Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Rauh
United States
St. Peter
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FORTS

The leader rules has added a great and fun dimension to this game. But I noticed that the leader die roll modifiers make forts even less formidable. Granted, in the actual war, forts were usually abandoned before a siege because the defenders understood that they wouldn't last and so fled. This happens often in the game, too, which is fine. But the leader rules make forts even less defensible. I found myself not hesitating to attack a fort even at 1:2 odds if I have, for example, Arnold and his +2 die roll modifier.

So here are a couple ideas.

Option 1 This makes sense though I don't like it as much as the other. The only die roll modifiers that apply to forts are artillery. Leaders, elites, etc. do not apply, though you still apply die roll modifiers if the force has strength points that are not controlled by enough leaders.

Option 2. Make forts easier to build. The normal build rule for forts is to exchange one supply, one artillery and one regular infantry for a fort. Ft. Stanwix and Ninety-Six didn't have any guns on their walls. Where did the artillery go? Whereas Ticonderoga had guns which were carried off for Washington. The game correctly places an artillery unit there. And why exchange the one regular strength point? Were they offered up to the fort gods? What I do now to build forts is this. You exchange two supply for a fort, no strength points, no artillery. At first I exchanged only one supply, but that made forts too easy to build. The British built forts everywhere! In combat you applied all leader and elite modifiers.

STORMS

I read that Howe moved his troops to Philadelphia, not by land but by sea. This would make sense in the 1776 rules because a fleet can just make the trip in one month. Storms came up, however, and it took him well over a month to reach Philadelphia.

I pulled and tweaked a little rule from the Southern Campaign scenario in the Boardgamer concerning storms. At the beginning of each turn, you roll a die to see if storms arise. It depends on the month. In Jan., a storm will arise on a roll of 2-6. In Feb. and Dec., on a roll of 3-6. In Mar. and Nov. on a roll of 4-6. In Apr. and Oct. on a roll of 5-6. May through August are storm free.

Storm consequences. 1) Ships at sea must roll for damage. On a roll of six, the fleet suffers a D1 result. Treat it just as if it was damaged in combat. Ships in port or on class two or three river hexsides do not roll, but ships in the West Indies still roll.
2) All sea movement allowances are halved through the whole turn. Ships can still enter or leave transitional boxes normally. You can still move from one transitional box to another in the turn.

A couple more are to come
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Glover

New York
msg tools
Re: A Couple Houserules: Strategic Towns and Lines of Supply
I am trying a few new rules for British forces to prevent them from just piling into one huge pile and going wherever they want with relative impunity.
1. Each hex maximum 30 strength units
2. Combat can occur with units adjacent hexes to each other. Units from multiple hexes can attack an adjoining hex. No landing on top of defending units. I then add terrain factors to affect the combat. If attacking across a level two river, your strength is halved (reduced by a 1/4 if attacking across a stream),if attacking a unit that is in a mountain hex your die roll is reduced by two or three depending on the if the hex is all mountain or not. Attacking a unit in a swamp causes a -2 to dice roll.

3.For the British troops line of supply rules apply: they must be within 8 movement points of strategic town, 4 movement points from a port (that is not a strategic town) and two movement points from any small town. These towns must have troops to allow for a line of supply to work. If a British unit can not trace a line of supply to a strategic town, port or small town within this range then they lose a supply for every turn they can not trace a line of supply. A line of supply can not be traced over an enemy unit(s). The British must have at least one regular unit on the strategic town/port/small town.

4. Finally, after the first attack in a turn you must use a supply for each additional attack.

5. Before any battle militia must roll the die to see if any flee. Roll a 6 they all flee, 5 and half flee, 4 and 40% flee.

I think these rules allow for more realistic battles as they allow the defender to use terrain to his advantage and keep some check on the movement of the British forces that puts some realistic choices for the players to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Glover

New York
msg tools
I am trying a few new rules for British forces to prevent them from just piling into one huge pile and going wherever they want with relative impunity.
1. Each hex maximum 30 strength units
2. Combat can occur with units adjacent hexes to each other. Units from multiple hexes can attack an adjoining hex. No landing on top of defending units. I then add terrain factors to affect the combat. If attacking across a level two river, your strength is halved (reduced by a 1/4 if attacking across a stream),if attacking a unit that is in a mountain hex your die roll is reduced by two or three depending on the if the hex is all mountain or not. Attacking a unit in a swamp causes a -2 to dice roll.

3.For the British troops line of supply rules apply: they must be within 8 movement points of strategic town, 4 movement points from a port (that is not a strategic town) and two movement points from any small town. These towns must have troops to allow for a line of supply to work. If a British unit can not trace a line of supply to a strategic town, port or small town within this range then they lose a supply for every turn they can not trace a line of supply. A line of supply can not be traced over an enemy unit(s). The British must have at least one regular unit on the strategic town/port/small town.

4. Finally, after the first attack in a turn you must use a supply for each additional attack.

5. Before any battle militia must roll the die to see if any flee. Roll a 6 they all flee, 5 and half flee, 4 and 40% flee.

I think these rules allow for more realistic battles as they allow the defender to use terrain to his advantage and keep some check on the movement of the British forces that puts some realistic choices for the players to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.