Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No joke. After clipping and assembling I timed how long this took. So if some of you out there are not great at detail painting (I do not have the eyesight I once had) I suggest highly you give drybrushing a shot.

Step one.
Take the assembled model and give it a very light brushing of a light color paint (I used grey). Be very gentle with this step, and there can be only a tiny amount of paint on the brush. I used a 3/4 inch wide brush to be able to quickly brush on the paint. Wipe the excess paint off your brush using a rag to be sure you do not get too much paint on the model.
Step two.
Allow the paint to fully dry, then apply another layer of paint in the same fashion, but feel free to apply it in less coverage- also, use a different color.
Step three.
Allow the paint to fully dry, then add a third color in even fewer areas of the model to get a variety. Use the same drybrush method.
Step four.
After all the paint dries, paint the bases black, and after dry, drybrush a bit of silver on the black bases.
Step five.
When all the paint is fully dry, quickly apply a coat of matte spray to protect the paint.
Step six.
Enjoy a game of 3rd edition Space Hulk!

I used water based acrylic paint for all steps.

This really brings out the detail of the models, and there is so much detail it would be a shame to miss out on it!

Here are all the 'stealers I painted today.

Here is a close up of one of the finished models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting choice of colors. Never seen before, but looks pretty cool. Kudos

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Will acrylics do ? I am not thinking of SH because I do not have that, but my nephew now has

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Interesting choice of colors. Never seen before, but looks pretty cool. Kudos

-shnar

My older 1st edition Genestealers were painted the more typical purple and blackish colors- I wanted something more reptile/dinosaur looking. Not to mention it just looks kind of mean and nasty.

Wait till you see the color scheme for the marines...
Thanks for the comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

Will acrylics do ? I am not thinking of SH because I do not have that, but my nephew now has

Thanks.

Well, I have used acrylics off and on for years and so far so good. Be sure to apply a protective coat when finished or the paint could rub off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommi
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have an idea on how to paint your miniatures in just five minutes!

Step one:
Lay your assembled models on the paper.

Step two:
Pour paint over the models straight from the bottle.

Step four:
Play the game.

No offence meant, but seriously:You would get better looking results just buy spraying undercoat on them and using a simple wash. That would make the details more visible.

These miniatures look great, they deserve a little work put into them. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 3: Underpants!

Step 5: Profit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomyrgon wrote:
I also have an idea on how to paint your miniatures in just five minutes!

Step one:
Lay your assembled models on the paper.

Step two:
Pour paint over the models straight from the bottle.

Step four:
Play the game.

No offence meant, but seriously:You would get better looking results just buy spraying undercoat on them and using a simple wash. That would make the details more visible.

These miniatures look great, they deserve a little work put into them. whistle

Well, I've tried just pouring paint over them in the past, but they tend to stick to the paper when the paint is dry, very much like glue.
I assume you have tried this method,since you suggest it?

Do you have a secret as to keep the models from sticking to the paper after the paint dries?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Why not paint the first coat while the pieces are still on their sprues ?

Any details can be dded on individually assembled minatures afterwards.

No ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, you can do everything before assembly. I just happened to assemble mine first. In some ways doing it before assembly is better- you can reach some difficult areas easier, like the large Broodlords front area.
Thanks for the input, Gordon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

And no thumbs up for my suggestion...it will take me 10 years to get an avatar at this rate laugh

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies.

Oversight rectified.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the how your Genestealers turned out, volnon. A neat contrast in styles and appearance compared to the recent lesson in painting for the Terminators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks BradyLS.
I will be the first to admit they are as far away from "the Warhammer Look" that you could get, but I really just wanted to do something not only easy but also different.
Also, it allowed me to hurry up and play the game with painted figures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Thanks Steve. Maybe now it will be 9 years before I get an avatar laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommi
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
Thanks BradyLS.
Also, it allowed me to hurry up and play the game with painted figures!

If by "painted figures" you mean: "painted figures that look like a three years old slapped some fingerpaint on them", then yes by all means do this.

I really am not just trying to be an as*hole here and I am sorry if I offend you. Im just saying that my honest opinion is that just by doing that, your figures really look like some kid got wild. As I said these figures are great and you can easily enchance them just by using a simple wash if you are not that keen on the whole painting-process.

So it kind of amazes me that someone would want to do this instead, and actually be so proud of the results to post a "how to" -guide here. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate your candor, Tomyrgon, but lets be real- not everyone has the skill to paint miniatures to the high level you obviously are able to.
In those cases, I offer a solution to those people who cannot paint with fantastic skills, cannot find/afford to hire someone like you to paint them,yet still want to do something to make their models look different.

You say you are not wanting to be offensive, but stating your opinion twice in two different posts that what I have done looks childish and of poor quality has already exceeded the "offensive" area.

Like it or not, your interest in this post shows you are at least
looking at my paint work and therefore that is complimenting me. The more you post, the more you are saying, even in an insulting manner,"I gotta look one more time at volnons Genestealers!"

Thanks for for your left-handed support, old chap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, believe it or not, I use a very similar method when painting my Plague Monk cloaks in WFB. You're technique is perfectly valid, regardless of what the others say.

That said, a wash of colour would help smooth the effect and give a much nicer look with little real effort. Washing the skin in a different colour would also give a more obvious effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Can See You
United States
Warrenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, I like the idea for your Genestealers, and I think I prefer your color scheme to the standard black and purplish.

Some people hate dry brushing for whatever reason, I think it's a useful tool.

One trick that may be useful when dry brushing, or even painting up multiple layers for highlights, is to follow with a wash of the previous color. Say you start with gray and dry brush a dark green. When the green is dry, water down the gray and slop it on the model. The wash will settle into the crevasses and help to blend the two colors. After the wash dries you dry brush a standard green and let it dry. Water down the dark green and slop it on, etc. Doesn't add much time to the process and really smooths out the colors.

Here's an example of no wash between coats of dry brush. I was trying to get the veins to really pop out from the background.

This mini was painted using washes between coats of paint. I was hoping to make the fabric look more flowing. This mini also has had a layer of dark wash (equivalent of dip) applied as a final step - don't have any in progress at the moment.

Edit: Added pics - my apologies for the lighting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matt and Slev.

I will give the figures another quick wash of dark grey just see how it turns out.

Yes, there is a school of thought that drybrushing is simply not "good enough" for some miniatures, but the bottom line is if the owner of the figure likes the results, that is what counts.

Nice work, Matt. Thanks for showing the examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Can See You
United States
Warrenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
The bottom line is if the owner of the figure likes the results, that is what counts.

Quoted for truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Llama Herder wrote:
volnon wrote:
The bottom line is if the owner of the figure likes the results, that is what counts.

Quoted for truth.

I gotta third this. I'm not a great painter either, though I think my approach is now going to be something more like the dipping method. It seems to be almost as easy and will come up with results more to my liking.

Still, the point above remains, this particular painting style isn't my style or preference, but I'd bet that mine isn't his either, and who really cares as long as we both end up with something we like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:

Still, the point above remains, this particular painting style isn't my style or preference, but I'd bet that mine isn't his either, and who really cares as long as we both end up with something we like?

And that is the bottom line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well they certainly don't look out of place in the dank recesses of a spacehulk. Dim lighting, foul air, mold, fungus and whatnot on the walls and floors. I always wondered how the usual paint scheme surprised the marines... I mean the purple on some is pretty vibrant. Nice job... they do look good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys- the Genestealers are still doing just fine, running around killing Space Marines and having a blast!

They actually look better now after they have been handled a bit, giving them a bit of the old "wear and tear" look of an old battle-hardened alien creature!

Everyone who has seen them in person thinks they look pretty damn good- and some of them have seen some pretty good paint jobs elsewhere.

Space-Hulk On!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.