United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb

Burger Joint is a 2 player resource management game where players build up their fast food franchise. Players do this by obtaining cubes which are brought into play during the production phase. During a player’s turn, these cubes are spent in various combinations to upgrade dining establishments and to advertise. As dining establishments are upgraded, the players get more cubes as well as victory points (VP). The first player to get 12 VP wins.

The game consists of 3 small boards, 60 cubes (6 colors, 10 of each color), a cube bag and marker tokens. Each player gets a player board, one depicting a pizza franchise and the other depicting a burger franchise. These boards are divided into to 4 columns: Advertising, joints, diners, bistros. The cost of each (in cubes) is listed at the top of each column.

Advertising: Whenever cubes are spent for this, VP’s may be awarded and the player gets to steal a cube from his opponent.

Burger/Pizza Joints: Depending on how many are constructed, players may earn VP’s. These are required to upgrade to diners.

Diners: Score VP’s and allow increase in production and gives priority in cube selection (see below). These must be upgraded from joints.

Bistros: Score VP’s and allow increase in production (see below). Each bistro has a different ability which helps the owning player get cubes. Bistros must be upgraded from diners.

The Turn:

1. Production: The active player draws cubes from a bag. The number of cubes drawn equals the number of diners and bistros owned by both players (max 4 cubes per player). Each diner has a cube color. For example, if a player has built the green cube diner, then the other player cannot select any green cubes during his first selection. If both players have built the same cube color diner, then this feature is negated. Barring any potential restrictions outlined above, starting with the active player, each player selects any cube of their choice, one at a time until all cubes are selectes. Note that a player cannot select a number of cubes surpassing his production limit (this equals the number of diners and bistros he owns).

2.Trade: The active player may make 3:1 trades of any 3 like-colored cubes for one other cube of his choice. He may also invoke any special bistro powers once per turn. These are (depending on the bistro built):
a) No Special Power (this bistro is worth 3 VP if built).
b) Put any one of your cubes in the bag to draw a random cube (2 VP if built).
c) Place any 2 owned cubes in the bag, pick any one cube from bag ( 2 VP if built) .
d) Draw a random cube from the bag (1 VP if built)
e) Put any one of your cubes in the bag then select any one cube from the bag (1 VP if built)
f) Select any one cube from the bag (0 VP if built)

Note: the better the power, the less VP the bistro is worth. Thus the player has to decide between building a bistro with a useful power verses a bistro worth more VP’s.

3.Building: The active player may build joints, upgrade to diners and/or bistros or advertise as much as he wants and is able.

4.Adjust VP’s: if a player reaches 12 VP on his track, he automatically wins.

5.Discard Excess Cubes: If either player has more then 7 cubes in storage (regardless of whose turn it is), he must discard down to 7, placing the excess cubes in the bag. Note spent/discarded cubes are always placed back in the bag.

My Overall Impressions

Theme: 8 I actually like the food theme in games and am looking forward to playing others (I have Restaurant Row on order now). The game play IMO fits the theme fairly well (about as much as Caylus fits its theme I suppose).

Mechanics: 7.5 I like resource management games and games that involve building up some kind of empire. They usually play better with more than 2 players, but this game is special in that is designed for, and consequently, works very well with 2.

Strategy: 7 There are several paths for victory. There is obviously luck depending on what cubes are drawn, though there are several different ways to approach victory. The random cube drawings forces various decisions, which I really like.

Rule book:10 Short, sweet, error-free and totally comprehensible

Asthetics/components: 7 The box size is great. Small with no superfluous space. The components are cardboard. The cubes are medium sized and well-painted. The boards are colorful, though a little warped. The artwork is decent.

Overall Fun Factor: 8 I must say this game is a lot of fun. I really enjoy resource management games, Caylus being one of my favorites. True the theme not as strong as in some games, but for me, the theme works. I like the mechanics and it plays quickly. For me, it is a real treat to find a little resource management game that has surprising depth and works very well with 2.

Highlights
- Building up your franchise by obtaining cubes and spending them in various combinations
- 2-Player only
- Multiple Paths to victory
- Random cube selection from a bag
- Plays in about 30-40 minutes
- Very eurogame-y (no monsters, zombies or carnage)
- Reminds me a bit of Caylus in that you get cubes, then spend them in various combinations for other things.

If you like those aspects of the game, I would highly recommend it.

edit:typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
ropearoni4 wrote:
Not sure Huber should've tipped this review. It could appear to some that he will "buy" good exposure. Just saying that if he doesn't tip bad reviews to his game, it might appear shilled. But I am sure that was not his intent (just so no one thinks that).

I'm all for the 3-4 player game expansion: tacos versus ice cream.

Actually, I've tipped the same amount to every review of a game I've designed, including this one, because I do appreciate the reviews regardless of the conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I should delete my post then. My hat is off to you.
Now what about the tacos and icecream?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Already tried Ice Cream, though I suppose tacos could be done.

The problem, I fear, is that I never found a way to turn Burger Joint into a reasonable multiplayer game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the gg tip by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
Do you have any ideas for a multiplayer game that we could print out and test out? That would be kinda fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
thenettavenner wrote:
Do you have any ideas for a multiplayer game that we could print out and test out? That would be kinda fun.

I fear not. I thought about the problem a fair bit - Burger Joint is one of the few two player designs I've ever done, as I generally prefer multiplayer games and thus tend to be more comfortable designing in that space. But many of the elements - including the cube limit, the mirror symmetry, and even the drafting - are inherently two player solutions as I've attempted to use them here.

Of course, if anyone else comes up with a multiplayer variant they believes works well, I'd love to see it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.