United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my history with RFTG.
I traded for this game almost a year ago. I immediately dug in and taught myself the rules over the course of 3 readings, and going through the youtube videos several times. I played about 5 sample games by myself to get the hang of it. I then had some friends over and thought I would introduce it to them. It went over fairly well, and I was in love with it by the end of the game. We played 4 players, and while we screwed some things up, it was fun.
I then played a week or two after that at a family gathering with my two brother in laws. A fun game of it, and it further cemented my love for the game. At this point, I was extremely excited to try it with my wife. I knew she usually has a problem with theme at first, but if I can get her past it, she usually ends up liking the games I think she will like. So about a week later, we are sitting around playing some games, and after our usual Bohnanza, and Carcassonne, I ask her if she would try out this new game. Being such an awesome wife, she said sure, and I proceeded to set it up. We sit down to play, I start explaining the rules, and about 5 minutes in she announces "This makes no sense, I hate this game, I'm going to bed.". I chalk it up to maybe being too late at night, or just the mood not being right (You married gamers know how that goes...). So I ask "Maybe another time?" and she says ok.
So fast forward about a month or so. I'm jonesing bad to get this game on the table. My group of friends all had other things they rather play, and in the mean time, I've gotten my wife into some more in depth games. She LOVES Stone Age by this point, and has even tried out some more thematic stuff. So one night, I get the feeling that tonight is the night. I get everything set up to surprise her, she walks into the game table, and gives me the "look" and just says "Really?". I sigh and feign towards picking it up, and she relents and says "Ok, I'll try it again".
So I get through the rules this time, and we decide to play with our cards face up so we can discuss what we are doing. We get about half way through the game, and she has decided "This game is the worst". This is also the proud title shared with Descent, which she cringes when someone discusses wanting to play it with me. So i place the game back on the shelf, knowing some day I will find someone who wants to play.
Jump to last month, when I place a small game order. I tack on a copy of San Juan, in the hopes that either A) I'll scratch the itch that RFTG gave me, or B) I can get my wife into RFTG with this as a gateway.
So, San Juan comes in, and I read through the instructions, watch a review online, and bust it out at the soonest opportunity, without telling my wife of my nefarious plot to trick her into liking RFTG. Over the course of the last 3 weeks, we've played a good number of games of SJ. We even played one in the morning before I had to go to work. She actually liked it! Yes! And I liked it too! Yet another good game!
So after a few games of it, I spring my trap. I say "Man, this is almost EXACTLY like RFTG.". She agrees, but adds on "yeah, but this doesn't suck". So I go through point by point and show her the similarities. She doggedly admits it, and agrees to try out race again.

So that brings us to the other night. I get home from work after our weekend of gaming goodness out of the house. I had made sure to put in lots of time giving her all the Bohnanza she could want. We even played it twice at the hotel. I know my "Emotional Bank Account" with her should have a pretty decent balance at this point. So when she asks me what I want to play, I said "Race for the galaxy?". "Ok!" she replied. Now I'm worried. It was even a slightly enthusiastic response. This will not end well.
So I set it up, go through the rules again, making sure to point out all the similarities with San Juan. Oh god, shes got her hand on her head. This is going to be over before it starts. I avoid the situation by showing some examples. Crisis averted!
We get going, and she's got it! Wooohoo. Not even playing hands face up. She takes a pretty strong military approach, with a decent supporting 6 development. I go for production. She won!
As I'm boxing it back up, she says "I'd play it again some time".

I'll take it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sneaky, very sneaky. Good job.

I'll admit to buying SJ for this same reason. Just haven't had a chance to try this strategy out yet. Good to hear that it can be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought San Juan exclusively as a gateway to race for my girlfriend after her first few attempts at race were largely misses. She picked up on San Juan very quickly because the english text on the cards makes a massive difference. Once she was easily playing games of SJ, she decided to try to learn Race again because she wanted to be able to play it with me and sure enough it clicked for her after she put in some time. It still took plenty of games for her to get to the point where she could put together any sort of reasonable strategy and stuff, but she persevered and now she's a race addict. We play it often, usually 10+ games a week and she suggests it often. I have a number of games she likes but because of the fast play time and awesomeness, she almost always wants to play race. It's a great thing! You will be there soon, also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even bother teaching someone RFTG until they've played San Juan half a dozen times. It works great every time though.

RFTG is just so horribly difficult to jump into from scratch. The icons especially just make someone not even want to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Hmm, should I just go try my luck with buying RFTG and trying it with my wife first to see if she likes it or not, or just concede defeat by just buying SJ first? The closest game that we have played like this is St Petersburg, and she couldn't get the strategy after the second round. She beats me most of the time at The Rivals of Catan though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ykphuah wrote:
Hmm, should I just go try my luck with buying RFTG and trying it with my wife first to see if she likes it or not, or just concede defeat by just buying SJ first? The closest game that we have played like this is St Petersburg, and she couldn't get the strategy after the second round. She beats me most of the time at The Rivals of Catan though...
SJ first imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls