Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how does this compare to war and peace.
I rather enjoyed that and somehow have the feeling that age ofN. might be simular.

I know the chits are twice as large, the map is more colourfull and has it's own map error (pissing off the Dutch no end) it has cards wich probably oblige you to make certain moves.

But on the other hand WeP has many more different units and from the sessions reviews I've read I get the impression you are almost obliged to start every game the same, i.e. France moves into Bavaria (not doubt for the beer), Austria moves to Italie (no doubt for the girls) and for the major part of the game Russia is neutral, or not, or maybe so, or no possibly not.. allthough...

I'm tempted to go for this game, only 18 euros at my regular store, but..I don't know, I can't help thinking it may be simular to WeP.
Or maybe so very different I might not enjoy it.

decisions, decisions, I'm feeling very russian about this.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a great game. Not at ALL like War and Peace. No hexes!

Generally AoN starts as you say, with Nappy heading down to Austria, (Italia is already a French Dominion in AoN), but after that, anything goes. I don't think I've ever seen two games of AoN play out the same way, as the cards point you in certain directions, and the nature of the Diplomacy cards, (sending major countries from neutral to allied and vice versa) mean you can never be sure that your strong Prussian ally will not turn to the enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War and Peace was designed for the individual campaigns (about a year each). It is an operational game that has a poorly-considered grand strategy component. As an operational game, I think it's brilliant. But it's really a different scale than Age of Napoleon. You can finish a match of AoN in the time it takes to do just one of the campaigns from W&P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

No hexes..... would you believed I'd totaly overlooked that fact.
shake

Am I right in assuming that the actions are very much depended on the luck of the draw of these diplomacy cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a lot of diplomacy cards is never a bad thing. However, if the French are sitting in an major country capital, it doesn't matter if the coalition has the diplomacy cards, as you can't make a country flip to your side while you've got them occupied. So the swingyness of the Dip cards is manageable, First edition rules were different, and in that case, the answer was yes. Now, not so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Haskell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think that War and Peace is lacking in detail and you can only enjoy the grandeur of Napoleonic strategy in an epic (ie. 100 turns, multiple gaming sessions) game experience, then you probably won't like Age of Napoleon. If, when you hear me say "detail", you hear "fiddly", and you want to play a two-player game of Napoleonic strategy that can be completed in one session, you might like it.

Personally, War and Peace is one of my all-time favorite games. I'm offended when I hear people describe a game as fiddly (although I have referred to WaP as War and Pieces). I love epic games with lots of detail. I like how, in WaP, you must maintain a supply line and you are never absolutely sure that all the units you planned on attacking with will actually get committed to the battle, and you've got different levels of morale and leadership modifiers, and all that. Considering the detail, I still think Wap is a very elegant design. Having said all that, I still enjoyed Age of Napoleon. It lets you play the equivalent of the Grand Campaign game from War and Peace in one evening. I found it to be an enjoyable game.

But then again, I'm a guy who loves ASL but still has lots of fun with Memoir '44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.