Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Howard Posner
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my copy of the game. I never played Downtown so I'm learning from scratch. It looks great, and not too complex (I'm old enough to have fought my way through SPIs Air War in the '80s.
I'm having some trouble understanding the morale check rules. As I read them (and I must be wrong) if I am checking morale for a flight that just A to A combatted, the spread of results for a morale check runs from '5 or less - Abort' to '17 or more - Jettison'. that means if i get involved in an A to A combat, i can never go on to copmplete a bombing mission.
I must be misreading something but I cant work out what. Or is it meant to be that you mustn't get sidetracked or bounced en route?
Please enlighten me.

thanks,

Howard Posner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Baer
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hposner wrote:
As I read them (and I must be wrong) if I am checking morale for a flight that just A to A combatted, the spread of results for a morale check runs from '5 or less - Abort' to '17 or more - Jettison'. that means if i get involved in an A to A combat, i can never go on to copmplete a bombing mission.

I must be misreading something but I cant work out what. Or is it meant to be that you mustn't get sidetracked or bounced en route?

You're reading the chart correctly -- any Air to Air combat will result in the ordnance being jettisoned as a best case outcome, so go ahead and jettison the ordnance per 11.25 prior to maneuver (if you're not disadvantaged) to get the clean maneuver values.

I can't speak to Terry Simo's or Lee B-W's absolute intention with the rule in EV and Downtown, but the implication is as you surmise -- don't let your bombing missions get engaged if you want them to actually bomb anything! Your CAP has to mix it up with your opponent's CAP before they can interfere with your raid flights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisbaer wrote:
Your CAP has to mix it up with your opponent's CAP before they can interfere with your raid flights.

I haven't played EV yet, but in Downtown I'd also argue it's worth arranging the strike mission so the DRV has as hard a time as possible determining the bombers from the CAP assigned to the Strike. If you've got four flights of bombers mixed in with two flights of CAP, the DRV has a 1 in 3 chance of shooting at the 'wrong' target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nelson
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
Keep in mind that, with the morale rules, even a pure fighter unit on CAP or intercept is in danger of "going home" after their first dogfight. They're likely to be disordered afterwards and recovering from that is difficult to impossible. Disordered units can't attack so they're done for the day...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Posner
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, gentlemen.

It makes sense, and reassures me that I can still read a rulebook correctly even when it is slightly counterintuitive.

HP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danguy wrote:
Keep in mind that, with the morale rules, even a pure fighter unit on CAP or intercept is in danger of "going home" after their first dogfight. They're likely to be disordered afterwards and recovering from that is difficult to impossible. Disordered units can't attack so they're done for the day...

Yeah, they are likely to be disordered, but disordered isn't the same as aborted. Send them to a Rally Point and they can hang around there with a good chance of becoming ordered again (only need to roll a 12+ - not impossible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nelson
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
jonbryon wrote:
Danguy wrote:

Yeah, they are likely to be disordered, but disordered isn't the same as aborted. Send them to a Rally Point and they can hang around there with a good chance of becoming ordered again (only need to roll a 12+ - not impossible).

I'd forgotten about rally points - thanks for the reminder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.