Dune» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Dune: review of the pinnacle of human evolution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C W
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
It's got an unpredictable finish, is quick, avoids early build up boredom as factions are pre-setup. The entire game is essentially a middle game with an entrophic resource poor end-phase only on the games that last long enough to get there. Each faction is a completely different gaming experience and each takes several tries to master. Most factions have variable victory conditions that keeps it fresh. The sneakiness, backstabability and expression of low cunning in your nearest and dearest is never so beautifully seen as when playing Dune.

It's all bluffing and more bluffing and truly creative strategies allow you to turn the mechanics against individuals or multiple opponents. Formal alliances and informal alliances add further depth as allies' special abilities augment one another with a wide variety of results. No other game says you love your friends like the bribery and monopolising of resources that Dune allows and it lets this happen without singling out losers as those that pull ahead are generally mercilessly laz-gunned into oblivion.

Learning the game is a headache, but once you've got it it's intuitive. Playing with six is best. Intricacy of strategy becomes more obvious on multiple plays with more skilled opponents.

I love Twilight and A Game of Thrones but Dune gives me a similar hit with less of the time commitment and bad feeling / ego bruising that can linger after those other sorts of games.

Your biggest issue will be finding a copy - why this game is out of print while Catan gluts the shelves with its tepid wonderment I don't understand.

Recently played with classic rules - suggest only 2 player alliances max which still only need 3 cities to win to keep it lean and fast. Ordinary rules with 2 player alliances needing 4 cities and 3 player alliances needing 5 cities was really painful and slow.

This is unaproachably my favorite game, if you happen to see me about and want to play please hit me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed; it's always been a really great game for the reasons you describe. If I could just get my extended family to at least read Dune, and then try this game out, I'm sure they would love it. But that's not gonna happen, and if we want to see the game in Borders, ToysRUs, or God Forbid, Walmart, ever, then it's gotta be rethemed about farmers with special knacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puffmagico wrote:
Your biggest issue will be finding a copy - why this game is out of print while Catan gluts the shelves with its tepid wonderment I don't understand.

FFG is currently working on a re-themed version of Dune. From what I understand it will be based on the Twilight Imperium universe. I am sure there are a lot of fans of Dune who are eagerly awaiting the first early-access previews to see what has been made of this grail game.

Here are a few links with additional info:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/431110
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/392404
http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
FFG is currently working on a re-themed version of Dune.

It was a pitty FFG couldn't get the game. For me it's the Theme that draws me to it. Love Dune (books, miniseries etc) but a Twilight version just wont cut it for me. I'm sure the game will be good but it wont have the magic that is the Dune universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Yes, Dune for me is now the standard by which all other lengthy, 6-player games are measured. I tried Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game the other day, and for my money, if we're going to sit around the table that long with that many people, I'd rather it be on the planet Dune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C W
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
garygarison wrote:
Yes, Dune for me is now the standard by which all other lengthy, 6-player games are measured. I tried Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game the other day, and for my money, if we're going to sit around the table that long with that many people, I'd rather it be on the planet Dune.

I'm with you man! Arrakis or bust, I'm in the birthing panes of a home made Dune set Now if I can just find an old Risk set that I can harvest it's organs so the Spice can flow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C W
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
pzkrakz wrote:
Agreed; it's always been a really great game for the reasons you describe. If I could just get my extended family to at least read Dune, and then try this game out, I'm sure they would love it. But that's not gonna happen, and if we want to see the game in Borders, ToysRUs, or God Forbid, Walmart, ever, then it's gotta be rethemed about farmers with special knacks.

Maybe try it the other way around? I played the game before reading the book, though I vaguely remebered Baron Harkkonen from the film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hertzog van Heerden
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
Lost in Cardboard
badge
Original Duckface
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write-up of a great game goo

I agree that it's not essential to be familiar with the Dune setting to enjoy the game or to explain it to new players; many people in my regular playing group have no Dune background surprise

That being said, I think the game rewards players familiar with the story with a little kicker, as game mechanics and play does mimic the different factions' personalities very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Puffmagico wrote:

And amen to that! Catan must be just about ready to re-release everything yet again in another non-backward compatible format, while Hasbro and the Herberts sit on one of the most potentially lucrative franchise opportunities out there. Go figure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Shaper
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
O.K. you love the game. But the review seems directed at those who already play the game. Classic rules? Ordinary rules? 4 cities, 5 cities, alliances? Entrophic resource poor end game?
If you get there? What? I say this needs to be in the shout out
category, giving thumbs to the homies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.