Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: HELP - game flow explanation needed! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
a v
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is there anyone willing to explain the game flow?
At start of the game (do I have to put 5 cards on table or can i hold some of them in hand and am I able to put event cards in play)?
What kind of actions can I play in each phase?
How to play actions from the cards and when?
How many attachments can a character have?
Is it possible to play support card without attaching it to character?
How to play event cards and when?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

Very well-done video there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a v
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I watched the video and things seem pretty clear to me, but some friends came to play the game with me and they play it very different...
I'm new to this game and my friends have experience with this game, bt my opinion is that they play it wrong.
Is this right? (pls correct if I'm wrong)
Phase 1 - refresh and give 1 character sanity.
Phase 2 - draw 2 cards.
Phase 3 - put 1 resource (optional).
Phase 4 - play charcters and support.
Phase 5 - resolve struggles and skill and after that play event cards?

My friends say that u can play action from the cards between phases. Is that true?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wilhelm
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
max22dax wrote:
My friends say that u can play action from the cards between phases. Is that true?

Thanks

The simple answer is "yes."

For actual rules support, however, consult page 13 of the rulebook (available here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/coc/support/co...). The "Detailed Turn Sequence" gives you explicit instructions as to where you may play actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a v
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
max22dax wrote:
Is there anyone willing to explain the game flow?
At start of the game (do I have to put 5 cards on table or can i hold some of them in hand and am I able to put event cards in play)?
What kind of actions can I play in each phase?
How to play actions from the cards and when?
How many attachments can a character have?
Is it possible to play support card without attaching it to character?
How to play event cards and when?

1. You must play the 5. Indeed you want to in almost all cases IMHO. Event cards cannot be played as part of set up.

2. Between phases you may perform actions, the exception being your own operations phase during which you may performs actions at any time. Actions consist of: using abilities, playing cards, IE anything you do or play.

3. Characters, Support, and Conspiracy cards are only on your turn and only during your operations phase, events and abilities may be played at any time.

4. Any number of attachments can be applied to a character.

5. Support cards that specify attachment must be attached. If they do not, then they are not. The card will say if it has to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hastur13 wrote:
max22dax wrote:

Thanks

The simple answer is "yes."

For actual rules support, however, consult page 13 of the rulebook (available here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/coc/support/co...). The "Detailed Turn Sequence" gives you explicit instructions as to where you may play actions.

It's actually only between phases or at any time during your own operations phase. There's a VERY specific breakdown in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a v
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
So does the active player has the adventage to play actions before other player?
And is other player (non-active) able to also play actions?
I'm guessing that active player can play 1 action and after that other player can play 1 action (is that right?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
max22dax wrote:
So does the active player has the adventage to play actions before other player?
And is other player (non-active) able to also play actions?
I'm guessing that active player can play 1 action and after that other player can play 1 action (is that right?).

Any player may take actions between phases, although the "active" player takes precedence if there is a timing conflict. Otherwise the actions are technically simultaneous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. You must play the 5. Indeed you want to in almost all cases IMHO. Event cards cannot be played as part of set up.

Set up? There is Set up in Game of Thrones. In Cthulhu, you draw 8 and resource 3. The remaining 5 cards are your starting hand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a v
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
If I don't get charcter at all and get 4 or 5 event cards... What do I do?
Those cards stay in hand?
Thanks everyone for answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a v
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Both players have only 1 character commited to story.
If players want to destroy each others character active player gets precedence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You must, in that case, play with the cards in your hand. There is no "redeal" option.

But most players put at least 60% character cards in their deck, so drawing eight non-character cards will happen VERY seldom.

The real question is can you afford to play any of the characters you have drawn. First turn you generally can only afford 1 or 2 cost characters. For that reason most players put quite a few really cheap characters in their decks.

As above, you cannot just PLAY any characters at setup. Every card played must, in general, be paid for by draining your domains.

Hope this clarifies things a little.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wooten
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you begin the game, each player draws 8 cards. You select three of those as resources, and place one resource underneath each of your three domains.

The remaining five cards are your starting hand. You do not begin the game with any cards on the table, except for your three domains and the resources underneath those domains.

On the first turn, the starting player may play character cards etc... but MAY NOT commit to a story, because the second player has not yet had a chance to play characters and so is, by default, defenseless.

The second player may play any and all cards as outlined in the rules, including committing to stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a v
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
This clarifies a lot. Thanks!

AND WHAT WITH SITUATION LIKE THIS
Both players have only 1 character IN PLAY, not commited (so lets say between phases).
If players want to destroy each others character active player gets precedence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also asked: "Both players have only 1 character commited to story.
If players want to destroy each others character active player gets precedence?"

If the destruction only works while committed to a story, then that MAY be true.

Lets say the active player has a wounding action available which only works while the character is committed to a story. Here's how it would go.

1) Active player commits his character.
2) Neither player announces actions or events.
3) Defending player commits his character.
4) Active player gets first chance to play an action or event, so now he could wound or destroy the other character before the defending player gets a chance to play actions or events.

BUT if the wounding or destruction event or action can happen OUTSIDE of story commitment, it could go like this. Say the defender has a wounding action which does NOT specify that it only works while commited to the story.

2) Active player passes in the action phase
3) Defending player uses his wounding action to send the other character to the discard pile.
4) In this case, the defender could not (Edit, COULD!) subsequently commit characters to that story, (Edit- strikeout the following) as he can only commit to stories with a committed active player character.(End strikeout)

Lots of other timings would work.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your English is very good, Max22dax.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet another interesting question is asked:
"Both players have only 1 character IN PLAY, not commited (so lets say between phases). If players want to destroy each others character active player gets precedence?"

Not necessarily. Playing characters and support cards is considered an action, so the 2nd player could destroy the active player's character immediately after it is played, before that character could do anything. This is because opportunities to play actions sequence back and forth from one player to the other.

If both characters are already in play, then yes, the active player always gets the first chance to use an action or event.

In tournaments you will often hear the defending player asking "do you want to play any actions?" before announcing his own action. This prevents the active player from claiming he wanted to do something first as a result of already knowing what his opponent intends.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a v
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really lost myself in this game.
I just want to play as it should be played.
4 of us with totally different interpretations of rules.
Looks like we all play it wrong.
You've been a great help Chick so I need one more answer.
Phase 2 is over and players can take actions... Both players have 1 ready character on table. So I am ACTIVE player and I have HASTUR and with action I want to make PAUL LEMOND INSANE, but my opponent want to play PAUL LEMOND'S ACTION to take HASTUR'S icons. Who gets to use the action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a v
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
You gave me an answer before I managed to make a question. :D
In few hours we'll see how it goes. So far you made all things clear to me. Well thank you again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
BUT if the wounding or destruction event or action can happen OUTSIDE of story commitment, it could go like this. Say the defender has a wounding action which does NOT specify that it only works while commited to the story.

2) Active player passes in the action phase
3) Defending player uses his wounding action to send the other character to the discard pile.
4) In this case, the defender could not subsequently commit characters to that story, as he can only commit to stories with a committed active player character.

Lots of other timings would work.

Chick

Chick, am I reading your reply or the FAQ wrong, as latter seems to suggest otherwise:

"Once the active player has committed
one or more characters to a story,
opponents are able to commit their
own characters, even if all of the active
player’s characters are somehow removed
from the story beforehand." (p. 11)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RAULI, good catch, I hadn't internalized that part of the FAQ, seems my closing comment in the above quote is false. I have edited it to make it true.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.