Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Hargraves
United States
Danbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the Ghoul's ability's reads:

"When you kill an Enemy in battle, you may raise it from the dead and keep it as a Follower instead of a trophy. You may have one of your raised Followers add its Strength to yours for one battle, after which it desintegrates to the discard pile. You may only use one raised Follower per battle."

A situation came up when the Ghoul was fighting the Lord of Darkness and discarded a (previously raised) Craft based enemy to add 5 to his Craft skill to help win the fight (LOD can be fought with Strength or Craft).

Was this legal?

The official ability doesn't specifically list Craft based Enemys as raisable. The game does tend to capitalize words that are meant to be read literally (I did so in the quote above, where the Ghoul's card does).

Strength is there ..... Craft isn't.

Thanks for any insight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Since you add its strength to yours in battle, I would say no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, because you do not fight craft enemies in "Battle". You fight them in "Psychic Combat". The game and manual do make a distinction between them. "Battle" is combat with strength only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hargraves
United States
Danbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh - it's the "Battle" keyword that has it make sense.

I wasn't making the destinction between "Battle" and "Phychic Combat", thinking that Strength and Craft fights were different kinds of "battles" when in fact, as you say, "battle" only refers to fighting with "strength".

I also see that in the rulebook now. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T L
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player mistake there. If they had chosen to fight with strength instead of craft, the follower could have been used. I've played the game countless times, and there is always some little thing like this that comes up and screws you. The Warhorse is another follower that can be immensely powerful and devastating for the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hargraves
United States
Danbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny that you mention the Warhorse. I thought he was overpowered as well ... but then I focused on the keywords "craft value". This means just the base starting value of your craft, not any accumulated "craft counters" gained along the way.

I had the Warhorse as the Assassin with 3 craft counters. At first I thought the Warhorse would add +6 (+3 starting craft stats + +3 counters) to my strength.

..... but, since it specifically says craft "value", I only get the +3 from what is written on the Assassin's card and ignore my counters.

I realized this while reading the example between the wizard and giant on page 11. Notice when he uses Psionic Blast he only adds his "base value" of 5 craft to the sum and leaves out his 2 craft counters.

Thus, the Warhorse is only 1/2 as powerful as I 1st thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T L
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the same thing happen, but it's still quite powerful especially as you pointed out with someone playing as the Wizard who adds 5 craft points. Along with strength value and counters, plus an item and followers that adds to strength, even a low craft value will help out tremendously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.