United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
The title pretty much says it all. I have my workspace all set up, I know I need paints, brushes etc - but where is the best place to get them?

Is there a brand that I should definitely pick up? Cheapest place to get them online?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For beginners (or those out of practice), I'd recommend:

- 3 brushes (fine, standard and drywash)
- white spraypaint primer
- what colors you need for your models (primary colors plus others)
- clear spraypaint varnish

You could add inks into that for washes, but thinning your paints down with water would be good enough for now. Your basic techniques are:

1. Clean the model: use your exacto knife to clean flash lines.
2. Prime the model: spray paint it white (some prefer black, but especially for beginners, I like white). Not too thick, just enough to cover the model.
3. Paint a base color on the different sections (like red on the armor, silver on the guns, etc).
4. Paint a "wash" of a darker color on the sections (dark red/brown on the armor, black on the guns, etc).
5. Dry brush with a lighter color (light red on armor, light silver on guns, etc).
6. Apply a varnish sealer.

That's it in a nutshell (which is why "dipping" is so much easier and faster). As for the types to get, I usually just get Games Workshop paints/brushes/etc. It may be a little more expensive, but it's easier.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Delta paints which in Canada sell for about $1.00 and the bottles are bigger than the GW brand (which I use to buy but were expensive for the amount you were getting)and do a great job.
For a primer I use Krylon (Ultra Flat Black or you could use white depending on your preference). It's probably best to prime your models outside or in a well ventilated area because the paint smell will last a long time and some people may not enjoy it (eg. like my wife).
Some people will do a quick job (base coat and perhaps 2 other colors on the majority of their models and then spend considerable time on heroes or Command models)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gong
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I just put in a order myself... went with thewarstore.com

It really depends what technique you want to use to paint your minis. I went with doing it the right way with no dipping and shortcuts. If this is the way you want to go let me know and i'll let you know what I picked up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom

Carmel
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GW sells a hobby starter set - http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?...

It comes with foundation paints, which are pigment-heavy and cover very easily. It comes with one of their standard brushes, which is kind of big. I would add in a detail brush and a drybrush., and maybe a few washes.

If you want to go all out, you could look through their painting guide and pick up all the colors they use: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=40...

Don't buy direct from GW, get it from thewarstore.com. You'll have to call it in, since GW doesn't let anyone sell there stuff online, but it will be 20% cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy paint at walmart. After the model is clear coated or dipped you can't tell the difference and saved about 10 bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
big__rhino wrote:
Just buy paint at walmart. After the model is clear coated or dipped you can't tell the difference and saved about 10 bucks.

Just their craft paint? That seems almost too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Jackson

APO
US Armed Forces - Pacific
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say heck no to buying paints at wal-mart. I'm sure others have had better luck than I have, but in my limited experience when it comes to paints and brushes the quality of the brushes and paints is evident in the final product. I'm sure that is just a sign of my own horrific painting abilities! When I started buying better quality of brushes (which I do still buy at Wally, just the higher end ones) they were simply easier to use. It's still a good idea to use older/crappier brushes for dry brushing and varnishing because those methods can destroy your brushes.

As far as the paint, when I tried some of the cheaper brands it also just didn't add up. Even after varnishing I've been able to easily chip some of the paint off of models with my fingernails. GW brands just seem to last longer and work better for me. Again, probably just brand-name-brain washing robot. I do use the Krylon ultra-flat black for most of my undercoating. But, if you go that route you need to shake the paint can like it owes you money! Anything less and it may spray an uneven texture on your model. Good luck and take lots of pics for us!!! I have Space hulk on the way, as well as two 40K armies that have sat untouched because I am too lazy to paint, so I'm trying to jump back in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it depends if you intend to do a "Dip" paint-job (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/441415) or a "full" paint job (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/439555). Dip is less demanding in it's component needs.

Paints: ones designed for minis are best, people will recommend different brands, it's a matter of personal preference. As a minimum, you want the three primary colours, plus black, white and metallic silver (unless you inted to do non-metallic metals). It will depend on your colour scheme as to exactly what you want.

Brushes: Small, medium, large. Try and find a decent quality, a few extra pence will typically buy you much better a brush. Go for quality where possible. You'll need to go to your local arts supplier or gaming shop for these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm also a noob at painting and I would like the following answered please.

How well do you need to clean the models? I have loosely washed (i.e. left the models to soak for a few mins and shook in the water) with washing up liquid and then rinsed them.

And do you need any specific primer or will a coat of white/black acrylic paint do to prime the models?

The reason I ask is I washed as above the models earlier and dabbed them dry then left for a few hours. I then painted 3 of them black, then when dry added a coat of orange then again when dry added red. while I was adding the orange and red coats where I were holding the models the back was coming off quite easily. Am I doing anything wrong what has sprung to mind is I have not cleaned them up sufficiently or I need a specific primer?

Also what is the best way to remove paint from unwanted hard to reach areas?

Thanks.
Andy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use normal craft paint and lightly washed my models as well. I sprayed a layer or two of clear spray before spraying it black. It holds up pretty good and doesn't chip when I intentionally scratch my models after it's been fully painted. But I clear spray it after I'm done anyway.

For removing, try soaking it in Green Stuff. It doesn't mess with the plastics so I'm told (only heard of it being done, never had a reason to do it myself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
peltazoid wrote:
Hi, I'm also a noob at painting and I would like the following answered please.

How well do you need to clean the models? I have loosely washed (i.e. left the models to soak for a few mins and shook in the water) with washing up liquid and then rinsed them.

And do you need any specific primer or will a coat of white/black acrylic paint do to prime the models?

The reason I ask is I washed as above the models earlier and dabbed them dry then left for a few hours. I then painted 3 of them black, then when dry added a coat of orange then again when dry added red. while I was adding the orange and red coats where I were holding the models the back was coming off quite easily. Am I doing anything wrong what has sprung to mind is I have not cleaned them up sufficiently or I need a specific primer?

Also what is the best way to remove paint from unwanted hard to reach areas?

Thanks.
Andy.

Sounds like you cleaned them properly.

Any primer designed for minis should suffice.

I have seen something like this happen when figures are a certain shape (not the case with Space Hulk though).
If it's giving you grief, re-undercoat, then apply a *thin* layer of spray-varnish, and let it dry overnight. This should lock the paint down so you can get to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.