Subject: A brief opinion. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first review. it's basic and simple, no mechanics, just my opinion. Mechanical discussions can be found elsewhere on BGG and GMT's site has the rule book for download. I just want to let people know what I thought of this.

I recvd The Kaiser's Pirates from GMT Games as part of their poor economy offer. The theme of anti-shipping warfare was something I find appealing. I had relatives that served as merchant marines in WWII, and the presemce of wrecks not far from my home of U-Boat Sunk ore carriers is even more interesting. The Kaiser's Pirates (TKP) is a light game set in the first world war and sets plaer up as both British and German roles. One part of your hand is the German navy, charged with sinking merchantmen carrying supplies vital to the war effort. While the other part is The British navy, handling both the merchantmen and the British Navy hunting for the German raiders.

I haven't played the multiplayer version yet, only the solo version, so this is where my comments come from.

I've played a couple of rounds so far and I'm having a lot of fun. It's almost as fun sinking the vessels run by the Phantom Player ( PP), as kicking around a real opponent in A Game of Thrones. The anticipation, and subsequent frustration, of turning over that Solitaire card to see how your going to be attacked this time is awesome. You have to plan your card play as you would against a real person.
I have had rounds were I was leading the whole time, sinking and capturing merchantmen as the German navy, then selectively sinking German raiders with the British navy. Then the same thing happens when overconfidence sets in, you overstep your self, deviate from your plan and decide maybe to go all out this turn and try to get some of the big fish, or capture a prize vessel, when a strong defense is played by the PP and all of a sudden you can do nothing but try to cover your butt and try to survive.
I like this one. Alot.
My only real complaint, and its one that has been heard time and again for this game, the rule book. It's difficult. The game at it's core is pretty easy to play and once your figured out the book, or had it taught to you, you find yourself wondering why the book written the way it was. There also wasn't anything really written about the solitaire cards, so there is some digging to find out how to interpret a solitaire card using the multiplayer rules. Not a big deal, but will slow down the solitaire learning process.

The quality of the cards are great. Good art, and they seem durable, time will tell.
I'm going to teach this to my game group this weekend and I'm sure it'll be well received, if not a hit.
Just based on the solitare game, I'd recommend this one to any one. It'll pass time for you as a solitaire game, and I'm expecting the multiplayer will be great.
Thanks GMT.

Like I said this is my first opinion/review, I hope it went over ok.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this for the first time last night - 3 players. I'll totally agree about the rules. It's not that the info isn't in there - it is. Every time I dug into the rules to find out about a game situation, it was in there (one possible exception).

However, each trip generally required lots and lots of digging, and it certainly wasn't clear just where I would find the info.

Did have a fun time once we got things down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
I'm hoping over the next week or so to maybe get a quick guide/ reference sheet worked out. Not the best with this type of thing, but I'm going to try. I'd hate to see people pass this game up becasue of the comments about the rulebook..
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have my grips with the rulebook. It seems like it could have a re-write to put everything in a better order. But there is one thing people around here haven't praised (maybe only I think this is important), is the quantity and lenght of game examples. You have a lot of examples, and some of them are long (even these could use some more illustrations or pictures of the cards been played) that sometimes make more to clarify a rule then the rules themselves!! I would like to have more rulebooks with so many examples as this one. But.......they could be separated from the rules themselves!! When you are looking for something you find yourself in the middle of the examples.That's a little annoying, but sometimes I went looking for an example that, in my mind, clarified a situation better!

But if someone looks to buy this game, please dont be turned off because of the rulebook. If you want to evaluate how hard thisgame is, I think that Race for the Galaxy or Glory to Rome (both also card games) are, IMO, harder to learn than this game!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firepigeon wrote:

I think that Race for the Galaxy or Glory to Rome (both also card games) are, IMO, harder to learn than this game!!!

I completely agree with that. Rules aren't difficult to understand. I struggled much more trying to teach Rare for the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering this game allthough I'm not yet sure if I want to spend that much money $ 56 on a deck of cards.

Yeah I know it probably is very much cheaper at your end of the ocean.

Still it looks like a game one would WANT to love.

One thing left me wondering about your review.

When you play solitair, you play the Germans AND the Brittish?

How is that supposed to work, or did I simply missunderstand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
I'm considering this game allthough I'm not yet sure if I want to spend that much money $ 56 on a deck of cards.

Now who are the pirates!? Muhahahaha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:

Still it looks like a game one would WANT to love.

One thing left me wondering about your review.

When you play solitair, you play the Germans AND the Brittish?

How is that supposed to work, or did I simply missunderstand.

You play both sides during multiplayer games as well. Basically if you want to attack your opponents warships you are playing the British and if you want to attack your opponents merchant ships you are playing your German warships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
sagitar wrote:

Now who are the pirates!? Muhahahaha!

soblue I know, I know, it's sheer torture if you look at the US prices.
cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds very weird to me.

Hm, I would have imagined you each play a side.
Why is that?
I mean why can't you attack as the brittish, I mean you have units protecting the ships, don't you?

Hm, I'll have to investigate further and decide if I'd actually enjoy that.

Well I suppose there must be a good reason for this....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice review and I have ordered the game today as from what you are saying it seems good fun.

Did you ever get down to writing a newbies cheat sheet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,
kinda, I've got some work done on it but due to time constraints recently, I haven't been bale to get any real head way on it.
Glad to hear you liked my review, or whatever it was.
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,
Just a brief update, we're still playing this,it isn't played often, but it's still popular with our group. Last night it was another 4 player session, a team game and it was a lot of fun. We play leisurely, lots of trash talk and groans.
I have to say that this is a great game, what ever you call it, filler or whatever. The theme is good, the cards can be strung together to make great combos and because of the single card draw per turn, you have to try to make the use of every chance you get, sometimes hitting hard, other times squandering a decent action card for it's intercept option that doesn't quite make it.
I spent 3 turns making no actions, just drawing up cards only to have my whole hand emptied by the other players stealing my cards using recon aircraft.
It's that type of thing that makes every hand in this game vital, you need to sink those ships and hamstring your opponents with a steadily dwindling hand.
The luck factor is heavy, but shooting a torpedo off the deck of a heaving ship and hoping it hit that target that was also bobbing along also required quite a bit of luck, so it fits, and we rue it regularly!

So, great game. whether solitaire or with a group, pick it up.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.