War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: 2nd proper game. Playing the Shadow army rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Withstand
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my 2nd proper game this noon against a new player.
I let him choose which side he would like to play. I told him that playing the Free people is usually the more difficult than the two.

In the early game I failed rolling sixes when hunting the fellowship making the fellowship able to move to 4 points without corruption at all.

These lack of success in luck changed somewhere in mid game when I had a single six that not only damaged the fellowship but also revealed it. Now no longer being in Rivendell or any friendly settlement and revealed, I attacked the fellowship with salvos of cards ending up the fellowship with 5 corruption points in the end devil.

Then from then on the tide was turning. I laid siege to Minas Tirith then successfully eliminated the besieged Gondor army.
The fellowship hunt somehow was getting easier as I was getting sixes most of the time and soon enough it reached 8 points.

In the end the Shadow army managed to steal 2 VP from the free people while Frodo was completely corrupted without ever reaching Mount Doom.

It was again a walkover. It wasn't that fun. Actually I felt kind of pity to the Free people player. When Frodo corruption was getting to 11 I just told him to just move the fellowship once more and it would all be over soblue. He could drag the game to at least half or another hour if he chose to abandon the ring quest completely and concentrated on military conquest instead unless I got a helping card to corrupt frodo further. Or he could choose to heal frodo all the way back to 0 corruption point.

Sauron ended up a happy megalomaniac in this game I guess sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Don't think too much of it, because as you said, it was a new player. Also, the expansion pushes the odds in the Free People's favor. While I do like the Shadows player to have the slight advantage, I do still really enjoy the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Withstand
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the expansion would add some fiddly rules that some say are over the top. .

I don't regret gettng WotR if you thought so. It's really LotR on the table cool. I just never got the chance to really enjoy a good game.

I must also say that some people could be confused over what to do when playing WotR. There's so much things that you can do so the less than good strategist or ones unfamiliar with such a degree of freedom in planning seems to be lacking any real plan or purpose on what to do with their characters, or their armies, etc. That happened to my friend in yesterday's game.Though personally I don't see it that way. It's always been quite clear to me when deciding what to do in WotR well the first game was a bit confusing I admit but it was not that bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.