Andrea Zavala
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
My in laws gave us a box full of board games that they had when they were kids. Great condition, all pieces still in original boxes. Problem is, I don't want all this stuff taking up more space in my garage and I want to find out if they are worth something, or if I should just save them and give them to my kids.... how do I find out their value to consider putting them on ebay or something? Someone suggested I ask in this forum that someone should be able to help me. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

One of the first questions if you're thinking of selling: Do the games smell?

Are they mildewed? Cigarette odor? Any musty smell at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just list all the games, and give the condition (good/beat up/seems to be missing pieces). If any of the games are clearly valuable, somebody here will know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools

You acquisition seem intriguing. I would recommend either just listing the games you have or if you want you could stack them in such a way that their titles are visible and then snap a quick digipix and post it. I am sure if you do this people can give you advice as to sales worth, etc. If you currently play games (or your kids? do) maybe you could even trade them on this site for other games you would play. Hope this maybe helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Zavala
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
No they are in very good condition for being so old. No mildew or smoke smell. One of the boxes has some cosmetic damage, the cardboard is peeling a bit, but other than that they look like they were purchased and then stuck in a box for years. I think they all have all of the pieces, even the yahtzee has the original pencils and dice still in the little slots.
I have: Yahtzee, Password, checkers, Schaper's MILL game, Blockhead, Quizmo, Cootie, Lotto, another Blockhead, telling time flashcards, I think that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to tell ya, but these aren't really worth anything. If they are in REALLY good shape with classic old covers you might get $5-10 for them each on Ebay (a slight bit more if you are lucky), but keep your expectations VERY low. These are common games that are either all readily available at any toy store (or thrift store for that matter), or are dated and out of fashion. I assume the Mill game is actually Nine Men's Morris.

Good luck with them, whatever you do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick-reference way to guess the values is to go to each game's listing and click on "Marketplace."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Zavala
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
joewyka wrote:
Sorry to tell ya, but these aren't really worth anything. If they are in REALLY good shape with classic old covers you might get $5-10 for them each on Ebay (a slight bit more if you are lucky), but keep your expectations VERY low. These are common games that are either all readily available at any toy store (or thrift store for that matter), or are dated and out of fashion. I assume the Mill game is actually Nine Men's Morris.

Good luck with them, whatever you do!

OK.. I'm not looking to make a bunch of money off them, I just don't want them laying around my house. If I can sell the whole box for $20 I'll be happy. I just figured being from 1950's and 1960's in good condition they may be worth more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can probably get $20 or a slight bit more for the box on craigslist or Ebay. It would be a tough sell on this website, though, because I think the most interested buyer would likely be a collector of 50's and 60's kitsch. This is a site of board game players, and most of us have gravitated to this site to move beyond basic games like these.

Not to say there wouldn't be a buyer here, but I think you'll have better luck in more mainstream channels.

Now if you had said your box had 3M games with wooden tiles - then we'd be having a different conversation altogether!

Anyway, welcome to the site and welcome to our wonderful hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Zavala
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
joewyka wrote:
You can probably get $20 or a slight bit more for the box on craigslist or Ebay. It would be a tough sell on this website, though, because I think the most interested buyer would likely be a collector of 50's and 60's kitsch. This is a site of board game players, and most of us have gravitated to this site to move beyond basic games like these.

Not to say there wouldn't be a buyer here, but I think you'll have better luck in more mainstream channels.

Now if you had said your box had 3M games with wooden tiles - then we'd be having a different conversation altogether!

Anyway, welcome to the site and welcome to our wonderful hobby!

3M with wooden tiles? Sheeww right over my head. lol
I'm not trying to sell them here, someone emailed me off craigslist ad and told me this site and said someone could probably help me find the values. Cuz I had no idea where to start. Thank you for the reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
this is definitely the place to ask, and i'll try to clarify a bit- the problem is that those are all "american mass-market" games, meaning not only were TONS of them made, but they're all still available brand new in some form currently... and so yours would be, for the most part, about equivalent to a used paperback- the content is worth whatever enjoyment you can get out of it, but the resale value is a small fraction of the cover price.

in particular because they frequently will turn up at garage sales/goodwill, complete and for $1 or less. if one of them happens to say it's the 1st edition, that might change things, but otherwise your best bet would be to ebay them- probably all bundled together if you're just trying to get them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We see our role as essentially defensive in nature.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to know what the games are before suggesting anything regarding their value....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
prael wrote:
I'd like to know what the games are before suggesting anything regarding their value....

she already said

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We see our role as essentially defensive in nature.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but what years, etc. An cool old game of Password in pretty good condition might be of interest to BGGers.... A pic of the game boxes would be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Cloquet
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
your best bet is to just list the whole lot on craigslist for $10-$20

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Zavala
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
truekid wrote:
this is definitely the place to ask, and i'll try to clarify a bit- the problem is that those are all "american mass-market" games, meaning not only were TONS of them made, but they're all still available brand new in some form currently... and so yours would be, for the most part, about equivalent to a used paperback- the content is worth whatever enjoyment you can get out of it, but the resale value is a small fraction of the cover price.

in particular because they frequently will turn up at garage sales/goodwill, complete and for $1 or less. if one of them happens to say it's the 1st edition, that might change things, but otherwise your best bet would be to ebay them- probably all bundled together if you're just trying to get them out.

Someone told me that if they were made before the 70's they weren't mass produced and would be worth more... but hell I don't know anything about it, the general consensus says they aren't worth much so I'll take y'alls word for it Going back in the attic for my kids

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Zavala
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
prael wrote:
Yeah, but what years, etc. An cool old game of Password in pretty good condition might be of interest to BGGers.... A pic of the game boxes would be cool.

Oh sorry.. they are all from the 50's and 60's and mostly brand new condition. I have pictures, where would I put them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can upload images to each individual game entry in the database by searching for the game, going to the page, and then clicking the Upload Image link.

You can also choose to upload all the images to your personal gallery here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/mygallery

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrea! These are worth gold. Take good photos off each one, upload them on the relevant game page including a caption giving the year and description. You will be credited with geekgold for each photo accepted.

Then play the games and write a nice session report for each game. This will earn you more geekgold.

Pretty soon, you'll have enough geekgold to sell through the BGG auctions for real money, actual USD. The current rate is around 1USD=7GG.

This way, you can make real money, and keep the games. Win Win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Andrea! These are worth gold. Take good photos off each one, upload them on the relevant game page including a caption giving the year and description. You will be credited with geekgold for each photo accepted.

Then play the games and write a nice session report for each game. This will earn you more geekgold.

Pretty soon, you'll have enough geekgold to sell through the BGG auctions for real money, actual USD. The current rate is around 1USD=7GG.

This way, you can make real money, and keep the games. Win Win!

You're assuming that she intends to stay on this site and spend hours doing something she's probably not going to enjoy, 7GG=1$ may be a nice bonus if you like doing the stuff that gets you GG, it's lousy if you're trying to do it for the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.