David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My record at Jambo is 0-6. Normally, I figure a game with x players, I should win 1/x of the time. With a game like Jambo, I should at least have 1 win. I mean, even a broken clock is right twice a day? I've been close. I finished 59-63 the last game...

So, when the wife said, "hey, do you want to play Jambo", all I heard was, "You wanna a shot at the title?"

We set-up. The game was going along swimmingly. I had an early 5-point lead, but I had a card up my sleeve: The tribal elder.

The tribal elder allows me to draw cards if I need them, which is always good...Jambo is a game you want to play with half the deck in your hand, if you can get it. Or I can play it on an opponent, and force them to draw-down to three cards.

My wife goes, and draws a bucketload of cards. She had a few utilities to do so, and she used a few special cards. What I was to do with the Tribal Elder, was now obvious.

I play this card. There was much complaining, but she said, "you know what card I'M saving?! The tribal elder that I was saving, but this means war!

The next turn, she tribal elders me. I got rid of two inconsequential cards, and I'm down to three cards.

The game continues. I'll summarize what happened in the next few turns.

She elephants me: I guard.

She gators me.

She gators me again.

I have no offensive cards against her. However, I find us sitting at scores
Me: 58
Her: 59

When you get to 60, the other side has a chance to try to win by more, but the first one to 60, wins.

I use the lion, or whatever creature allows us to put all our utilities in the center of the table and draw. I take her 'weapons' card, and then use it to get 2 gold.

Me: 60
Her: 59

She has a chance to win, and she uses a gator to get MY weapons card from me, using it the one time as the gator allows

Me: 60
Her: 61

My record now stands at 0-7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stinkin' session report! I was pulling for you, right up until you loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't know how she ended up getting 3 guards (one used, 2 discarded), and 4 gators (3 used, one discarded) during the course of the game. It was a little more than luck, I think.

All I know is that *I'M* going first next time. I think that's the key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Hetttinger
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I really like this game - but I also always loose. Im my case though my husband always draws ALL of the stands out of the deck - leaving me with only the 5 space market stand. It is in my opion impossible to win if all you have is the 5 space market stand. Which has led me to the conclusion that this game is really all about luck - who gets the market stands the soonest and uses them optimally!

Is this a broken game, or does anyone have any suggestions on how to pull out a win if you are unable to draw any of the 3 space market stands out of the deck? I would love to hear...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vili Maunula
msg tools
jhet wrote:
Is this a broken game, or does anyone have any suggestions on how to pull out a win if you are unable to draw any of the 3 space market stands out of the deck? I would love to hear...

I wouldn't call it broken. In our case the extra market stands don't have any real influence on who wins. They used to at first, but after we played more, they became less important. Nowadays, they certainly influence how you play, basically giving you the option to switch to a tactic with more wares circulating, but buying the market stand isn't always a beneficial move, especially towards the end of the game.

When it comes to having to do without an extra market stand, I guess the basic rule to follow is "never buy if you don't have a plan how to sell soon". You need to keep useless ware purchases to a minimum, and maximise the circulation of wares. Also, don't be scared to use that 6th space, if you don't have an extra market stand. It's better to score two less than to score nothing at all and waste your turns waiting.

Alternatively, if the luck involved with extra market spaces is a deal-breaker for you, you could try playing so that they are always available -- take out the extra market stands and place them face up next to the draw pile. On your turn, you can for one action purchase a market stand and play it in front of you. For the first player it costs 6, for the second 3. I know that some people play this way, as it takes away the market stand luck factor.

Or, consider buying the two Jambo expansion decks. They include new cards -- huts and carpets -- which among other things make the extra market stands less important. The expansions also have other great additions, and if you like Jambo, I would definitely recommend getting both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.