Popular Tags: [View All]
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I support the right to charge whatever you want for a product it greatly dismays me that online stores are jacking the price up from $99.00. For example, Thought Hammer has the game for $109.99 a small $10.00 price increase. I saw another online retailer with it at $149.99 which just seems ridiculous as you can still get the game from GW for $99.00.

It makes me not want to do business with TH or the other retailers jacking up the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And you don't *have* to! I wonder how many people will go for such tactics. It seems to me that most people that will spend 99 dollars for Space Hulk are probably pretty savvy in the world of board games and will know exactly what it is worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Zimmerman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed this too. Noble Knight had them for $100 at one point, but then changed it to $150 a day later ( at least when I checked).

I think GW US still has copies for $99. Once those officially sell out, expect all online sellers to up their price.

I still give it til the end of the month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Thought Hammer doesn't sound like a speculator... it just sounds maybe they have to make up for their shipping/stock cost? Idk?

Everyone else though is an evil evil second market speculator. No offense guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Flesch
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Dance Dino, Dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
willco wrote:
And you don't *have* to! I wonder how many people will go for such tactics. It seems to me that most people that will spend 99 dollars for Space Hulk are probably pretty savvy in the world of board games and will know exactly what it is worth.

Considering people are buying just the models off of e-bay and other eronious web forums for upwards of $50 per set (Terminators is a set, Stealers is a set) and then purchasing boxes void of models for between $50-$70 than there are people who are worse than on-line retailers making a bloody killing off of this game. *shakes head* Some people have no shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpf1982 wrote:
willco wrote:

Considering people are buying just the models off of e-bay and other eronious web forums for upwards of $50 per set (Terminators is a set, Stealers is a set) and then purchasing boxes void of models for between $50-$70 than there are people who are worse than on-line retailers making a bloody killing off of this game. *shakes head* Some people have no shame.

If people are only paying $50 for a set of 12 plastic terminators, there doing good, as 5 plastic terminators cost at least $50 from GW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard Heime
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
A terminator squad of 5 models is $50.00, a Terminator Librarian another $19.75, a box of 8 genestealers is $30.00 (the prices are from the GW shop). That's about $200 for the minis from the Space Hulk box ($209.75 to be precise, but you get 24 genestealers not 22).

*sigh*

That's probably why the game is limited. A wargamer buys the box for the minis and then sells the rest of the stuff on e-bay... for another $40.00.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
Dre2Dee2 wrote:
Well Thought Hammer doesn't sound like a speculator... it just sounds maybe they have to make up for their shipping/stock cost? Idk?

Games Workshop is actually doing your FLGS a favor by keeping their prices even across the board. Online stores have to add their margins, which (in theory) should drive more business to the local brick-n-mortar stores. I picked up a copy at my local store today, got some advice on the miniatures, and will be going back when it's time to buy paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geheime wrote:
A terminator squad of 5 models is $50.00, a Terminator Librarian another $19.75, a box of 8 genestealers is $30.00 (the prices are from the GW shop). That's about $200 for the minis from the Space Hulk box ($209.75 to be precise, but you get 24 genestealers not 22).

*sigh*

That's probably why the game is limited. A wargamer buys the box for the minis and then sells the rest of the stuff on e-bay... for another $40.00.

You forgot the Broodlord. Another $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote something similar to this in another thread about speculating.

I eventually bought 4 copies.
I may have bought more but missed out on a initial price of $80.

I will keep 2 for my self but the other 2 I am not sure about... I could save them for my kids or I could sell them come Christmas time.

What businesses and individuals are doing is based simply on supply and demand... If the demand is high and supply low one might be able to sell a copy for $200 or more... if GW produces more then the price should go down...

Is this right or wrong?
I guess it really depends on how many copies you bought... zero, one or more... and how badly you want to own the game.

Timing is everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Escanaba
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThoughtHammer advised customers in advance that they would likely be getting very few copies, though they didn't announce a price. Just checked and they are sold out of what they did receive, though a "ding and dent" copy is available for $103.
And TH is offering free shipping for orders over $100 in September, so the $109 really isn't really bad, as you would have had to pay for shipping at the $99.99 price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
SorenK23 wrote:
$109 really isn't really bad, as you would have had to pay for shipping at the $99.99 price.

Pfft. That's what Tichu is for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a n _ C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwculp wrote:
While I support the right to charge whatever you want for a product it greatly dismays me that online stores are jacking the price up from $99.00. For example, Thought Hammer has the game for $109.99 a small $10.00 price increase. I saw another online retailer with it at $149.99 which just seems ridiculous as you can still get the game from GW for $99.00.

It makes me not want to do business with TH or the other retailers jacking up the price.

I got my copy online from Game Surplus for $75. That's pretty much the complete opposite of price gouging. Game Surplus rules, btw (and I'm not affiliated in any way.... just a very satisfied customer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowulf wrote:
SorenK23 wrote:
$109 really isn't really bad, as you would have had to pay for shipping at the $99.99 price.

Pfft. That's what Tichu is for.

I had to laugh because my last order from TH I bought Tichu for this EXACT reason!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.