United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:

That didn't happen on the first date.

Of course it didn't. This is how you two decided whether or not you should even bother dating, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure we talked about collectible card games and boardgaming on our first date.

But I effectively did Punnett squares in my head as a child of 7 or so, trying to figure out my parents genetics from what my sister and I looked like. Does that make me a geek?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
jeffwiles wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure we talked about collectible card games and boardgaming on our first date.

But I effectively did Punnett squares in my head as a child of 7 or so, trying to figure out my parents genetics from what my sister and I looked like. Does that make me a geek?

No.

It is just a small part of what makes you a geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2112 wrote:
amwiles wrote:
jeffwiles wrote:

No.

It is just a small part of what makes you a geek biologist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biologist = geek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2112 wrote:
Biologist = geek

Yes, but then are not overlapping circles if one were to Venn diagram biologist and geek. The thing that she refers to is more of a biology thing and less of a geek thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There you go, poking holes in my merry making with all of your scientifiky talkings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And really, if I were to Venn diagram this, I would do one large circle, label it geek, and then place a smaller circle labeled biologists inside as a subset.

Since not all geeks are biologists, but all biologists are indeed, geeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2112 wrote:
And really, if I were to Venn diagram this, I would do one large circle, label it geek, and then place a smaller circle labeled biologists inside as a subset.

There's a flaw. Most biologists are geeks, but not all. Case in point: everyone who works in my lab except for me.

Yeah, this is a weird lab. Almost everyone who worked my my previous lab was a geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait you mean you charlatans can figure out if Rachel and my children will be tall or short?

I was curious because my Dad never cracked 6 ft (5'11") his father however was 6'1". I of course am 5'9" because my father married my short 5'2" Irish Lass of a Mum. I in turn of course married the short German Rachel 5'3". So will our kids get my grandfathers genes? BTW her Dad and Grands are short too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Echo2112 wrote:

There's a flaw. Most biologists are geeks, but not all. Case in point: everyone who works in my lab except for me.

Yeah, this is a weird lab. Almost everyone who worked my my previous lab was a geek.

They must be ninja geeks, and they are just hiding the depths of their geekness from you. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Wait you mean you charlatans brilliant scientists can figure out if Rachel and my children will be tall or short?

I was curious because my Dad never cracked 6 ft (5'11") his father however was 6'1". I of course am 5'9" because my father married my short 5'2" Irish Lass of a Mum. I in turn of course married the short German Rachel 5'3". So will our kids get my grandfathers genes? BTW her Dad and Grands are short too.

If a girl, 5 feet 3.5 inches.
If a boy, 5 feet 8.5 inches.

That's my official call. Of course, this wouldn't have anything to do with it: http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/usefultools/l/bl_height_pred....

And remember, the first child often exceeds his potential, but later children often don't. Most likely because with the first child, the mom is devoting more resources of every type, and with subsequent kids, her resources are divided.

(Our son is likely to be 6 feet 2 inches, and by the growth charts, he's on target. Being tall isn't all it's cracked up to be. Finding clothes, for instance. And people calling you "tall girl" and crap.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2112 wrote:
amwiles wrote:
Most biologists are geeks, but not all. Case in point: everyone who works in my lab except for me.

They must be ninja geeks, and they are just hiding the depths of their geekness from you. ninja

Amy is forgetting the notable exception, but her current lab is markedly ungeeky.

Her previous lab is where she met me, and that was a geek haven. Science all day; Starcraft, Magic, and D&D all night. I missed so much sleep as a grad student. snore snore snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Wait you mean you charlatans brilliant scientists can figure out if Rachel and my children will be tall or short?

If a girl, 5 feet 3.5 inches.
If a boy, 5 feet 8.5 inches.

That's my official call. Of course, this wouldn't have anything to do with it: http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/usefultools/l/bl_height_pred....

And remember, the first child often exceeds his potential, but later children often don't. Most likely because with the first child, the mom is devoting more resources of every type, and with subsequent kids, her resources are divided.

(Our son is likely to be 6 feet 2 inches, and by the growth charts, he's on target. Being tall isn't all it's cracked up to be. Finding clothes, for instance. And people calling you "tall girl" and crap.)

That and you always have to deal with stupid questions.

Oh you are tall you must play volleyball/basketball/etc.

Just cause I am tall and beautiful does not mean I am tall and graceful and coordinated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

I think my family must be weird, or I am misunderstanding you I am the oldest of 10 kids, 6 of which are boys. I am also the shortest of the boys at 6'1". The TALLEST boy is the second-to-last, he's nearly 6'8" or so.

I must have gotten the shaft in the growth department. Not that I mind, but I do know what you mean about the "sucks to be tall" - especially tall and skinny. Not that I'm HUGE, but it seems the stores think most people who are tall are also "bulky", and so growing up it was often hard to find something long enough that wasn't baggy as all get out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
That and you always have to deal with stupid questions.

Oh you are tall you must play volleyball/basketball/etc.

Just cause I am tall and beautiful does not mean I am tall and graceful and coordinated.

Just ask them if they are a horse jockey. Always worked for me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.