Subject: Same Components from different games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just bought Chinatown and Steam (and am very excited). Busting open the boxes, I got the sensation that I've seen these wooden components before. The player markers from Chinatown? Look a lot like the food markers from Shogun! Those wooden cubes from Steam? Look a lot like the cube armies from Shogun!

I suspect that some manufacturer has cornered the market on "little wooden cube bits for game publishers."

Has anyone else noticed similar components in different games from different publishers? This is more of a curiosity for me. One thing I know for sure... they all smell the same when first opened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here's at least one list on it:

Game publishers reusing components

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/7045
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bingo! Good list. I certainly don't have a problem with it as long as the components still fit the theme. Heck, nothing wrong with economies of scale...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions for the OP:

1. Are you really surprised that not only one game uses wooden cubes? Or how did you expect them to be different from other wooden cubes?

2. How do wooden cubes "fit the theme"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In retrospect I am not surprised. And, I might be using the phrase "fit the theme" a bit loosely.

However (and not to get too theoretical), opening up a box kinda presents a unique experience. Even simple wooden cubes or houses is part of that "new game feeling," and I'll associate those little stick road things with Settlers of Catan, even though in a literal sense they are just... well... little colored wooden sticks.

My first "little wooden cube" encounter was the armies in Shogun. Yeah, it's just cubes, but green cubes are farmers, and they tumble in a battle tower! It's still a part of the theme and presentation of the game, I think.

That's why it's a little jarring to see this in another game: "Hey! What are my Shogun warriors doing in Steam??" Sure, it's a bias I'm bringing to the table. Not everyone played Shogun first.

Again, I don't mind at all that these components are shared in different games. Makes sense to me. I was just curious how common this practice is, uh, practiced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.