Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Wright
United Kingdom
Falmouth
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am a total novice painter and I recently sprayed my GS's with a white undercoat. The problem is that some of them (75%) look and feel very grainy. As if the figure had been dipped into a fine sand! I also sprayed the SM the same day and they are all fine. Anyone have any idea what causes this? And more importantly, is there a way of stripping the paint and not damaging the plastic so I can start over?

Thanks in advance

MW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you sprayed the primer from a too large distance and/or didn´t shake the spray bottle well enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
shiner22 wrote:
Hi,

I am a total novice painter and I recently sprayed my GS's with a white undercoat. The problem is that some of them (75%) look and feel very grainy. As if the figure had been dipped into a fine sand! I also sprayed the SM the same day and they are all fine. Anyone have any idea what causes this? And more importantly, is there a way of stripping the paint and not damaging the plastic so I can start over?

Thanks in advance

MW

that happened to me too, I tried 3 times before I was sure I wasn't doing something wrong; I ended bringing the spraycan back to the store and got a new one; to strip paint from plastic use pure "Simple Green". let your minis soak in it for one night, and then you can remove the paint layer with a soft toothbrush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can also happen if it's really warm outside... the paint will start to set up before it hits the miniature. Especially if you're spraying from too far away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom

Carmel
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also use oven cleaner to strip minis. Put it in a plastic bag, spray it heavily, and roll it up. Leave it over night, then clean it with a toothbrush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely guaranteed to be either not shaking between sprays or spraying from too far away. Once you hit a certain distance you no longer have a mix of paint and propellant so you get the dust.

You can strip them, definitely an option. Another decent compromise is to take a somewhat stiff brush and clean them off.

Stripping's downside is you absolutely lose sharpness because it relies on breaking the molecular bonds that hold the paint on. You also cause some damage with whatever instruments you use to pull the gooey paint off.

The brush method won't ever get all the dust so the model still looks grainy, but less so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Axelsson
Sweden
Eksjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear about your problem, anyway, I once sprayed some models and held the spray can too close, and the models got all grainy. Just a heads up so you don't make my mistake too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ralf lopez
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
would it be safer if you paint them with the undercoat other then spraying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd drive on with what you have. Don't spend a lot of time stripping the paint. You're going to be painting over the primer and I genuinely doubt folks will notice unless you tell them. Particularly on the Gene Stealers. Just remember the advice given here for the next batch of minis you prime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Schoonmaker
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
To achieve a good result with spray primer it is absolutely essential to shake the can much longer than you think you should, paint in a relatively warm environment, and to make sure the distance between can and figure is correct.

...it's also a good idea to go with a number of light coats of paint rather than one heavy coat to preserve detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple Green works really well.

Especially if its just a recent light coat you're trying to remove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as a fellow Brit we've no idea what Simple Green is. Personally I've heard soaking in Dettol removes the paint with minimal damage to the plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morin
United States
Paducah
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had that same problem,thought I ruined my minis, and just used one of my old brushes and brushed each one down, and they came out fine, It knocked all the grainniness off while still keeping them base coated. Also my 3 year old son (in training) got to help me "paint" each one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
jgerman wrote:
zogthedoomed wrote:
Speaking as a fellow Brit we've no idea what Simple Green is. Personally I've heard soaking in Dettol removes the paint with minimal damage to the plastic.

IIRC it's Clean Green in the UK. Also I think... Blue Gold?

Dettol is essentially the same thing.

Detol works great, leave it for an overnight soak, remove the gunk with a toothbrush, wash and start again..There are spraying tips on my construction blog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
shiner22 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance

MW

I also have had issues with this with my 1st edition genestealers (that I bought 2 months ago angry ). I think it's partly the humidity and partly spraying from too far away.

I used simple green and they cleaned up great. Waiting for dry days and keeping about 8" away has seemed to fix the problem.

edit: stupid smilies in parentheses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to wash your plastic figs/sprues in a mild detergent before priming them. Just a bit of soapy water will do. This is to wash off any mold-release residue from the sprues and figs. That way, your paint/primer will adhere evenly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Uruisge
Scotland
flag msg tools
From what I understand anything with pine oil in it works as I believe it's the pine oil in dettol that strips it (the sap from scots pine trees can be made into turps). But aye, dettol or any such similar disinfectant. At least in the UK you can buy bottles of similar stuff from Poundland. Don't know how less quality it is though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
How smooth or rough should a good, light coat of primer be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian arkins
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FCSchmidt wrote:
It can also happen if it's really warm outside... the paint will start to set up before it hits the miniature. Especially if you're spraying from too far away.

And humidity is not your friend when using spray's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian arkins
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yossarians wrote:
shiner22 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance

MW

I also have had issues with this with my 1st edition genestealers (that I bought 2 months ago :angry: ). I think it's partly the humidity and partly spraying from too far away.

I used simple green and they cleaned up great. Waiting for dry days and keeping about 8" away has seemed to fix the problem.

edit: stupid smilies in parentheses.

Simple green is a godsend for striping mini's, and can be purchased at Home Depot for under 3$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.