Subject: Wolves of Greyhaven - attack twice interpretation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. G.

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This card is from one of the expansion packs (I think) and has the text:

Melee: If this ally attacks during the melee phase, it may attack twice instead of once.

It has 8 cost, 4 life, 4 stamina, and combat: 3/0, 4/1, 2/1

Do you interpret the attack twice as:
a) may attack in magic phase if it attacks in melee phase
b) makes 2 attacks in melee phase

And assuming b (a seems to well covered in the rules) what happens if one attack succeeds and one fails or both fail, do the wolves take damage once or twice respectively (implying that the monster can hit twice in melee).

From reading other questions on here, hydra clarification, etc, I get the impression they may have 2 melee phases, risking damage both times. This would lead to the question, why does this cost 8? Compared to every other 8 cost ally I could find, I can not come up with an interpretation that justifies that price. I don't expect all cards to be balanced, but this seems way out of whack. Maybe there is an argument for "when you really really need to do one more damage to finish something off, now you can roll a second time if you screw up the first roll." In any other scenario 4/2 beats 2x(4/1), and if you compare against other 8 cost allies, say, Ingan the Bold, Lion of Frostgate, Arrowhounds, Runesmith Shan, these guys are total crap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's b), for sure. I agree that they don't stack up to other 8-costers, but 2x(4/1) is better than 4/2 in a lot of cases because you usually do need the Ally to just get in that single point of damage and this guy gets two attempts.

He is risking damage both times, but perhaps that ability is best used against a 0-damage melee adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Arbelaez
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's B, and they can get hit twice if they don't make successful attack rolls.

Of course, there might be better allies out there for the money, but they don't seem totally overpriced... they add variety to the game. same thing happens with lots of weapons, some are better than others in the same price range, but you won't be able to have access to all of them in a particular game, they're meant to give randomness to the market decks and replayability to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.