Subject: I don't get "GeekDo" and neither does anyone I know. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: complaint [+] geekdo_dont [+] [View All]
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
The GeekDo Concept is Weak . . . Interesting and Whimsical but Weak

So, I get what GeekDo is supposed to be. Do = Dao = "The Way." Yes, yes, yes, yes, I get it to that extent.

But, does anyone love the concept? Does it "click" with anybody?

Now, most of the folks I play games with have at least some graduate-level education, Asian-American, or have a bachelor's in Asian Studies. Blah blah blah... my point is that living in Seattle and being a far more Asian-aware slice of the general game-playing public in America, only TrojanDan didn't ask what it meant.

My girlfriend asked me the other day (when BGG was down and a GeekDo splash screen was up), "What's 'Geek-Do?'" (She said "do" as in the verb "to do.")

I said, "It's actually GeekDō." Like in the martial art that you're a black belt in . . . TaeKwonDo.

She then uttered, "Huh?"

So of course you explain to folks that it's Dō! BushiDō, TaeKwonDō. AkiDō. What have you. When they understand, it's never an "ah hah!" moment. It's just, "Oh. Okay."

Okay.

Like other folks I've explained this to who aren't really avid gamers, the sense is that BoardGameGeek was perfect for the site. It needed no explanation, and it was unapologetic in the obvious love the site's name showed.

So, what should we do about the other elements that are being attached to the 'Geek? I don't know, I didn't see anything wrong with RolePlayingGameGeek.

Like my girlfriend commented, "Why would they change it from something so good to something that needs an explanation?"

I know BoardGameGeek.com isn't gone . . . but isn't the Dō appellation too specific to a certain kind of geek? Is Dō too esoteric? No matter what your answers are to these questions, the name is weak.

Especially since even writing the word in some kind of borderline-insulting, over-stereotyped font still doesn't keep first-timers from thinking the word is "geek do" as in the verb "to do."
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompcat wrote:
the name is weak.

Only if you're not a Ninja. And if you're not a Ninja, then you're probably a dirty pirate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Rompcat wrote:
So, what should we do about the other elements that are being attached to the 'Geek? I don't know, I didn't see anything wrong with RolePlayingGameGeek.

Like my girlfriend commented, "Why would they change it from something so good to something that needs an explanation?"

www.rpggeek.com still brings you to the RPG side of geekdo. And www.boardgamegeek.com still works too. And of course we're still attending BGG.CON in November.

If the site was going to stay focused on board games, the name change probably would never have occurred. But in order to add other kinds of geekdom, they needed an umbrella label for the whole brand.

Edited to add: the gamegeek.com domain was probably too expensive. I recall the admins asking people for suggestions that were a) better than "geekdo" and b) cheap enough to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GeekDo == This is What Geeks Do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its brilliant.

Of course, I teach martial arts, so maybe I immediately got the reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are BGG and geekdo seperate? Or do they link to the same content?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was immediately turned off by GeekDo and actually didn't get it until I saw some reference to it with a picture that provided context. (I think it was a picture of someone in a meditation pose).

I find the whole GeekDo thing silly, but as I've never developed a successful website with subscribers and advertisers, maybe Aldie knows more about this stuff than I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because Flickr so obviously means a photo-uploading site. And Google so obviously says search engine, as does Yahoo. I mean, what were they thinking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own or play any RPGs so it doesn't matter to me what the other website is called - as long as BGG exists is all that matters to me. To each their own...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
dagibbs wrote:
Are BGG and geekdo seperate? Or do they link to the same content?

They have the same content, drawn from the same databases. Try clicking on the following links:

www.geekdo.com
www.rpggeek.com
www.boardgamegeek.com
boardgame.geekdo.com
rpg.geekdo.com

The RPG ones lead you to a section of the site under the "RPG" tab at the top; the board games ones lead you to the "board games" tab. Geekdo.com defaults to board games.

The only difference is www.boardgamegeek.com, which links to the old layout of the site where the relationship between board games and RPGs under Geekdo is not so transparent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Because Flickr so obviously means a photo-uploading site. And Google so obviously says search engine, as does Yahoo. I mean, what were they thinking?

Or Amazon, eBay, Boing Boing, Facebook, Slashdot...Or pretty much any other website I tend to frequent.

Excuse my while I go play the Wii....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
"Wii" is the dumbest, stupidest name ever. The marketers who came up with that should be shot. The fact that it's successful only means that the world is populated with video game junkies who'll buy anything.

OR

Its an amazing unique web searchable word that combines the concept of family style play (We) and the sensation of freeform fun (Whee) where the word itself resembles two players standing next to each other and sharing the experience so that all of these concepts resonate at some level when reading the word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the name.
Even if somebody mispronounces it as "Do" rather than "Dō" it makes sense.

Q: What do geeks do?
A: Worry that "GeekDō" is too esoteric, while playing games that most people have never heard of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inappropriate use of foreign language for variety/differentiation always reminds me of this kind of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompcat wrote:
But, does anyone love the concept? Does it "click" with anybody?

Although I like the concept of the linked sites, the name doesn't click at all with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I concur on all counts. Also, I'd like to add that I always liked the "boardgame" part of boardgamegeek more than I did the "geek" part. Now they take away "boardgame," keep the "geek," and tack on some "do," which I, in spite of, or should I say precisely because of my being asian, I cannot relate to at all.

I mean, maybe "do" is somehow related to boardgames and rpgs for westerners, because of ninjas in comic strips and whatnot. But like they say, in China we just call Chinese food "food."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Can you give me a word that's not "web searchable"?

batt'l kha'os?

That said, "geekdo" makes me itch... I don't like it either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chen
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going with GeekDo, you might as well start giving out belts.

(I think of Napoleon Dynamite, when use GeekDo.)

I started using GeekDo, but realized no more quickbar! Is there a way to get a QuickBar back in boardgame.geekdo.com?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get it until it was explained in this post. I'm still not keen on it.

The term "Google-fu" makes perfect sense to me; "GeekDo" isn't intuitive - in part because it's so nonspecific - and it's kind of an ugly word to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Its an amazing unique web searchable word . . .

Can you give me a word that's not "web searchable"?

That's not exactly what he means...

Go to google.

Search for "Wii". EVERY single result on the first many pages will be about one thing and one thing only.

Now search for say... Death Star. Even on the first page, there's things that aren't related to the giant spherical battlestation. There's a NASA page, and something related to some other object someone just happened to call 'death star'.

THAT's web searchability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know what they meant by "geekdo" until I read this thread. The explanation didn't increase my appreciation of it. I think it's just a swing and a miss, as far as names go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of the geekdo name. The part that bugs me the most is that this was the perfect opportunity to get a link that did not include 'geek' in it. Go to "newsitename.com" and click 'boardgames'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Allen
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's a stopgap measure until Geekdom becomes available, then all we'll have to do is add an "m". Geekdom sounds great to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Apparently they needed a more generic name as they expand this database framework into other areas. First RPG .... then maybe video games, or movies, or books. Perhaps the name was chosen with an ultimate goal in mind -- a database chronicling all manner of sweet, fried batter treats:

"GeekDoNuts.com"

That would explain the "dō" part of the pronunciation too.

Sorry, I just passed a Shipley's Do-Nuts shortly after reading this thread and couldn't get the thought out of my head....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Allen
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geekdom.com is taken, but Geekdoms.com seems to be available. I like that, too.

Edit: Except for the whole "dom" thing sounding like "dumb". blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.