Popular Tags: [View All]
Jojo Conwell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am aware of one difference in the rules.

In one version (the latest?) of the FFG under Final Scoring, you will see that duplicates of the civilization cards only score one point each; whereas the word on the Geek is that HiG scores duplicates as a second set using the squared score mechanism.

Are there any other differences?
Does each resource count for 1 point in every version of the game?
What rules does the online version use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: FFG rules VS HiG rules: discrepancies?
The squared sets is the only rules difference I know of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG=?

Flying Frog Games?
Fantasy Flight Games?

Neither make sense here since neither publish this game. So clue me in, FFG=?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:
FFG=?

Flying Frog Games?
Fantasy Flight Games?

Neither make sense here since neither publish this game. So clue me in, FFG=?

I second this. New ruleset? By who? where?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jojo Conwell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My mistake, I corrected the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mb
I looked at the HiG rules and didn't see any place that looked like you scored for each set.

I then opened the RGG rule set and see the same thing:

Quote:
Multiple the different civilization cards with the green backgrounds by themselves.

We always took this to mean that each symbol was only counted once and each duplicate symbol was worthless.

But if you look at the first opage of the civilization card reference sheet (page 8 of the RGG PDF), it says:

Quote:
During the final scoring, each player multiplies the number of different card by itself and adds extras.

Example: Ea player has 5 civilization cards with different culture symbols = 25 points (5x5). In addition, he has 1 extra pottery + 1 point (1x1) = 26 points.

So which is right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always used this rule and never had a problem as it was stated in the rules.

Each player has 5 civilization cards with different culture symbols = 25 points (5x5). In addition, he has 1 extra pottery + 1 point (1x1) = 26 points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mb
Rindel wrote:
I've always used this rule and never had a problem as it was stated in the rules.

Each player has 5 civilization cards with different culture symbols = 25 points (5x5). In addition, he has 1 extra pottery + 1 point (1x1) = 26 points

The issue I have is there is a contradiction between the rules and the reference. Plus, I never had someone make the square multiple sets argument before. Without the reference sheet discrepancy, I could almost be convinced that it was a valid argument andwould definitely like clarification on that point.

Nice avatar, BTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I don't think I've even noticed the discrepancy between the the ref sheet and rules till folks here started bringing it up. I'll still continue to play the way I always have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mb
Rindel wrote:
Thanks.

I don't think I've even noticed the discrepancy between the the ref sheet and rules till folks here started bringing it up. I'll still continue to play the way I always have.

Barring an official answer, I will likely switch to it, also. It makes sense since each additional good is also worth a point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a plan

Even if they change it officially I might carry on playing it the way I have, if eveyone I'm playing with is happy with the rule then I don't see the point in changing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
Plus, I never had someone make the square multiple sets argument before.

In one of the threads here, HiG admitted they used a poor example for the extra (1x1) and said that you should square the extras as if it were a second set. 1 extra = 1, 2 extra = 4, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jojo Conwell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
wrote:

So which is right?

The following linked post shows a scan of a later version of the RGG rule with a clearer explanation, saying that duplicates are worth one point each.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3207129#3207129

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, both versions are right, since they're both published rules.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe BSW uses the HiG square the second set rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Technically, both versions are right, since they're both published rules.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe BSW uses the HiG square the second set rule.

yes BSW does use the second set rule and i believe this makes the game more balanced.

if the duplicate cards were only worth 1 point each it would lessen the value of the green culture cards relative to the multiplier cards and huts and i don't think that's good for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So with this rule change, if it becomes official. I could instead of trying to work out how to get different types of civ cards (which I think is a great part of the game and adds alot to it) just grab any card going, be they duplicates or not and make up a second set, third set etc and score them

It seems to me that this rule takes alot of the strategy and fun out of the game for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
So with this rule change, if it becomes official. I could instead of trying to work out how to get different types of civ cards (which I think is a great part of the game and adds alot to it) just grab any card going, be they duplicates or not and make up a second set, third set etc and score them

It seems to me that this rule takes alot of the strategy and fun out of the game for me.

There are only two of each card so the maximum you could have would be 8x8 + 8x8 = 128. It still is more valuable to finish out a single set.

6x6 = 36 versus two sets of 3 (3x3 + 3x3 = 18)

I do not think there was ever an official ruling that second sets do not count (or only count as 1 point). It was just a question of a poorly chosen example which did not clearly illustrate it one way or the other. The current RGG version has clarified the example to validate that duplicate cards can be scored as a second set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wwscrispin wrote:
The current RGG version has clarified the example to validate that duplicate cards can be scored as a second set.

Is that true? I think the main reason why the debate continues is that RGG clarified the rule not in accordance to HiG, to say that extra cards do not score as a second set. Did Jay change his mind on a rule? That would be surprising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
wwscrispin wrote:
The current RGG version has clarified the example to validate that duplicate cards can be scored as a second set.

Is that true? I think the main reason why the debate continues is that RGG clarified the rule not in accordance to HiG, to say that extra cards do not score as a second set. Did Jay change his mind on a rule? That would be surprising.

I am not sure if Jay said it but the fact that newer RGG rules show a clarified example led me to believe that was the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:

firstly the maximum number of sets you can have is 2.

secondly because of the squaring equation it's still optimal to maximise one set than have the same number of cards but split between 2 sets. therefore there's still an incentive to target unique cards rather than just grab whatever is going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim bo is absolutely right. Let's do some math:

(i) Creating subsets is worth than scoring a full set.

You've got n unique cards and you want to score them in two subsets, one containing 0<k<n cards and the other, obviously, 0<n-k<n cards.

You score:

(n-k)² + k²
= n² - 2nk + 2k²
= n² - 2k(n-k) < n² (both, k>0 and n-k>0)

Scoring the whole set of n cards gives n² points - more than scoring two subsets. q. e. d.

(ii) Moving cards from one set to another is worth than scoring one greatest and one smallest set.

You've got m unique cards and 0<n<m duplicates. However, you want to move 0<k<m-n cards from set m to set n.

You score:

(m-k)² + (n+k)²
= m² - 2mk + n² + 2nk + 2k²
= m² + n² - 2k(m-n-k) < m² + n² (both, k>0 and m-n-k>0)

Scoring a full set of unique cards and another one with duplicates gives m² + n² points - more than scoring "mixed" sets. q. e. d.

Examples:

(i) You've got A, B, C, D, E. That's 5²=25 points. Splitting 1-4 or 2-3 gives only 1²+4²=17 or 2²+3²=13 points, respectively.

(ii) You've got A, A, B, B, C, D, E. That's 5²+2²=29 points. Splitting like A-B-C-D and A-B-E is only 4²+3²=25 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.