Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't BGG note in the introductory material that this game is similar to, and almost certainly derived from, the H.P. Gibsons game L'Attaque (1909)? It is not exactly the same, but not far from it (numbered pieces, spy (same name) can kill the strongest piece but only when attacking, flag, bombs, etc.) I'm not talking about similarity the way Stalingrad and Afrika Korps are similar, I mean almost identical in effect. I can't make a closer comparison as I don't have a copy of L'Attaque.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can do that yourself just by clicking on Edit next to the description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was unfamiliar with that game, but on its turn, it is probably derived from Jungle.

As a side note, isn't it a little weird that anyone can edit game descriptions at will?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it is derived from Dou Shou Qi, but most games derive from others in that sense. Stratego is clearly a minor modification of L'Attaque.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lewpuls wrote:
Perhaps it is derived from Dou Shou Qi, but most games derive from others in that sense. Stratego is clearly a minor modification of L'Attaque.

I agree. My uncle had a copy of that game when I was a kid, and I have always thought it was the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
As a side note, isn't it a little weird that anyone can edit game descriptions at will?

Seems to be working fairly well so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:
GSReis wrote:

Seems to be working fairly well so far.

Until someone abuses it...

But back to the original topic, I wonder which other classic "American" games are copies of European games, Risk being a case in point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it based on a wiki model? So even if it gets abused, there's a record of who did it and what they did. So it can be changed, and the user banned...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
But back to the original topic, I wonder which other classic "American" games are copies of European games,

It depends upon how you define 'classic' - but here are a couple:
Clue
Civilization
History of the World
Talisman
Kremlin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:

It depends upon how you define 'classic'

Actually, it's more about how I define "copy". And by that I meant "rip-off". Your examples seem to be just games that were designed in Europe and have been (very) successful in the U.S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Actually, it's more about how I define "copy". And by that I meant "rip-off". Your examples seem to be just games that were designed in Europe and have been (very) successful in the U.S.

Maybe it you?
Both Risk and Stratego are wellknown European designs, like the ones I mentioned, that have been bought by American publishers. So what's the difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone *pay* for the Stratego design, though, or did they just "borrow" it wholesale? That might be the difference.

I'm another one in tha camp of having seen "L'Attaque" decades ago, and thought that Stratego was simply the same game with plastic pieces. But then, it's the same company who are happy to churn out the same dross from one decade to the next, so originality was never going to be high on their list of priorities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Did anyone *pay* for the Stratego design, though, or did they just "borrow" it wholesale? That might be the difference.

I don't know whether Jumbo International actually paid for the design, but I am pretty sure they wouldn't let Milton Bradley use it for free if they could help it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The two games are not exactly the same, as L'A has 36 pieces and Stratego has 40 (as I recall). The piece numbers are also reversed in Stratego (scout is a 9 instead of a 2), though that is not a functional difference.

It's possible L'A was out of copyright by 1947.

In any case, Copyright doesn't protect game ideas, so Stratego was probably technically legal even if L'A was copyrighted in America (and it may not have been).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
from the inside of the sliding cover on the wooden-box version of stratego available at Target:

"In 1908, a French woman, M. Hermance Edan, filed a patent for a 'jeu de bataille avec pieces mobiles sur damier,' or 'a battle game with mobile pieces on a gameboard.' The game, soon sold as L'Attaque, had a red army vs. a blue army - and was the ancestor of the STRATEGO game. L'Attaque became very popular and was sold all over Europe and Britain through World War II and beyond.

The name STRATEGO was first trademarked by a Dutchman named Jacques Johan Mogendorff in 1947. In the 50's it was sold to a European game company. Early versions of the board had only plain squares and a 'no man's land' instead of lakes. Some early sets had wooden playing pieces. In 1961, Milton Bradley bought the rights to the STRATEGO game and introduced 'The Popular Old World Game of Skill and Strategy' to America... and the rest, as they say... is history!"

edit to add:
and down at the bottom it says it's a Jumbo game, and the trademark for STRATEGO is licensed from Hausemann en Hotte BV (Jumbo International).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.