Subject: Underpowered Skills rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone else underwhelmed by the Monster's Basic skill (Pummel)?

Using Half of your Might instead of Tackle in order to Tackle seems to cut nearly everyone's dice by two or three - the bonus success is almost insulting at that point.

I'm not a math genius, so I may have something wrong here, but it looks like every roll will (on average) have about 50% successes.

So a Deadwood (6 Might, 5 Tackle) will usually score 2.5 successes on their tackle roll.

If they use Pummel, that drops to about 1.5 successes, plus one bonus for ... 2.5 successes.

Is there a benefit that I'm missing?

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reiter
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We house ruled it.
The way it works in my league is that the Monster can choose to not roll a number of his Tackle dice for the Tackle. The number of dice he did not roll become automatic successes on the injury roll, if it happens. The maximum is 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pariah wrote:
We house ruled it.
The way it works in my league is that the Monster can choose to not roll a number of his Tackle dice for the Tackle. The number of dice he did not roll become automatic successes on the injury roll, if it happens. The maximum is 3.

So it's not a misreading on my part - the skill is underpowered (due to the pieces who can take it, not necessarily due to the skill itself).

That's ... um ... good to hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anders
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Pariah wrote:
We house ruled it.
I like that Eric. I liked what Pummel tried to do ... but was never quite happy with the overall power level.

I'll give that a strong consideration if we do a rules update in the future.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grimstad
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric that is the way it now is in 2nd ed. Nice house rule... It is now a real rule!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.