Subject: Could this game work with a dummy player in 2 player games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Togu Oppusunggu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
After reading that the game is a bit solitaire-ish with just two players, I was wondering if anyone thought this might work as a 2-player game with a dummy third player. I've enjoyed this kind of variant with Dampfross and Alhambra.

The other option is to lower the size of the gameboard, and I see that there's another thread in this forum that seems to show a good variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I was curious so I watched the video. It took about 5 minutes to load and went so fast that I did not grasp anything about the gameplay angry

Sorry, but this must rank as the worse video I have ever watched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
I also quite enjoy this 2-player, although some games you just won't be in, thanks to consistently bad card draws.

I don't think a dummy player would work, however.

Why not try removing all the fire cards - See if it makes it a tighter game.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the cards are random (which is possibly the downside to the game overall, but I like it well enough) I found it hard to isolate yourself to 'be solitaire' in the two player game. The trick seems to be not to give up too many sweet spots for the other player to pounce on.

Just adding another start tile or two might make things more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odinsday wrote:
Because the cards are random (which is possibly the downside to the game overall, but I like it well enough) I found it hard to isolate yourself to 'be solitaire' in the two player game. The trick seems to be not to give up too many sweet spots for the other player to pounce on.

Just adding another start tile or two might make things more interesting.

The additional start tiles might be interesting. Even with two players, the benefits of keeping your developments and farmers near existing settlements (in additional scoring) and the inability to keep all your cards for one area, or keep your opponent out, meant that things seemed nice and interestingly clustered around two big settlements in the game.

More start tiles might allow people to break that up into more starting settlements, diffusing the action even more?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike V
United Kingdom
South Brent
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
>>the game is a bit solitaire-ish with just two players

Couldn't disagree more with this assessment. This is one of those games that seems pretty random at first; the interaction is subtle and takes a while to sink in. There's alot of interaction in the form of knowing where to place your settlers/buildings relative to your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.