difficult to find local people with the same interests than it used to be back in the days of simply putting an ad in the local classifieds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I think it just depends on what your interests are. When your interests generally involve crawling into a cave of a basement, and playing a game that requires dice and orcs, you tend to not have the opportunity to share those interests with ppl you meet on a daily basis.

If you like baseball or football, you can have a conversation about that with any dude at the local bar or even waiting in line at the local supermarket.

But even for me, as a gamer, I might find it off-putting if some dude standing next to me in line started talking about his DnD character.

Our interests just aren't conducive to social networking, which is why I'm 27 and I've gone my whole life without knowing more than a handful of ppl who share my love of board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to second the recommendation for www.meetup.com

Meetup is about face to face meetings, but you're unlikely to run into a convention-like situation. And, it's great to be able to try games before you buy them. Even if you aren't the most social person, the people who run meetups usually are good at making people comfortable--or the group would not survive.

What's to lose giving it a try?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Figsak wrote:
Yeah, again, I'm not gonna go to any conventions or local meetings. I DID however find the filter system on this site that allows you to search for members in your area via zip code and Google maps. I found a couple guys by me and shot them some mail. 2 have replied.

I'm not really into venturing out for "meetings". I'm just looking for guys to hang out with. I'm not looking to make board gaming a huge part of my life, it'd just be nice to have some friends who share some of my own nerdy interests. basically whereas most guys here are looking for groups to play board games with, I'm looking for 2-3 guys who I can eventually call friends who just happen to share my interest in gaming.

If any of you live in the SE Nashville area shoot me some mail.

Ok, let me make sure I got this... you want to make friends but don't want to put any effort into it... is that pretty much it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Phillips Toy Mart still open? Odd name, great game selection from when I lived there many years ago (Franklin, Gallatin, and/or Murfreesboro). If so, that might be a place to check out.

Plus, there are so many universities in the metro area - it might be worth posting on a bulletin board.

I do remember not being able to find opponents when living there. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Quote:
Ok, let me make sure I got this... you want to make friends but don't want to put any effort into it... is that pretty much it?

No I want to make friends that pay attention and read all my posts thoroughly before they make ignorant comments.

You're obviously excluded from that list.

I stated above that I'm using the filter system on this site to find local BGG members close to me and that it's going well.

Getting up and going to a meeting isn't necessary to make friends. If I didn't suck at making nerdy friends like myself in person I wouldn't be here to begin with.

mlhovan wrote:
Is Phillips Toy Mart still open? Odd name, great game selection from when I lived there many years ago (Franklin, Gallatin, and/or Murfreesboro). If so, that might be a place to check out.

Plus, there are so many universities in the metro area - it might be worth posting on a bulletin board.

I do remember not being able to find opponents when living there. Good luck.

I called all over Murfreesboro and SE Nashville and the only place I found that actually stocked alot of board games was Nord games in Hermatige. I'm sure they are about to go out of business as well because it's located in a ghetto mall. I don't know too many ghetto kids who wander into board game shops and I don't know many gamer nerds like myself who are willing to walk the ghetto gauntlet to get to it (but I did... carefully).

Tall_Walt wrote:
I have to second the recommendation for www.meetup.com

What's to lose giving it a try?

Ok, I checked it out, and it seems that a board game group has a monopoly on my area. Unfortunately they play "Light" board games in places like friggin Panera Bread (no I'm not kidding), and I tend to like playing deeper more strategic games in places like MY HOUSE, or my friends house. Also, they tend to have 20-30 ppl show up and have lines to get into these "light games". I;m just gonna continue to try and put together my own small group.

I would love to start my own group there, to get my own little herd going, but meetup.com wants $144 a year to start a group, and they want it up front.

Ha!

I did however find a play group for my kids and GF. Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Figsak wrote:
If I didn't suck at making nerdy friends like myself in person I wouldn't be here to begin with.

Well, hopefully, you will find some soon so you don't need to come back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I found the 1 unfriendly troll in the bunch. God knows what stirred him from his cave.

maybe it's the goat meat pants I'm wearing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Don't let him get you down Jay. I like you don't view gaming as my life's feast, just a bit of garnish on the plate.

Fundamentally gaming is what you make of it and the hardest part isn't finding other gamers, it's finding other gamers that have a similar outlook to you. Hard-core groups often result in people you're not interested in long term relationships with.

Keep poking around and you'll find someone that fits the bill. This is a great place to start, and if you don't find anyone close by then you can come here and talk about playing. That's what most of us are here for anyway.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually find your comments about "nerd meetings" a little off-putting. It's like the girl who really likes to hang out with the nerdy friend at home but at school she totally snubs the friend so she doesn't look like a nerd too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
dcorban wrote:
I actually find your comments about "nerd meetings" a little off-putting. It's like the girl who really likes to hang out with the nerdy friend at home but at school she totally snubs the friend so she doesn't look like a nerd too.

This site is called board game geek...

Also I've never referred to any meetings as "Nerd Meetings", so I'm not quite sure where you read that. I've never referred to anyone else being a nerd without including myself. I'm technically a nerd. I assume you technically are a nerd too. I imagine MOST of the ppl on this site have nerdy interests and can technically be called nerds.

I don't find anything wrong with being labeled a nerd, geek, or any other word used to describe my hobbies. They're only bad words if you're ashamed of the things you do to be labeled as such.

If you want, we can all write mass letters to the site owner insisting he changes the site name. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figsak wrote:
dcorban wrote:

Also I've never referred to any meetings as "Nerd Meetings", so I'm not quite sure where you read that. I've never referred to anyone else being a nerd without including myself. I'm technically a nerd. I assume you technically are a nerd too. I imagine MOST of the ppl on this site have nerdy interests and can technically be called nerds.

I don't find anything wrong with being labeled a nerd, geek, or any other word used to describe my hobbies. They're only bad words if you're ashamed of the things you do to be labeled as such.

If you want, we can all write mass letters to the site owner insisting he changes the site name. shake

ninja http://geekdo.com/ ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Figsak wrote:

I ain't no nerd. I'm a geek. Thank you very much!

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Hahahaahahh.... Very useful chart...

It looks like I fall somewhere between Dweeb and Nerd. My social inpetitude is minimal, but definately there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figsak wrote:
Also I've never referred to any meetings as "Nerd Meetings", so I'm not quite sure where you read that.

I am quoting you here from one of your replies:
"I'm not looking to venture out to nerd meetings to play weekly games..."

I have no problem with the term "nerd" or attending a "meeting of nerds", it was the vibe you give where you want the benefits of being a "nerd" and being around "nerds", yet not actually associate yourself with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figsak FTW
United States
Lavergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
My bad then. I don't remember typing that and I apologize if you took it the wrong way.

I'm sure that came off my fingers while typing off the cuff, and I'm also sure I thought I wouldn't ruffle anyones feathers based on the premise that this site is named board game geek.

I was under the assumption that in this community, calling a fellow gamer a nerd or a geek was a term of endearment.

Quote:
I have no problem with the term "nerd" or attending a "meeting of nerds", it was the vibe you give where you want the benefits of being a "nerd" and being around "nerds", yet not actually associate yourself with them.

I'm certainly not ashamed to be associated with any of the guys here. If anything you should be ashamed to be associated with me. My not wanting to attend "nerd meetings" is soley based on the social ineptitude mentioned above. I dislike large crowds of strangers and loud public places. I have a sort of social anxiety, and I'm not very comfortable around ppl until I really get to know them. It takes me years to really warm up to ppl to where I can really be myself. that explain it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Figsak wrote:
I'm not really into venturing out for "meetings". I'm just looking for guys to hang out with.

Hmmmmmm... I know what you're talking about, but, at least in the SF Bay Area, there are some boardgame meetups which *are* just that. [GENERALITY] You do want to attend the party game meetups with women and couples -- they tend to be willing to talk about stuff besides the games. [/GENERALITY]

My two bits is to simply attend as many Meetups as your interests will allow. Unfortunately, until we have those iPhone tracking apps, good old fashioned brownian motion is still the best way to "bump into" people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.