Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just ordered a Memoir '44 bundle from my FOGS, which includes everything but the campaign bag and the two battle maps. I have since begun browsing the various pages here on BGG to find out what I'm in for.

I've noticed that the multiplayer Overlord variant seems to want two copies of the base game (unless you're playing on a pre-printed battle map).

I'm contemplating getting a 2nd copy of the base game for this, but thinking about this has me wondering - what else might I need two copies of? Are there any/many overlord scenarios that require two desert/snow boards? Two copies of pacific theater/eastern front/ mediterranean theater?

A second question - I realize the overlord expansion has counters to use in place of miniatures. As a fan of plastic men, I'd probably prefer to have a second copy of anything if needed for the miniatures, however, it may be hard to justify that to the wife. For those expansions where a second copy might be necessary, is this only for the miniatures, or are there other components that need to be duplicated also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure of the definitive answers to all your questions, but we recently played one of the pre-printed Overlord scenarios (flipside of Hedgerow Hell) with 6 players and it was just incredible. We had two sets of painted figures and needed most of them. Man, what a game it was - looked amazing and was incredibly tense right to the end.

Because we get a chance to play this kind of setup so rarely, I imagine all I'll ever need are the pre-printed overlord maps.

The new card deck that comes with Overlord is just essential in my opinion, as it's really nicely designed specifically for Overlord play.

Whether you need the extra terrain or extra copies of the expansions I don't know, but you definitely need the figures from 2 base sets. The best solution is to play with a friend who also has a set, as I did.

The only criticism I can make of Overlord play is that sometimes a player may be on a quiet or very defensive flank, and not get to do too much during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are really looking to play many overlord games I think you could get away with just getting one more base game.

Budget permitting, it would be nice to have additional matching armies (like Russian and Japanese) but it is not a requirement and solely up to personal preference.

I would strongly suggest two desert/winter boards, for aesthetic reasons. Again if the budget allows and if you are playing winter or Mediterranian overlord scenarios.

The final thing to get would be Operation Overlord but this would be solely for getting the Overlord deck... $20 + shipping for a deck... The other components in Operation Overlord are useful (this is being kind) but without including a standard board makes the expansion useless in purpose. Yes, I do own Operation Overlord... and I am open to selling the contents minus the deck for $10 + shipping...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
U.S. 95th Infantry Division - The Iron Men of Metz
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple Overlord scenarios for which you would need two Eastern Front expansions, two winter desert board expansions, and two Pacific Theater expansions.

There are no official overlord scenarios that utilise two Mediterannean Theater expansions and you shouldn't need two Terrain packs.

Now as far as airplanes for using the Air Pack with overlord, I'm not sure...

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
The overlord games are very fun.
Having 2 boards is nice.
If you ever run short of units you can always use poker chips underneath units to represent units (ie 1 fig, and 3 poker ships)
The overlord game comes with chits that arent as good looking as figs but a nice array of armies.
Tigers is my favorite, and the bridge too far is very interesting just because it is very unique to regular games in the way it plays

I hope you have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played an Overlord Monday and we used small poker chips. Visually it might not have been as impressive, but setup was quicker and the look was cleaner. There were no functional problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.