Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another rule I assumed I had down pat, but a closer reading of the rules has me less than certain. Can CPs be spent to have ANY Marine taken an action, not necessarily the Marine that witnessed the Genestealer action?

Page 11:
Quote:
The Space Marine player can also use command points in the Genestealers turn to react to the actions of his opponent. They can be spent to perform actions out of sequence -- so command points could be used to fire a weapon, close a door and so on during the Genestealer player's turn.

Command points can only be spent in the Genestealer turn if a Space Marine model has line of sight to a Genestealer that has just completed an action (line of sight is explained under Shoot Actions on the next page).

Each action witnessed allows a Space Marine to perform one action (this may be an action that costs 2 action/command points). The Space Marine's action happens immediately, and before the Genestealer carries out its next action.

The line "each action witnessed allows a Space Marine to perform one action" is what has me less sure about myself. Why say "a" instead of "the" unless it's meant to allow any Marine to activate?

Thematically, the Marines have networked displays that could allow Marines to react to something a different Marine has seen, but common sense says the witnessing Marine has to be the one to act.

In the case of overwatch, clearly the witnessing Marine is the one to act (which leads us into the discussion about whether CPs can be spent in addition to overwatch fire, no need to start that discussion here).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is in the case 2 marines witness the action. Unless this was changed (and don't have my friggin' rulebook until Christmas *sniff*), you can only perform one action from CP on one marine regardless of how many saw the action, and the "one marine" must be one of the marines who witnessed the action.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgerman wrote:
shnar wrote:
My guess is in the case 2 marines witness the action. Unless this was changed (and don't have my friggin' rulebook until Christmas *sniff*), you can only perform one action from CP on one marine regardless of how many saw the action, and the "one marine" must be one of the marines who witnessed the action.

-shnar

Every marine that witnesses the action may take one action. This is clearly laid out in the overwatch section.

I don't think this has been changed from first edition either.

From Space Hulk 1E:

Spending Command Points During the Stealer's Action Phase

Quote:
"Finally, during the Stealer player's Action Phase, you may spend CPs only to have one Marine perform one single action at a time...

This rule is in effect even if more than one Marine sees s Stealer perform an action: you can spend CPs only to have one of them perform one action..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, 1st Ed only allows one marine to perform an action. There's an example that highlights it as well. Not sure on 3rd Ed though, don't have rulebooks...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
jgerman wrote:
Besides if you're going to ask why say "a" instead of "the" (which can be read the same way) you have to take the next step and ask why say "a" instead of "any".

I think "a" or "the" would be used instead of "any" to indicate that only one Marine could be given an action in response to one Genestealer action. I don't like the idea of, say, six Marines all taking an action in response to one Genestealer action.

I'm 99% sure that in the 1st edition rules there is a sentence about the witnessing Marine being the one that has to act (actually, I think an example was given in which a Genestealer moved out of LOS of one Marine but in LOS of another, and the example pointed out that only the Marine that could still see the Genestealer could have a CP spent on it). But my 1st edition memory is fuzzy, and it's not really relevant here anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Well, I would really be interested to know from Jeremy and any other contributers discussing this particular rule, this question: If this 3rd edition caused so much enthusiasm with SHulkers, what differences are there compared with the last edition.

I do apologize about swaying a little from the question, but if no really important rules were changedm what was all the hype about ?

It really bemuses me. Is it the same game with the same rules but better components or what exactly ?

I want to be a Space Hulker (if and when I manage to get a copy of the 3rd versions).

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.... on the other discussion (about spending CP in addition to the overwatch shot) a strong argument against it is that overwatch is now an action, but the rules clearly state that you HAVE to fire with all marines in LOS who are in overwatch, so that would mean taking multiple actions in response to the genestealer movement. This could be interpreted so that you can also take multiple actions using CPs in response to one genestealer action or it could be seen as an exception because you can only spend CPs to take one action...

The rules aren't very clear about it but the "a" in that rule seems to imply only once action can be taken for each action witnessed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.