I.M. Fried

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

When I was in my early teens I found and purchased a kind of stock market game from a thrift store. I recall the game being just OK, but the most interesting aspect was two pairs of weighted 8-sided dice -- there was a black pair which was weighted toward the 1 thru 4 side, and a pair of white dice, weighted towards the 5 thru 8 side. I tested them and the dice were true -- each would land about 75% of the time on one of the four numbers it was weighted to favor. In the game various moves would result in determining which pair of dice would be rolled to discover a stock price, so if the price were more likely to go up the white pair woudl be roled, with teh black pair being rolled when the price more likely would go down -- a pretty clever device.

I started using these special dice in RPGs as well, with certain events requiring a particular pair to be rolled -- for example if a sword was cursed, the black pair would be rolled, and if a sword was charmed, the white dice could be rolled. This was definitely a fun element added to the games.

Alas, many years ago those dice were lost when my childhood home was sold and various things were sold/moved. But I always thought that those dice were rather useful in gaming terms. While I have found weighted 6 sided dice online for purchase, I haven't found other sizes, such as the 8-sided. I think it would be fun to design games using weighted dice as one of the elements of the game.

So here are my questions:

1) Does anyone know where various sorts of weighted dice could be purchased -- and I don't want "trick" dice that always come up a certain number, but rather dice that just favors certain numbers.

2) Are there any games that you may know of that use a weighted dice mechanic in their play? I would definitely be interested in such games.

And as a "Bonus," if anyone knows the name of that stock game from many years ago that had those original, weighted 8-sided die, I would appreciate if you could tell me the name.

This is my first post on BGG so I hope I am posting in the right place.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent question, and welcome to the geek. Interesting!
Sorry I can't be any help to your question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Or you could virtually weight them. Say take a 12 sided die an label them 2 fives 2 sixes 2 sevens and 2 eights, an 1,2,3,4. That would only give a 50% chance weight, but it takes away the physical characteristics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Welcome to BGG!

1) You can find "averaging" d6 dice (233445) at places like dicepool.com and gamestation.net. Dice-maker Koplow Games recently added them to their catalog, so you can find them lots of places. Also, there are many d6s that replace the 1 or 6 with an icon, so you could use them for small weight adjustments. As a curiousity, you might be interested in Sicherman Dice. By the way, the trick kind are usually called "loaded" dice.

2) Formula Dé uses weighted polyhedrals for which they used to sell replacement dice packs, but I think those are hard to find now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Another way to weight rolls is to use a mixed set. For example, a d3 (a d6 numbered 112233) and another regular d6 (123456). You can find d6s with distributions like 0-1, 1-2, 1-3, and 0-5 from Chessex.

Or, just buy a few blank dice (any polyhedral) and use a permanent marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But does Your gaming group let You use Your own dice or does everybody use a common set?? If its a common set a loaded die would be not worth getting as You wont be winning more often than before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I.M. Fried

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions -- I will definitely check out dicepool. How does Formula De use the weighted polyhedrals? Does it add something interesting to gameplay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
blusoul wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions -- I will definitely check out dicepool. How does Formula De use the weighted polyhedrals? Does it add something interesting to gameplay?

Actually Formula De uses dice that have different numbers on them. For example it has a d30 that has 21-30 printed on it (something like that). I guess it's virtually weighted, but there's a fairly good chance for any of the numbers printed to be rolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Would suspect that its cheaper to make a die that takes this weighting factor into account than actully producing a weighted die.

So a 12 side die that has 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,6,7,8 is the same as your old weighted d8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also roll multiple dice (e.g. 2d6) and design a system where extreme numbers (i.e. 2, 12) were bad and central numbers were good, then adjust the range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hmm... I was trying to figure out how to get the 25/75% split with normal dice. The best I could come up with is:

Roll 1d8 plus any other die to determine modifiers.
When the modifier die is even, use the face value of the d8.
When the modifier die is odd, modify the value shown.
- For weighting up, add 4 if the number shown on the d8 is less than 4
- For weighting down, subtract 4 if the number shown on the d8 is greater than 4

It's messy but it it'll work. You can then weight at different percentages depending on what you need with different modifier dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could file the dice a bit but be careful to not make it obvious on inspections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
Hmm... I was trying to figure out how to get the 25/75% split with normal dice. The best I could come up with is:

Roll 1d8 plus any other die to determine modifiers.
When the modifier die is even, use the face value of the d8.
When the modifier die is odd, modify the value shown.
- For weighting up, add 4 if the number shown on the d8 is less than 4
- For weighting down, subtract 4 if the number shown on the d8 is greater than 4

It's messy but it it'll work. You can then weight at different percentages depending on what you need with different modifier dice.

How about rolling a d12 9 is a 1, 10 is a 2, 11 is a 3 and 12 is a 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Xeenu - I largely suspect the point here is to have weighted dice that are used as part of the game mechanic. Not for the sake of cheating. At least that's what I'm getting from all of this.

~Daniel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
How about rolling a d12 9 is a 1, 10 is a 2, 11 is a 3 and 12 is a 4?

The problem with the d12 approach is that it only gets a 33/66% weighting, not the 25/75% weighting the OP is looking for. To get that split would require a d16. A d12 would work as a substitute for a weighted d6, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To exactly reproduce a 25/75 distribution, you would need some custom d16's. The 1-4 weighted one would be labeled 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. I know Gamescience makes d16s, and I believe they will make custom ones. What the price would be, I have no idea. Personally, I'd go with the more standard d12: you can get blank ones from Koplow and Chessex, and the 33/67 split is still a significantly skewed distribution.

Or you could do the multi-dice method others have mentioned. I find those difficult to keep track of, personally, but having sets with matching color helps a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
did you tell your DM you where cheating by using weighted dice?

You understand that using those is cheating?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hendal wrote:

It seemed pretty clear from the post that this was something he and his group house-ruled. In which case using unweighted dice where weighted dice are called for would be cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I.M. Fried

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hendal wrote:

I was the DM and the players all knew that the die were weighted -- that was the point -- to affect the roll depending on circumstances using the various weighted die. No cheating was involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blusoul wrote:

Formula De uses standard dice, but tweaks the numbers on two of them to weight the distribution - not physically weighted.

1st Gear - Standard d4, but only number with 1 & 2, evenly distributed.
2nd Gear - Standard d6, with one 2, two 3s, and three 4s printed on it.
3rd Gear - Standard d8, with one 4, one five, and two each of 6-8.
4th Gear - Standard d12 with two each 7-12.
5th Gear - Standard d20 with two each 11-20.
6th Gear - Standard d30 with three each 21-30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
The D16 solution sounds interesting and tenable, but there is something cool about a weighted die that seems to add something exciting about the game. I think it goes to hope- if you have a big die that looks weighted to a group of numbers, it changed the perception of how often those numbers are rolled (even though it is exactly the same). There is something exciting about looking at the dice, knowing they are weighted, and then seeing how it rolls out.

As an aside, I think that this may be the longest I've seen a thread go without someone coming up with the game title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iidhaegn wrote:
@Xeenu - I largely suspect the point here is to have weighted dice that are used as part of the game mechanic. Not for the sake of cheating. At least that's what I'm getting from all of this.

~Daniel

Well You could be right. Just saying that bettering his odds at Settlers or Stalingrad through dice filing might not be easy to obtain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I.M. Fried

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
The D16 solution sounds interesting and tenable, but there is something cool about a weighted die that seems to add something exciting about the game. I think it goes to hope- if you have a big die that looks weighted to a group of numbers, it changed the perception of how often those numbers are rolled (even though it is exactly the same). There is something exciting about looking at the dice, knowing they are weighted, and then seeing how it rolls out.

As an aside, I think that this may be the longest I've seen a thread go without someone coming up with the game title.

Yes that was definitely my main point -- it was fun to roll the die to see how it would turn out. It was also more gratifying to roll a good result when you knew the odds were weighted against you, both literally and figuratively. Plus it is an interesting game mechanic.

Dice that are numbered in unusual ways in order to change the averaging are a good option and I will look into them. But now I wish I still had that stock market game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was it Beat the Market? It certainly seems to match the description.

ETA: Also, it appears to be available for purchase at http://www.odinartcollectables.com/preboardpage2.asp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I.M. Fried

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Was it Beat the Market? It certainly seems to match the description.

ETA: Also, it appears to be available for purchase at http://www.odinartcollectables.com/preboardpage2.asp

That sure looks like it! Thank you! I may even make that purchase.

Now others can see what I was talking about. As you can see from the description if you go to its page, it is a pretty simple game, nothing too skill inducing, but the weighted die are what add the interesting element.

I wish more games used such a weighted dice mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.