Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone tell me how to approach the subject of inserts for boxes to stop the components from rattling around? Are there standard templates for these?

The game I am working on is a card game, with a small board. I expect the size of the board to be around A5 (that's about half a 'letter' piece of paper for you Americans). You can buy standard white mailing boxes for that size with a depth of 40 or 50 mm for 30p or so, which sounds to be a decent fit for my needs. As well as the board, I will probably have 3 or 4 packs of cards and a couple of pawns and a couple of dice.

If I just throw that lot in a box the contents will rattle around. So I guess I need one of those little inserts that you put in the box to provide 'compartments' to put things in. Hence the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
for larger runs, you can go with either vacuum formed plastic inserts, or you can do a die-cut and folded cardboard insert. if it's a low print run, the easiest would probably be to fold and cut pieces of thin chipboard yourself.

if you're only concerned about the rattle and not about the appearance, you could put the non-board components in baggies and tape/glue dot them to the inside of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We see our role as essentially defensive in nature.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Stone Age deals with this efficiently.

One could easily construct a similar insert with cardboard. Cheap, simple, effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure that any insert is 100% effective or it is 100% trash that cost money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
most inserts are very specifically to prevent rattle or component damage during shipping- only a very very few are really designed to be useful afterwards. people are often misinformed about this, and so complain a lot about "bad" inserts... when the insert already did the job it was designed to if someone is at the "opening the box" stage of buying a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.