Subject: What can you give away? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Li
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I thought I remembered reading somewhere in the rules that you can't give away planets or ships. Is that in there, or did I imagine it? What about Action Cards, can you give those away at all? Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a rule of thumb the only commodity that MAY change hands are the Trade Goods - for bribing, convincing, rewarding etc. Or so I recall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tretiak wrote:
Only the Hacan are able to exchange Action Cards, but that's about it.

And that, yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you can also trade your Trade Contracts, but only during the Trade strategy card activation.

I can't remember right off where, but I can verify you aren't allowed to trade ships or planets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Lee Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I skimmed over the rules and I don't see anything that specifically says you can't give away ships or planets. I also didn't find anything that says you can. Plus I found several things that seem to indicate that you can't.

On page 23 under VOTING IN THE COUNCIL, step one of the process is:
Quote:
1) Players first debate, threaten, lure, or convince each other to vote in their favor. Trade Good Counters may be used as "bribes" but no promises or agreements in TI are binding (even after receiving a bribe or pay-off).

And on page 25 under THE TRADE GOOD COUNTERS it says:
Quote:
Players are allowed to give other players Trade Goods from their Race Sheet at any time. This makes the Trade Goods counters a flexible currency with which to bribe, pay, or assist other payers economically.

From these and the fact that the Unit and Planet sections make no mention of giving them away (unless I missed it) it would seem to indicate that only Trade Goods can be given away unless there are specific effects that state otherwise (for example, the Hacan's ability to trade Action Cards).

(note: I couldn't find anything relevant in the SE rules.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has always seemed like the weakest part of TI to me. Coming at it from the perspective of a player of Civilization, Master of Orion, and other computer games it seems like there's very little to trade and I feel like this takes away a major aspect of player interaction and diplomacy.

I feel like I should have the option to let other players move through my space... for a price or to help cement out alliance, trade techs, send a few units their way, pass some planets back to me, etc. This allows someone like Hacan or Jol-Nar who are weaker at combat to ally themselves with someone with a greater combat capacity either for protection or to carve out a joint empire where one does the research, earns the trade goods, and produces the units and the other embarks on a campaign of conquest before sending the spoils of war back. Not to mention the fun of the inevitable betrayals, the threats and bribes over technology (do you really want to give the evil invading aliens something to make them even stronger just to make them go away now?) and all the other benefits. Definitely the inability to allow other players to move through your systems seems wrong. I realize there are techs to allow you to do this, but would it be so hard to amend that to "without permission"?

It's a great game, but I just feel like there could be a lot more richness. Especially as I almost never like to actually go into combat myself. A greater ability to trade and discuss certainly helps players who'd rather stay back in their home system and work towards a more peaceful, political game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.