Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some people in my office who regularly play Diplomacy at work by taking a turn a day. I know this is a popular thing to do because the game is designed for extensive planning followed by simultaneous actions. Are there any other games that can be played this way at work? A few requirements are:
1) There needs to be significant analysis between turns so the time period between turns does not seem too long
2) It needs simultaneous turns or near-simultaneous turns
3) It needs to play between 4-8 people

RoboRally initially came to mind, and it easily satisfies the second and third requirement. However, the analysis between turns is fairly simple, can usually just be solved in a minute or two, and this goes against the first requirement. The only game I could think of that met all three requirements was Scotland Yard, but I know there has to be some other games out there. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No ideas here, but I played Diplomacy in my office. I won and it was great fun. Too bad I lost my job shortly thereafter with no severance. I wonder why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 4-8 player requirement is going to make it tough. I've seen several games played this way in an office environment (I've played Go that way myself), but always two-player abstracts.

It's just not a popular design point. A 4-8 player game with significant analysis required would be deathly boring in any non-office-group type situation. The only thing I can come up with is Killer: it requires significant preparation rather than analysis, but might work in the right office. Poison-gas releasing CDs, chair "bombs" and the like could be set up without disrupting things too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree this is difficult to find games that match all three requirements. That's why I asked my fellow geeks

The reason I asked for significant analysis between turns was so that the game felt continuous and not a game you just play 5 minutes a day. With Diplomacy, the negotiations can easily last through the good part of the work day so the game never really feels like it stopped. Games like RoboRally however, cause a player to look at his cards for a maximum of 5 minutes, and then forget about it until the tomorrow.

Because of the difficulty of these three requirements, I am willing to drop the first requirement if you cannot think of anything else. This is not ideal for the reason stated above, but it is at least SOMETHING to go on.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.