Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Pollan's op-ed in the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/opinion/10pollan.html?_r=2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Government intervention begets further government intervention to eliminate our freedoms. Are you surprised by this?

Please define freedom.

How much does freedom cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire a blank round in Times Square and see how much freedom you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Government intervention begets further government intervention to eliminate our freedoms. Are you surprised by this?

I suggest you read Pollan's book "In Defense of Food" before you assume that he's not right on target here.

A "Free" society assumes that people can make freely their decisions based on actual data not the ginned up version that is being fed to us by agribusiness and the processed food industry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see a system to tax people based on weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Government intervention begets further government intervention to eliminate our freedoms.

They could start by eliminating one form of government intervention -- subsidies for corn that helped create the ubiquity of corn syrup in our food system.

I recommend King Corn to anyone interested in learning about this massive shift in our national diet and some of its consequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat R
United States
Peculiar
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

I suggest you read Pollan's book "In Defense of Food" before you assume that he's not right on target here.

A "Free" society assumes that people can make freely their decisions based on actual data not the ginned up version that is being fed to us by agribusiness and the processed food industry.

I am sorry, but you are incorrect. Americans "know" all of this. As a group we choose to ignore it. Smoking causes cancer. Fat people die of heart attacks and get diabetes. We know this. We know other stuff too. Oil is a bad source of energy. It pollutes, it gives money to bad people, it's finite. We "know" all the bad stuff. As a group however, we choose not to know. I am not all into psch stuff. I am sure there is a name for it. Heck, maybe I "know" and am just doing what we seem to be good at. Not caring what the truth is and living however we want, without regard for each other, our future or the future of our children... Other than the unborn children I mean. We give a crap about them. 10 seconds outta the womb we quit caring, but while still in it, we will fight tooth and nail.
Anyway, your wrong. Information won't change Americans. You could print "This hamburger is killing your fat ass stupid" on Bigmac's in glowing letters and they would still shovel them in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what the smoking warning labels look like in Europe:

I couldn't find a picture of the one I have:

Quote:
Smoking may reduce the blood flow and causes impotence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

I would be happy with just balancing out airplane tickets. Right now, a person weighing 150kg gets to bring an extra 20kg in baggage. That mean I (at 70kg) should be permitted 100kg in baggage. After all, it's all about fuel consumption, right?

I'm not holding my breath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lizardbaby wrote:

Anyway, your wrong. Information won't change Americans. You could print "This hamburger is killing your fat ass stupid" on Bigmac's in glowing letters and they would still shovel them in.

True. @ 5:15

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:

I'm not saying the opinion piece is wrong. I agree that his scenario is a likely outcome. I also realize that what we currently have in the food business barely resembles a free market. Agri-business currently uses the power of both federal and state governments to get all kinds of subsidies from the taxpayers and/or mandates imposed on consumers for their products.

Wake up: The free market does not exist. If zombie Adam Smith rose from his grave, I'm pretty sure he'd agree too. It never existed. If the government is not distorting it, competitors that have a major size advantage would.

So the question is not if a market is distorted, but if the distortions created by each agent are good for most people. In the case of agriculture, pretty much every country in the world has built some form of protectionism around it, because of its strategic value: If large amounts of your food supply came from overseas, and a local financial crisis occurred, creating major devaluation, you could face a starving population. There is also issues of bad weather or plagues that could lower the expected food national output, leading to starvation. We have all kinds of examples from the history books. That is why every government distorts their local market to guarantee that food remains plentiful and cheap.

Now, the problem with those subsidies in the US is that, instead of being done to cheapen the healthiest foods, making them more available, they are on some of the least healthy. But you'll never get rid of all subsidies, because no government wants to ignore the strategic implications of having a food surplus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
quozl wrote:
I couldn't find a picture of the one I have:

Quote:
Smoking may reduce the blood flow and causes impotence

While that one is "cuter", the package I have looks more like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
This is what the smoking warning labels look like in Europe:

Not everywhere in Europe, and the labels themselves haven't made that big of a difference in consumption. If anything, it was making teens want to try it more.

What has been changing the habits has been to ban, or at least limit, smoking in bars, and raising the costs of cigarettes above what teens can afford: Many manufacturers had brands targeted at teens that cost between 1 and 2 euros a pack. Making the cheapest brand go up to 1.85 raised consumption by 4.5% in a matter of months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
After we tax people for being fat, can we develop a tax based on IQ so that stupid people, who are a drain on societal resources, have to pay more for this privilege?

After your recent post I've been examining my RSP behavior and trying to cut way, way back on my insults.

Which makes this post of yours rather unfair, possibly even spiteful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I sat through a day-long departmental retreat today. I am a post-doc at the University of Washington. Our keynote address was delivered by Christopher Murray (Professor, UW Global Health Director, UW Institute for Health Metrics & Evaluation). He talked quite a bit about how disease is evaluated in the world, and some of the data presented shed some light on our situation in the USA. I will try to recreate some of the graphs he showed to illustrate some interesting points in another thread, but here I just wanted to pass along his professional opinion on the health care bill proposal and our eating habits:

He said that if we ban trans-fats (as NY has already done) we would save twice as many lives as the proposed health care fixes will (30,000/year). This is because the bill focuses on the financial strains that the system is imposing (which are significant), while contributing very little to improving care, or stressing prevention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
slowcorner wrote:
....He said that if we ban trans-fats (as NY has already done) we would save twice as many lives as the proposed health care fixes will (30,000/year). This is because the bill focuses on the financial strains that the system is imposing (which are significant), while contributing very little to improving care, or stressing prevention. ....

I'll say upfront that I am in Australia and we have a national health system. I support its continuance unless something better can be found.

A major problem of national tax payer funded health care is that by removing the possibility of future massive disastrous personal debt, individuals are less likely to take care of their own health in terms of correct weight, exercise, not smoking and sensible drinking.

Finding solutions to this problem may become vital to having a successful economy.

Now the caveats; this same effect of lack of heed of future consequences seems very likely to occur with "single price" private health insurance, and the absolute size of the increased "heedlessness" I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
After we tax people for being fat, can we develop a tax based on IQ so that stupid people, who are a drain on societal resources, have to pay more for this privilege?

I've heard the state lotteries called a tax on the stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than taxing them, I think fat people should be put to death, thereby eliminating the drain on our planet's limited resources which they cause by eating all the food and taking up all the space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
Rather than taxing them, I think fat people should be put to death, thereby eliminating the drain on our planet's limited resources which they cause by eating all the food and taking up all the space.

Well, after being put to death, I think they should be used as fuel so that while being eliminated as a drain on our planet, they actually serve a useful purpose as their BTU value can help light our homes without having to drill for oil or mine for coal.

which reminds me...

...I really have to start that diet this week...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
berserkley wrote:

Well, after being put to death, I think they should be used as fuel so that while being eliminated as a drain on our planet, they actually serve a useful purpose as their BTU value can help light our homes without having to drill for oil or mine for coal.

which reminds me...

Ouch! Out satirized by the Master!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
berserkley wrote:

which reminds me...

Ouch! Out satirized by the Master!

...though I find my idea is not entirely original. A quick Google search reveals...

Of course, there is a bit of a difference, as my idea is to use fat people of any age to power our world, while Exxon wishes to burn old people. I'm sure we could use both and end our dependence upon foreign oil virtually overnight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

You know that would destroy the gaming industry, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"This hamburger is killing your fat ass stupid" on Bigmac's in glowing letters and they would still shovel them in.

I'd still eat them, just out of spite. And I can't stand Big Macs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
slowcorner wrote:
....He said that if we ban trans-fats (as NY has already done) we would save twice as many lives as the proposed health care fixes will (30,000/year). This is because the bill focuses on the financial strains that the system is imposing (which are significant), while contributing very little to improving care, or stressing prevention. ....

I'll say upfront that I am in Australia and we have a national health system. I support its continuance unless something better can be found.

A major problem of national tax payer funded health care is that by removing the possibility of future massive disastrous personal debt, individuals are less likely to take care of their own health in terms of correct weight, exercise, not smoking and sensible drinking.

Can you (or the aussie government) demonstrate that fear of bankruptcy is a "major" motivator in people's fitness & health levels? The american model certainly suggests it is no deterrent at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
The number one thing most people can do to improve their health is to lose weight. Unfortunately it is one of the hardest things anyone can do. I think it's harder than quitting smoking. You don't have to become skinny to enjoy the health benefits either. A reduction of 5% of your body weight has dramatic effects on reducing blood pressure, and decreasing your chance of developing diabetes.

I went to KFC the other day because I forgot my lunch. I stood behind an obese woman who was ordering her food using the KFC 'lingo' that the employees use. I thought that once you start to talk about the food there with that much familiarity, you're probably eating there too often...

Maybe the answer is starting earlier with parents. I've seen so many babies clutching french fries in their chubby little fingers, with juice in their sippy cup and a bag of cheesies in the stroller. I've learned that a lot of parents just don't know any better and so their kids grow up thinking that junk food and multiple meals a day at MacDonalds is normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.