15 Posts

Imperial» Forums » General

Subject: Should I buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Bauer
msg tools
Hi...could use some help in this.

I am interested in getting Imperial, but only if it is not too similar to other boardgames I already own (since I'm on a budget). In other words, I'm looking for something different.

Aside from Hamburgum and Antike, can anyone tell me what other boardgames that Imperial share similar game mechanics with?

No need to tell me which games share similar themes (it's been said that the board map resembles the one from Diplomacy)...

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know of any other game where you invest in countries and use them to increase your investments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
#WYGAME
badge
#NBS#
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy it.
There's none like it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
Hi

Dispite the rondel, I don't think Imperial is similar to any other Gerdts games. It's my favorite game so, I can only advise you to buy it, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
I don't know of any other game where you invest in countries and use them to increase your investments.

Maybe not literally, but this is essentially a stock manipulation game; the countries act like companies. Chicago Express has a very similar feel to this one, for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g s
United States
Moab
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
My current favorite game and has been for a while. I mostly play it on BSW. It has a learning curve, but once over that it is great. High replayability, heavy player interaction. Really like this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:
quozl wrote:

Maybe not literally, but this is essentially a stock manipulation game; the countries act like companies. Chicago Express has a very similar feel to this one, for instance.

True but there usually isn't combat in other stock manipulation games. (I think a possible exception might be Iron Dragon with the variant rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Soledade wrote:
Hi

Dispite the rondel, I don't think Imperial is similar to any other Gerdts games. It's my favorite game so, I can only advise you to buy it, of course.

I would further say that if you haven't played a game with a Rondel, then there's no reason not to buy it. This one is often regarded as his best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
quozl wrote:

There's Mercenary from 1978. It's not a "stock" game with shared investments like Imperial as only one player may invest in and take control of a country at a time. But while controlling a country the player makes all economic and military decisions and may siphon off 1/3 of the country's treasury each turn into their personal bank account. And if the player doesn't control the country well enough, he's kicked out and must find another to control. A unique game for it's time, but Imperial is more fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
impulse wrote:
I am interested in getting Imperial, but only if it is not too similar to other boardgames I already own (since I'm on a budget). In other words, I'm looking for something different.

It would help if we knew which other games you own, or have rated, or have even played...! I checked your profile - you're a fan of Rise of Empires. What else?

Imperial is essentially a stock game - invest, get return, reinvest, etc. You invest in countries. The largest investment normally confers control. The controlling player can
(1) develop the country,
(2) build armies,
(3) seize territory (increased national taxation and ultimate increase in value), and most importantly,
(4) they can attack other countries (thereby reducing their value and hindering competitors).

So it's an investment game with warfare. It has some similarity to Chicago Express, but rarely will the locos of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad physically attack the trains of the Wabash Railway Co. Pretty much everyone attacks everyone else in Imperial, although not always at the same time.
It can be a brain burner. The English rules are somewhat vague, and there are optional rules that significantly change the game. It scales well from 4-6, and will generally go about 150 minutes. It can be hard to teach. It is very rewarding, and can be played many times over.

I already decided to play it this weekend.

If I didn't own it, I'd buy it immediately. Probably you should too. But I don't know what else you like...

-R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D E
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually had an Imperial-ish feeling from Perikles. You "invest" in "countries" (nominate/place politicians in the cities), which if you then get a stake in (statue) you are inclined to see do well (city rating at the end of game). You can run multiple cities at once, there is infighting and instead of counting up the cities' ratings count down. The mechanics are different, but the feel is the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
My closest comparison to Imperial would be an older Martin Wallace (Warfrog) design called Princes of the Renaissance. In that game players "invest" (via auction) in six different Italian City States of the title's period. Players represent mercenary Condottieres who buy different types of units to form armies which take each other on to attack or defend the cities in question, the results of which can raise or lower the "status" of the target city thus altering the value of players' investments in that city. The units of exchange in PotR are gold and influence - there are several ways to raise gold (fighting being just one) as well as influence and the bidding for the various tiles up for auction involves one or the other. As with most of Martin's titles there are a myriad of tiles that do different things, limited actions but lots of things to do, and the inevitable brain burn that goes with the many decision points involved. A most interesting and under-rated game in my view.

I very much like both games but think that PotR nudges Imperial out by a nose because of the elegance and multi-layered nature of the earlier game. However, I would recommend Imperial without hesitation and it may be a lot easier to track down than the Warfrog title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g s
United States
Moab
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
...and most importantly, ownership of countries is subject to constant change. You don't just buy a country and then own control it for the rest of the game (or very, very rarely).

Ozludo wrote:
impulse wrote:

It would help if we knew which other games you own, or have rated, or have even played...! I checked your profile - you're a fan of Rise of Empires. What else?

Imperial is essentially a stock game - invest, get return, reinvest, etc. You invest in countries. The largest investment normally confers control. The controlling player can
(1) develop the country,
(2) build armies,
(3) seize territory (increased national taxation and ultimate increase in value), and most importantly,
(4) they can attack other countries (thereby reducing their value and hindering competitors).

So it's an investment game with warfare. It has some similarity to Chicago Express, but rarely will the locos of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad physically attack the trains of the Wabash Railway Co. Pretty much everyone attacks everyone else in Imperial, although not always at the same time.
It can be a brain burner. The English rules are somewhat vague, and there are optional rules that significantly change the game. It scales well from 4-6, and will generally go about 150 minutes. It can be hard to teach. It is very rewarding, and can be played many times over.

I already decided to play it this weekend.

If I didn't own it, I'd buy it immediately. Probably you should too. But I don't know what else you like...

-R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely buy it, the game is unique.
My only regret with this game is it has been sitting on my shelf for months on end in shrink wrap before being brought out to play in our games group. I sort of intentionally did that so that less popular games could be brought forth to play. This way they get some table life before great games like this are brought out and played regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.