Popular Tags: [View All]
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently purchased Mr. Jack and it is great! The best part is that my girlfriend absolutely loves the game. It is instantly her favorite game and wants to play over and over. I was wondering what other games are like Mr. Jack? The player count does not matter. I was looking at Fury of Dracula as it can scale and seems fun. Will Fury of Dracula fit the bill? Any recommendations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack in New York

A new stand alone game based on if jack was one of the people who snuck off to the americas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith gell
United Kingdom
eastbourne
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played Mr. Jack, but would like to.

There is a Mr. Jack in New York coming out soon.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/55427

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the above, maybe Garibaldi: The Escape. For an different twist on deduction (with secret partnerships) check out Inkognito.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 de Mayo is a 2 player game, with each player having different goals. No one has a secret identity, but you have do have to try and guess what the other player is going to do next. Instead of the markers having special powers like in Mr Jack, each player has their own set of event cards that make the game interesting.

That's probably the closest one I can think of. But it's a fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take any opportunity to talk about Mr. Jack, since it's my second-favourite game of all time! cool

I was going to recommend Mr. Jack in New York as well, but here are a few others you might want to take a look at.

Duel in the Dark - A 2-player game with asymmetrical goals that involves a certain amount of bluffing and deduction. There are some cool expansions (such as Duel in the Dark: The Complete Edition – Expansion, Duel in the Dark: Early Nights, and Duel in the Dark: Baby Blitz which add some fun elements and make the game playable with up to 5 players. The game is relatively simple to learn, although all the little ground defense rules can get a tad fiddly.

Timbuktu - A fun deduction game that plays best with 4 or 5 players. And it has camels!

Shadow Hunters - A game of secret identities and trying to deduce the alliances of the other players. I just picked this one up (as a direct result of my obsession with deduction games that began with Mr. Jack) and will be playing it for the first time this weekend. Apparently it works best with 6-8 players, and not as well with fewer.

Dungeon Twister - A 2-player game of positioning and out-maneuvering your opponent. Like Mr. Jack, there are 8 characters, each with their own unique movement allowances and special abilities, with one of the goals being to get the characters to walk off the board. But that's where the similarities end - this is not a deduction game. And just to warn you, this game hurts my brain and sets my analysis paralysis into overdrive more than any other game I play. Also, it's the only game that my wife (who is usually very gracious and tolerant of games she doesn't enjoy) absolutely refuses to play with me, probably because it is very heavily strategy-oriented with almost no luck.

Fury of Dracula (second edition) - You asked about this game, and I consider it to be an excellent recommendation. My wife and I both love this one, and it has a cat-and-mouse feel reminiscent of Mr. Jack. However, be forewarned that it is very rules-heavy and even 2-player games can run up to 4 hours long when playing with a particularly clever and slippery Dracula. This game does have an advantage of scaling very well from 3-5 players (as long as you can hold their attention for the entire time it takes to play - it seems to be a bit of a "love it or hate it" type of experience). As others have mentioned, for a very similar game that is much quicker and easier to learn (but with less depth), check out Scotland Yard.

Happy gaming!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigkat wrote:

First thing that came to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Lauwbierkoffie
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
www.spellenclubapeldoorn.nl
badge
Kom spellen spelen bij de Spellenclub Apeldoorn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stratego gives me somehow that mr Jack feeling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Thijs wrote:
Stratego gives me somehow that mr Jack feeling

If that's so, you should check out Hera and Zeus, which is an improved Stratego.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Judy
United States
Cottonwood
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at... Caesar & Cleopatra or Roma. Not exact, but good 2 player games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Garibaldi: The Escape which has some of the feeling of Mr. Jack. Garibaldi, though, is based on an actual historical event, if that appeals to you. We have played it several times, and it is definitely worth considering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got disappointed in Mr. Jack, but I don't want to get into that. The somewhat similar game that did it for me is Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation - lots of second guessing!
thumbsup 2 de Mayo

thumbsdown Fury of Dracula (second edition) - less about deduction; more about dice and atmosphere.
thumbsdown Dungeon Twister - snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oeolycus wrote:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation - lots of second guessing!

Guessing at the beginning of the game quickly turning into real deduction! Also the whole card-choosing minigame is a pure deduction and psychology ("she will think I will choose this, so I will choose this instead, but she will figure out my plan, so I should choose.."). Brilliant game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have exactly 4 players, Inkognito.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOTR: Confrontation - Similar in that you are guessing identity of players, and each piece has unique movement/ability.

Dungeon Twister - Probably the most similar.

Neuroshima Hex - Tactical piece placement, but very calculating, just like Mr. Jack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.