The Republic of Rome» Forums » General

Subject: Solo or Not ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Although it says 1-6 players I have my doubts as to solo play.

If you have played this game solo, what did you think of it ?

Would greatly appreciate some help in my decision to go ahead and buy it or not, as the case may be.

Thank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Addendum: I am not sure regarding versions. Also, secondhand copies and the price tag placed on them.

I do know that a new version is due in limited numbers and if I pre-order I want to be absolutely sure regarding solo play.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Famous OOP AH title + Limited reprint = BUY

I am in the process of learning this game myself. Very eager to hear what everybody thinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Wanny.

Just wandering what the ones selling s/h are like ?

If the gameplay has been improved, then sure...I will pre-order. But if the gameplay was good and some gamers are selling their old versions because they want the new one.... decisions, decions !whistle

Is the game good as solo, though ....that is my main concern ?

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Murdock
United States
Euless
Texas
flag msg tools
It's a very different game playing solo. The automatic players adhere to strict guidelines. They are easy to manipulate and beat but their selfishness means it can be very hard to keep the Republic intact (especially in the Early Republic scenario). I've never lost to another player but about the half the time the Republic self-destructs when they follow their boneheaded military plans.

A solo game can be fun but I prefer the politicking of having more then two players. Five is probably the best. I know I'm bringing my copy to BGGcon this year. Also, it can be a hassle managing five faction's money, senators, etc. while playing solo. You spend as much time managing money, knights, and persuasion attempts as you do planning. If you don't mind management solo play can be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Akinde
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As Jon notes, playing solo is a completely different game (no politicking). It is still a very good game, IMO, and you need to work hard to keep the Republic afloat in the face of the selfishness of the non-player factions. The "Adequate Force" concept is brilliant (i.e., Rome never sends more troops to a war than is absolutely necessary).

I've played many solo and two-player sessions and enjoyed them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How well does the Solo game serve for learning the rules?

I've been looking forward to this game for ages, ever since stumbling across it here on the Geek, and think it'll be a perfect match for my occasional gaming group (all History grads)--but it looks to be a whole other level of complexity and difficult rules. I want to make sure I understand it myself before trying to teach it to others.

Sure wish there'd be an update on the release date. I'm glad that Valley Games is going for quality over speed of release, but still would be nice to have a rough estimate of when I'll be able to buy it. (Christmas?)

-M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.